Thread: Equipment Ideas

Equipment Ideas

Working late nights I get alot of time to read, and think.

And I was thinking of creating a Post-DW ICON game . . . and I had two new equipment Ideas, both based on Modern Equipment:

Tactical Optical Aim Assist System (TOAAS)
    Description: Attachable/Detachable sensor that can be mounted on any type Three Phaser above the barrel.
    Semi-transparent optical screen held infront of the eye via a plastic band that wrest above an individuals ears, or secures via a headband (if no ears are present).
    Sensor transmits visual and/or sensor readings to the optical screen with an aiming reticle. Sesnor device "zero"s itself after the first shot after being attached and/or activated
    Effect: Adds +3 to phaser hit roll once "zero"ed, if optical screen worn properly.
    Duration: Optical Screen effective for 22 hours per recharge, while activated
    Energy Cost: Sesnor draws 1 power popint from the phaser every minute, while activated.

Defensive Vest
    Description: Synthetic Fiber vest, double layered, with an inner electical grid. Covers shoulders, and front and rear thorax and abdominal region. Replicable in assorted camoflauge patterns. Provides limited protection against bladed weapons, physical projectiles, and energy weapons for covered areas.
    Effect:
    Blade weapons - reduces damage by 5 points, effectiveness reduces by 1 point per area (R/L Shoulder, R/L & F/R Thorax, R/L & F/R Abdoman).
    Physical projectiles - reduces damage one time only by 8 points per area.
    Energy Weapons - reduces damage by 4 points, effectiveness reduces by 1 per strike, recharges every 45 seconds.
    Duration: Energy Weapon damage reduction last 4 hours per power unit
    Last edited by JALU3; 01-02-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Well the aiming device is more-or-less similar to the canon one which appeared in DS9 - in fact the DS9 one is a bit more advanced, being essentially a tricorder sensor. I think the power requirements are way on the high side for such a device, though - if it ran off a phaser I suspect it's more realistic to use 1Pow per hour of use. Personally though, I'd think it would have its own dedicated power supply like a tricorder with a fixed duration. I mean a tricorder power cell is good for 36 hours of continuous use with all functions active, but this thing is going to completely drain a phaser rifle's power cell in 25 hours? This sort of function is, IMNSHO, more-or-less equivalent to "limited use" of a tricorder, and a tricorder power cell is good for 1000 hours at that level of power consumption.

The vest seems a good fit for statting out the padded jackets ground forces wore over their uniforms in Nor the Battle to the Strong and The Seige of AR-558.

Owen pretty well covered my thoughts on the matter so I guess all I can add is "I agree."

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

OK, granted, I should adjust the power requirements . . . but that is as easy as editting the numbers. That doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea. The problem with the standard targetting apparatus on the Type III Phasers are just the same as your current rifles.
    However, I was thinking of the camera system on the OICWs, and thus the idea of using the optical screen to do just the same. The difference is that due to technology, the new equipment would be more compact.

As for the vest, I was thinking, why is it that, with the advent of lighter and stronger synthetic fabrics, they haven't developed a protective suit. It need not be any larger then a standard uniform, save from the obvious additional thickness.

Furthermore, with the experiences of the DW, even if these new pieces of equipment don't become standard issue, they can always be designed, tested, and placed within the replicator memory systems for emergency use.