Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek RPG rumor

Yeah, Mongoose got a lot of flacks about their editing performance, with the original printing of Conan RPG that pretty much top the cake. The Atlantean Edition should be the corrected printing.

Perhaps anyone living in the UK should inquire about an editing/proofreading job at Mongoose. Then again, who'd want to live with that kind of stressful pressure?

Mongoose may have gotten Paranoia XP (which is a good thing since the game designers didn't fare well with Marvel Universe RPG ... LOL!), but I know that without d20 the company would not have gotten started.

I don't know about you guys, but deep down my sinister dark heart, I'd rather let Steve Kenson at Green Ronin do Star Trek RPG.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Mongoose is not as bad as Bastion Press for editing though I do like BP's Oathbound setting.

However, in the end it all comes back to no matter what our preferences, we're left waiting to see what happens.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Mongoose would be good, or involvement by people who've worked on Trek before, like Kenson. I guess SJohn Ross doesn't want anything to do with it.

From his comments I suspect S John Ross doesn't like the idea of D20 so much as he doesn't like Mongoose
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Perhaps anyone living in the UK should inquire about an editing/proofreading job at Mongoose. Then again, who'd want to live with that kind of stressful pressure?
    I've known people who've done proof-reading work for Mongoose. It's a pretty high-pressure job with very tight deadlines and low pay - presumably leading to a lack of attention? They have a similar reputation for house writers.

The schedule is all important to them.

Not something I'd want to deal with!

Spurred by the conversation, I finally got around to picking up the Earth Alliance book for B5 (which I've been working my way up to for months). After a thirty-minute read-through I spotted over a half-dozen typos, and a table sat in the middle of some explanatory text which disagreed with the examples next to it (the number of senators per nation if anyone wants to look)!

The main editing was also somewhat off: while there was a lovely section on the organisation of the ground forces; there was nothing equivalent on the fleet. And frankly, most of the national stereotypes provided (why?) were at least patronising (although as a Brit, maybe I'm a bit over-sensitive) - and some of them could be deemed offensive I'd say that was stuff that should have been caught early in the process.

Nice piccies though - and where it's good - it's very good.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Quote Originally Posted by Imagus
    Not something I'd want to deal with!
    And yet it is the #1 re-occuring problem I have with recent RPG products. Perhaps increasing their pay would give them incentive to increase their job performance as editors and proofreaders. But I sincerely doubt it would.

Then again, from the customer side, I'm not paying more -- the equivalent price of a collector's edition product -- just to have that kind of editing quality. The editing quality standard should be high, regardless if it's for a collector's product or a standard unlimited edition product.

I make no apology about how I feel.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Somebody posted on the Mongoose boards that Decipher told their dagents? that they would make a announcement next week concerning the Star Trek rpg. Here's hoping.
    Garet

*Anouncement Decipher is releasing new Startrek products In February 2005* *

Wow yes it's quite easy to do that, now if only wishes were horses

* Disclaimer, I have no insider knowledge, I'm just messing with your heads
    Ta Muchly

Then again, from the customer side, I'm not paying more -- the equivalent price of a collector's edition product -- just to have that kind of editing quality. The editing quality standard should be high, regardless if it's for a collector's product or a standard unlimited edition product.
    More pay would always be good, but the RPG industry is the wrong place to make any decent money as a writer or an editor or proofreader. Some companies pay attention to the editing process, many don't. Especially the smaller presses--they spend so much on art and printing, that they either self-edit or have someone else in the company edit. Sometimes this works, usually it means errors.

IOW, if you're not going to get paid your full worth, you might as well perform less than your full worth.

Unethical, yet not unusual.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I wonder if anyone we haven't heard from in a while might possibly be secretly working on stuff for Decipher. It seems Don hasn't posted since October...

IOW, if you're not going to get paid your full worth, you might as well perform less than your full worth.

Unethical, yet not unusual.
    I don't personally know anyone who works with that philosophy. If I hired someone and found out they had that attitude, I'd find someone else rapidly. And that's the last attitude I'd express to my employer.

Seriously, can anyone say their job is paying them their full worth? I'm certainly not, but I put in 110% every day, every job I'm paid for. It's not just good business, it's good business.

Talking

If every person on this green Earth have your attitude despite being underpaid, Ineti... this world would be less cynical, and I don't harbor any grudge against humaniti. I still don't believe it is a species worth saving, but I can put it off for another year.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    I wonder if anyone we haven't heard from in a while might possibly be secretly working on stuff for Decipher. It seems Don hasn't posted since October...
    Don's been rather busy with his "real" job and family. In fact, this March, he'll be getting a lot busier...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Don's been rather busy with his "real" job and family. In fact, this March, he'll be getting a lot busier...

With job, or family?

Let us know... we are hopelessly nosey!

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."