Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Interesting Development Brewing?

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityDoctor
    As an aside, and probably totally inappropriately for this board, where do you recommend I start looking for more info on this forthcoming WARS rpg thingy?
    Mongoose Publishing is the company working on it, so I'd suggest checking out their site and forum.

www.mongoosepublishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    Mongoose Publishing is the company working on it, so I'd suggest checking out their site and forum.

www.mongoosepublishing.com

Thanks Ineti, I do actually post on the Mongoose Boards, I buy a lot of their games and I'm running CONAN at the minute, but they haven't dedicated any space to WARS beyond the initial announcement yet.

I was looking more for a starting point on the background and storylines for the game. I took a look at the Decipher site, but everything seems scattered all over the place, snippets here, fanfic there, it made my head hurt (running CONAN has probably reduced my IQ) and wading through CCG posts would be laborious at best as I really don't do card games.

read the fanfic for storyline and details on factions. i wouldn't worry too much about the ccg stuff.

as posted last week, decipher still plans to support trek rpg at the summer cons. doug is heading up gencon. schedule with module names, and other details to be posted soon. they will also be supporting lotr, not that that would be a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by jened
    as posted last week, decipher still plans to support trek rpg at the summer cons. doug is heading up gencon. schedule with module names, and other details to be posted soon. they will also be supporting lotr, not that that would be a surprise.
    Yep. Tim Creese of "Tales of Middle-Earth" fame will be coordinating the LOTR side of things. More details as they get finalized. I may be trolling for Narrators, so keep that in mind...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Does anyone think the recently announced Enterprise cancellation will affect Decipher's plans to publish more rpg material? Will they see Star Trek as a dying franchise?

(EDIT: Mind you, I suppose Lord of the Rings isn't going to be spawning any sequels anytime soon, so maybe it just isn't that important...)

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityDoctor
    Does anyone think the recently announced Enterprise cancellation will affect Decipher's plans to publish more rpg material? Will they see Star Trek as a dying franchise?

(EDIT: Mind you, I suppose Lord of the Rings isn't going to be spawning any sequels anytime soon, so maybe it just isn't that important...)
    i'm sure it had to be a factor. who knows how small or large. don used to say the books were selling and the line was profitable but not profitable enough. i still think money has to be the main factor (as for any business producing a product).

I expect that Decipher's plan is to publish the material that's ready, or that can be made ready without too much effort. Then they will close the line. Since the investment has already been made, and probably written down, this is a low risk expenditure, even if sales are poor. About the only risk is that if sales are so bad they can't recoup the cost of printing. And history suggests that won't be the case, unless they've alienated all their customers. I don't believe they have.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balok
    And history suggests that won't be the case, unless they've alienated all their customers. I don't believe they have.
    Well, not for lack of trying, mind you.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Well, not for lack of trying, mind you.
    Certainly not for lack of trying. It would be hard to treat customers with less respect than Decipher has, although I've seen it done.

But my situation is that I'd consider purchasing a well made book (i.e. up to the standards of the previously published material), which means that they haven't completely alienated at least me. I'm probably not entirely alone...

Worlds would be of less use to me than the class books (I think there's one called Seekers in the pipe) -- I forget the industry term for those kinds of books right now, but they offer more of a framework for developing interesting characters.

Decipher has promoted Timothy Creese to RPG Assistant for the dAgents (Decipher volunteers). He will be working with decipher volunteers to grow both the trek and lotr rpg lines. Also as of this morning according to Decipher, the dispute with Paramount is still continuing.