Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek RPG rumor

Talking

I've got call to arms and I use it for fleet engagment stuff for my B5 RPG. runs very smooth and caputres the frentic pace of B5 combat pretty well I think
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

A Call To Arms is a great game. It simulates the universe well, plays fast and is fun to boot.
    I've run several games with my group and they love it.
    I haven't bought miniatures for the game as you get hundreds of counters in the box . That will all change if Star Trek: A Call To Arms becomes a reality .
    Funnily enough, over on the Mongoose boards someone has already posted stats for the NX - 01 and an Enterprise era Bird Of Prey.
    Seriously, though. An officially licensed game with miniatures using these well tested rules would rock hard.
    Hope it's not all a pipe dream.

Cheers

Renny

Call me silly, but I think having many systems is cool. But I guess D20 is better than another completely new system.

Maybe we'll get a release rate somewhere in between, that would be good.

If they completely rewrite and expand the core rulebooks that'll be cool. I'd gladly settle for the Worlds book being the only new thing they manage to get out, but most of the others would be good to, such as Mirror.

If this is short lived, wouldn't it be wierd if GURPS is next? Maybe Hero.

HERO Trek?! That's just too frightening to consider...I don't want to have to be a Vulcan just to be able to play a Vulcan....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

well, matthew sprange got on the mongoose board and said rumor was false.

puts hands in pockets, walks off muttering, kicks at the ground
    Garet

Drat. I guess we go back to thinking nothing will ever happen at all? Well, anyway, Mongoose has now caught my attention and I may well get into some of their other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    Call me silly, but I think having many systems is cool. But I guess D20 is better than another completely new system.
    In Ferengi business sense, you already have an established D&D/d20 fanbase.

And if you don't like certain mechanics, you can look around other products for better mechanics. We've seen many different types of health systems from the age-old traditional HP to VP/WP to Damage saving throws. I've yet to see Mongoose's take on the health system based on their B5 and other OGL products.

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    If this is short lived, wouldn't it be wierd if GURPS is next? Maybe Hero.
    GURPS? It would be the first time they published a licensed product based a TV series, rather than a different RPG. Correct me if I'm wrong. But then again, there would be a conflict of game interest, since they allowed Amarillo Design Bureau to publish Prime Directive line (a Star Fleet Battles RPG based on Star Trek TOS) using their rules engine.

HERO? Steven Long might like that, but he is only 1 of 3 partners running Hero Games. Makes me wonder why Decipher didn't go to them first? Maybe they did but can't agree on the deal.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

PD is why I said it would be wierd if GURPS got it.

So apparently Mongoose isn't realy doing that Trek Call to Arms thing either? Is it possible Mongoose may do a TrekRPG at some point in the future although they don't have plans or a deal at this time?

Maybe... maybe they have an NDA... meaning... they cannot say a word, but in fact it's true! Yes! Yes! It must be it!

Aaaah, so the conspiracy theory begins...!!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Amazon is known for mistakes on their website. I remember the "Personal Log" for the Star Trek RPG.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Question

But where would Amazon.com get their info way before some company officially announce it?

Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

someone suggested this whole thing was an intentional hoax by some miscellaneous person.

Another country heard from...

From a thread on this topic on RPG.net's forums:

I'm glad Matt confirmed the rumor is false. I talked to Decipher today and they also told me the same thing, but I'm currently bound under an NDA regarding discussing details of licensing when other negotiations were pending. I can say that based upon what I was told today, CODA fans will be pleased with the news that will be released this year from Decipher regarding the license. There is hope for the future of the game.
    www.d20zines.com

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Raise hopes, lieutenant!

Hopes raised!

Thanks for the info!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

I shall wait and see if the words actually become truth rather then just another statement that is not followed through upon.

I would rather see Mongoose with the license at this point, even if their editing leaves a fair amount to be desired.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."