Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fillion Flies Again In Serenity

Fillion Flies Again In Serenity

FYI,

Nathan Fillion, star of the upcoming SF movie Serenity, told SCI FI Wire that he's enjoying the transition to film from his canceled Fox series Firefly.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30103

I've been a Star Wars fan since '77, but if I had to choose between seeing Ep 3 and Serenity, Joss Whedon would have my ticket money in a heartbeat, no hesitation or thought required.

Anybody heard any rumors about the plot? Last I heard, they were going to do a lot about River and the blue hand guys. Personally, I want to know what Book's story is. And there's gotta be some great Jayne moments. Ditto for Wash. And Kaylee. And Zoe, Simon, Inara, and Mal. And as long as I'm wishing for things, let's have some more of Jubal Early; he blows away Boba Fett as the coolest bounty hunter ever.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I certainly want to see Mr. Early again...if not in Serenity, than in the subsequent series. (Hey, I can dream. )
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Glau: Firefly Secrets Revealed
    Summer Glau, who reprises the role of the mysterious River in the upcoming Firefly movie, Serenity, told SCI FI Wire that fans will finally learn some of the secrets behind her character.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30111

A discussion thread on another forum was about whether the Firefly show is set in a single solar system or several systems. I don't think it's ever been mentioned explicitly on the show.

There's no evidence of FTL drives being used in any episode. I don't think the Serenity has an FTL drive, but this doesn't rule out Alliance ships having such drives.

One theory is that the frontier colony moons are in the outer part of the system, while the core worlds consist of Earth, maybe Mars and maybe a few moons in closer to Earth.

The problem with that is the reference to the "Earth That Was" in the series. It seems to indicate that Man in this region has long since abandoned Earth, and that either the planet no longer exists or they have no contact with it.

That tells me that this takes place far from our solar system.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I must be the only person in the world that hates Firefly.

I just can't get away with the concept of "Wild West in Space".
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Setvenharis
    You're not; my wife can't stand it, either.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Setvenharis

I just can't get away with the concept of "Wild West in Space".
    Star Trek TOS have been dubbed as the "Wagon Train to the Stars." They got an episode that featured the Gunfight at OK Corral scene. TNG also have a "wild west" episode.

Tattooine have that wild frontier motif in Star Wars right down to the Mos Eisley Cantina.

It's hard NOT to think of space on the fringes of the galaxy or territory similar to the Wild Wild West.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

FYI,

Minear: Serenity Will Surprise
    Tim Minear, executive producer of the short-lived Fox SF television series Firefly, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming feature-film version of the show, Serenity, will have treats for the devoted fans.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30242

I can recall that they subtley changed the title sequence from the pilot to the later shows. they changed the wording to imply the colonies were much bigger than a single system, which is more or less how it sounds.. I should go back and listen again, I can't remember exactly what but I think it's all basically part of the smoke and mirrors.

I think Joss deliberatelly kept it very vague as to what the processes were involved in the show, if it was one system, many or hundreds. There is however *NO* way it's Earths solar system, there are FAR to many planets seem to be plausible and, terraforming or not, none of the outer planets moons are inhabitable in our solar system. Mars could be at a pinch, but it is always going to be a marginal planet, however most humans can't survive on moons with no air or light (jupiter gets less than 50% of the light that Earth does.. Pluto gets less than 1%!!!) and several hundred degrees below zero. Teraforming could transform a marginal planet into a Earth like, but the implication on the show is they don't have the kind of technology where they could move whole planets out of orbit !

I think there must be SOME kind of FTL on the show, because they just don't seem to be going that slow, and even planetary hops can take ages at relativistic speeds. It is likelly the 'moons' are just what they sound like, smaller than average planetoids, or Earth type worlds in orbit of other larger planets, and it's also likelly that several planets might exist in the same system, it's just the likely that the 'Goldilocks zone' round each sun containing dozens of planets is just too rare!

it's also very vague what they mean by 'Earth that was' Perhaps it just got so messed up and poluted people abandoned it in their droves to found these new colonies, or maybe they had a scortching war.. Those two theories do make you ponder why they couldn't then re-teraform it, so perhaps it's something worse OR they are very far away.

There is a slim possibility it all exists in some Trinary Quadrinary system, which has dozens of habitable worlds, through a freak of nature, and they can get between stars in much less time than it would take normal travel between stars, hence explaining no obvious FTL

However the lack of technobabble in the show makes it refreshing and different.

I'm definatelly looking forward to the film. It should be fascinating to see what plot twist Joss comes up with this time!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar
    FYI,

Nathan Fillion, star of the upcoming SF movie Serenity, told SCI FI Wire that he's enjoying the transition to film from his canceled Fox series Firefly.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30103
    The show was not a hit and it failed. Serenity will be the next Catwoman. Sorry, Josh fans but mark my words. I liked Buffy his other series were however both lacking. Firefly being the worst it did not complete a full season. I know there are fans but I still think it is too soon and not enough of a fan base for a movie. Need a few more years. Took decades and a new fan base to discover other series that got films and relaunches like BSG and of course Star Trek. Some DVD sales is not going to make this a hit.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

I disagree. Do the movie while it is still fresh in everyone's mind, and everybody in the show's cast is still young.

You may have cast the show as a failure, but you must take into account its programming schedule and its competition for the mainstream audience. Let's face it, God-themed Joan of Arcadia managed to appeal mainstream in that timeslot.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    I disagree. Do the movie while it is still fresh in everyone's mind, and everybody in the show's cast is still young.

You may have cast the show as a failure, but you must take into account its programming schedule and its competition for the mainstream audience. Let's face it, God-themed Joan of Arcadia managed to appeal mainstream in that timeslot.
    I respect that you disagree. I watched the first 4 episodes and I stopped watching TV all together that night. So did everyone else I knew did. With all my friends only one fan of the show and he is just that a fan. As for Joan of Arcadia I am not a fan. I know alot of fans were disappointed that Dark Angel was not renewed because they thought Firefly would be more successful. Sadly it was not.

I will do this. If Serenity is a success in the theatres that means being a real movie success that year. Making a profit in the theatres and not bombing like Catwoman I'll admit I am wrong and say you were all right to all the Firefly fans. Nothing bitter nothing.

But would any of you Firefly fans do the same if Serenity tanks? That means it does not make a profit in the theatres and thus not being successful? Can You?

Why is there no talk of a Buffy motion picture with Sarah Michelle Gellar and crew? Why this?
    Last edited by T'lara; 01-25-2005 at 07:37 PM.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    I respect that you disagree. I watched the first 4 episodes and I stopped watching TV all together that night. So did everyone else I knew did.
    You know me.

(Knew me well enough to insult me with those picture jokes of yours in the past. Long memories I have.)

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    Why is there no talk of a Buffy motion picture with Sarah Michelle Gellar and crew? Why this?
    Because Sarah moved on. And she should. 7 years is a long time to portray the Vampire Slayer.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan