Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where no film has gone before, and never will!

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    Or a 30th Century series, or 29th, or ancient Vulcan, or ancient Bajor...

If they can't handle the new 24th century tech, just imagine 29th or 30th...
    Oh, come on if they hire the same writers, even in the 50th century, phasers and photon torpedoes would still be the same (except maybe called "multi-phasers" and "hyper photonic torpedoes",) the Holodeck would still be giving them trouble, and every battle would have someone counting down, "shields down to 50%! Shields down to 20%! We can't take one more hit!"

Speaking seriously, though, I say it's time to put an end to the whole "ensemble cast" idea. It's great for a series, where attention can be focused on a different cast member every week, but for a good movie, there really should only be one or two primary characters. Keeps things focused.

IMHO, Star Trek (if it survives,) could really stand to return to the Horatio Hornblower paradigm.

Heh. I forgot for a sec we were talking about movies, not series. My ideas, or something Iconian, etc, would work much better as movies. Now, focusing mainly on one character for a movie would be good. Sulu? Young Picard? Maybe even Riker?

Heh. I forgot for a sec we were talking about movies, not series. My ideas, or something Iconian, etc, would work much better as movies. Now, focusing mainly on one character for a movie would be good. Sulu? Young Picard? Maybe even Riker?
    I say it doesn't matter, as long as the story and acting are good, and the writers don't get too worried about "Ret-Conning"....

A DW Movie

Then . . . if you only need one character to focus on . . . take someone familar, but not often seen, and follow them . . . during a Crucial period . . . like the Second Battle for Vulcan . . . or something like that . . . and give him/her a moral dilemma that would decide whether the good federation survives that battle or not . . . something that would go against his/her normal nature . . . and then make them live with it.

The time period would provide the action, the dilemma would provide the drama, and if they write it well . . . and the acting is good . . . it could lead towards a string of movies during this period . . . following this character and the squad/crew that surrounds him/her. Or it could be just a stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    Then . . . if you only need one character to focus on . . . take someone familar, but not often seen, and follow them . . . during a Crucial period . . . like the Second Battle for Vulcan . . . or something like that . . . and give him/her a moral dilemma that would decide whether the good federation survives that battle or not . . . something that would go against his/her normal nature . . . and then make them live with it.

The time period would provide the action, the dilemma would provide the drama, and if they write it well . . . and the acting is good . . . it could lead towards a string of movies during this period . . . following this character and the squad/crew that surrounds him/her. Or it could be just a stand alone.
    I nominate:

LIEUTENANT SAAVIK!

Selar or Taurik.

Or a 30th Century series, or 29th, or ancient Vulcan, or ancient Bajor...

If they can't handle the new 24th century tech, just imagine 29th or 30th...
    Ugh! My temporal migraine is acting up again.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I could make it worse for you if you like...

I guess I must be dumb because the problems of the time travel don't bother me. I think time travel is fun, I tend to enjoy it more than most other storylines.

I used to like time travel stories. I still rank Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in my favorite Trek list.

But when you are subjected to B&B version of time travel stories, they pretty much ruined it for me. Forgive me if I'm skeptical now.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

So I guess you don't like the Braxton stories. I like them, but I guess I can understand complaints about Endgame.

I found the interplay between Worf and Riker to be some of the most amusing moments in the Trek sequels and movies based on them.

Just think, if they choose to focus on one character for a movie, they are sure to use the absolute fan favorite. It will be the return of Wesley!

*grin*

Wonders if he should duck now...

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

No it'll be a background scene . . . him getting evaced by a corpsman . . . cause he has to live for that one seen in Nemesis.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. K. Vaughn
    Just think, if they choose to focus on one character for a movie, they are sure to use the absolute fan favorite. It will be the return of Wesley!

*grin*

Wonders if he should duck now...
    Well, to be honest with you, I hate the way they wrote and developed Wil Wheaton's character. Does some fault lies with the late Great Bird of the Galaxy? Perhaps.

I doubt there is no amount of creative licensing to redeem his TNG character anymore, which is sad, really. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a villainous role in ENTERPRISE, though. The "good boy turned serial killer" role for him.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Hah. :P

I think Ent should stick to the Founding of the Federation/Romulan Wars. But that would be an interesting story, maybe for a movie ?
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

I deem the destruction of Wesley and Janeway not through any fault of the actors that protrayed them but the fact that the writers failed phenomenally in both cases.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."