Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek RPG rumor

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack
    If true I'd just hope they slow down their release schedule a little bit... While the pace of Decipher's releases was way too slow, I find they release much too many Babylon 5 products for my tastes. Your milage may vary.
    Yeah. One can hope that the UK-based company (where the US dollar is weak; bad economic time to be a PnP RPG publisher) won't follow the same business trend as TSR.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Well, not to play Devil’s advocate…

There is a double-good chance that even if this does good through, Trek might remain CODA:
    1) Mongoose publishes an updated ‘Paranoia’ RPG…in a non-D20, ‘classical’-format.
    2) If Decipher is working with them on this, then CODA is most likely ‘Grandfathered’ this time (Icon wasn’t, because Vul…er, Lose…um, ‘Wizards’ bought the company [LUG] outright, and intended on going D20...before they lost the license…and then the people…)

Over all, I can’t really see Trek as a 'D20'-type game (“I’m an eighth-level Engineer…”, just doesn’t roll out of one’s mouth), so I’m not worried. Mongoose does seem to know how to publish (including formats).
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Well to me things like background material/ souce material are more important than Actually Playing the Game, although I could concievably get around to that too eventually. And the people I'd be most likely to play it with would already be familiar with the system this way (more or less) so that's a plus. I'm actually glad to hear reason to believe that they might release a lot of stuff fast. But I do hope I won't want everything they produce.

Sticking with Decipher continuity and/ or Coda would be good too.

After speaking with my players it seems we'll definitely be unable to go D20. As Modem says... it just seems weird. And we're perfectly content with CODA... And, hell, I don't want to rewrite ESO!!!

But even if they go D20 I'll definitely examine their stuff very closely. I really wish they put up campaigns like they did for B5.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    Over all, I can’t really see Trek as a 'D20'-type game (“I’m an eighth-level Engineer…”, just doesn’t roll out of one’s mouth), so I’m not worried. Mongoose does seem to know how to publish (including formats).
    I can.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Talking

ooooh....cool.

D20 Star Trek bad!
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I can easily see a d20 Star Trek, it is not that much of a stretch from CODA's system.

But they could surprise me, after all I quite like B5 and I was pretty certain at the time that d20 wouldn't work for it.

Time will tell whether this is rumor or in the works.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

If nothing else, their schedule would probably be slowed down by Paramount's approval process. If so, maybe they'd actually have/take the time do improve their generally execrable editing.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Well it has been doing the rumour mills for a while, and yes i would much prefer to see more Coda products, and not a D20 one.. because there is no way i am running it, I am really gone off D20. I can see it happening, Decipher working with Mongose on cross liscencing their product, but the reality of that is the liscence for Decipher is running out.. On the plus side mongoose are unlikelly to go it alone and purchase the lisence from paramount, so it would make more sense to keep that partnership going , since Decipher shows no sign of abating their other trek lines.. I just hope they don't reprint revised versions of all the core rulebooks... just in time to get us all excited about suplements... and then lose the lisence to someone else - that could really suck!
    Ta Muchly

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/forum.php

this announcement this morning on the mongoose site makes it even more possible. Under general discussion.

Decipher and mongoose publishing the WARS rpg together based on Deciphers WARS card game.

(I'm unable to cut and paste full links for the last 2 days. strange.)
    Garet

I hope it's true if only because it means we may get a second edition Coda rulebook and we might get a Star Trek version of A Call To Arms, the starship combat game.

Time will tell.

Regards

Renny

Well, looks like we are getting A STAR TREK VERSION OF A CALL TO ARMS as well.

Curiouser and curiouser...
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Is "A Call To Arms" any good?

I just ordered my box a few days ago via amazon, because I'm such a big fan of Starship trivia and boxed sets. If I like it I'd definatley would want to see a StarTrek Version of it.
    Though it might be hard to get the miniatures over here in Germany, as Amazon.de doesn't feature them.

Mongoose said it would pretty much only sell the B5 minatures through its web site. Though others can carry them. The minitures and "a call to arms" have been selling beyond their expectations. I have the game, but haven't tried playing it yet. to many irons in the fire
    Garet

Well, the guys down at the FLGS have been RAVING over Call to Arms... they ran a demo, out of the box, and just the ship counters from the basic set filled the table (an 8x6 gaming table). Game seems to run VERY smoothly, and everyone there seems to enjoy it.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."