Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW RELEASES FROM DECIPHER! (no, really!)

Cool NEW RELEASES FROM DECIPHER! (no, really!)

OK, so it's not Trek, it's LOTR, but hell, it's SOMETHING!

Announcement:

http://www.decipher.com/content/2005...trrpg2005.html

Starting April 2005, one new release every 8 weeks.

Here's hoping that they get kicking on the Star Trek license, too!
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

*Shrugs*

Meh. I'll believe it when I see it ... in my FLGS, that is.

BTW, is the most recent printing of the core rulebook the corrected version? What printing is it?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Casey
    OK, so it's not Trek, it's LOTR, but hell, it's SOMETHING!

Announcement:

http://www.decipher.com/content/2005...trrpg2005.html

Starting April 2005, one new release every 8 weeks.

Here's hoping that they get kicking on the Star Trek license, too!
    Hmm. If they follow through, it'll bring hope to the revivification of the Star Trek line.

But, as has been said, I'll see it when I have it in my hot little hands.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Exclamation

Oh, and let me clear something up, as I've gotten asked about it.

I do not have any official connection to Decipher, other than being a customer of their's. The information that I have posted on these boards comes from nothing more than items that I find while surfing the web and checking out various message boards and websites. Sadly, since I have been home from work on short-term disablity for a couple of weeks, I've had far too much time to do so!

However, the info posted above is about as official as it gets, as it comes from Decipher's own website. I found the link to this on a thread on RPG.net.

Hope that clears things up.

Hugh
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

Which unfortunately could be anything when it comes to their claims on the website.

So I will wait as others have said before me and when I see evidence of it actually existing then I shall believe that it is more then words.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

I wish Decipher's LOTR RPG would support creating one's own fantasy world to play in the Coda system.

The text of the announcement, the messages on the Decipher boards, and the Mongoose situation combined make it sound more likely that the TrekRPG will return as well.

I'm curious to hear what more of the people who worked on previous Icon and Coda products might have to say about some of this.

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    BTW, is the most recent printing of the core rulebook the corrected version? What printing is it?
    The second printing of the core rulebook has a blurb on the back cover talking about the awards it won. Most of the material in the official errata documents were reflected in the new printing.

I think both the first and second printings are available in stores, though, so take a good look if you go to buy. A couple of my local bookstores still have a copy or two of each printing on the shelves.

Cochrane, you should check out GandalfofBorg's Coda BSR, which takes the two RPGs and condenses it down into a basic, generic set of rules. He used it to create a Harry Potter game. I bet you could use it for generic fantasy.

And since you asked, speaking as a former playtester and freelance writer on the line, I'm happy to hear this material will finally come out. First, because I'll finally get paid the balance for the work I did; second, my friends and fellow freelancers will get paid for the balance of the work they did; and third, the fans will FINALLY get to see the great stuff contained in these books.

I guess I want something for Coda along the lines of the worldbuilding stuff for D&D, but more detailed, more systematic, and more intuitive. I guess maybe it should resemble worldbuilding for TrekRPGs, GURPS, and other SF RPGs, only for fantasy. I'm in the process today of worldbuilding for D&D, haven't really tried it from their instructions before. I have nothing against it so far, but I'm curious to see what Decipher could do for Coda along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    I guess I want something for Coda along the lines of the worldbuilding stuff for D&D, but more detailed, more systematic, and more intuitive. I guess maybe it should resemble worldbuilding for TrekRPGs, GURPS, and other SF RPGs, only for fantasy. I'm in the process today of worldbuilding for D&D, haven't really tried it from their instructions before. I have nothing against it so far, but I'm curious to see what Decipher could do for Coda along those lines.
    Okay, I gotcha. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see anything like that from Decipher, esp. on the LOTR line, since that's specifically for LOTR, naturally.

Might make a great article for the Hall of Fire webzine, though.

I'll believe it when I see it. :|
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    One baby-step at a time. They finally got their feet wet publishing a brand they can claim as their own, not licensed from somebody else.

The more the CODA fanbase grow, the better ... not like I'm hopeful about it.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

According to some posts on rpg.net what is being released are products which have already been written and in most cases, gone through layout.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I will keep an open mind, Dan. But I'll beleive it when I see it. Decipher's pulled a Talsorian and Palladium on us. Only thing that counts is product at this point. :|
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

BTW, does anyone still have the listing of TREK products that were ready for print, but not yet produced?

The only one that I can remember at this point is "Worlds".
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

I would soooooo love to have Worlds...
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!