Thread: Command Senior Chief

Command Senior Chief

I know there is a Command Master Chief Petty Officer, much like there is a CSM in the Army and the Marines. But I have to ask is there an equivalent to a 1SG, like a Command Senior Chief Petty Officer?

Scroll down and you'll see nearly everything you'd ever care to on this subject.

http://rankmaven.tripod.com/NATO-92-RM.htm

This only partially answers my question . . . as I already know the difference of whether of CSM v SGM and 1SG v MSG. But what I am asking is does the Navy have an equivalent. What this explains is the presence of SMA, and it's office equivalents in the other three branches.

But what I am asking is . . . in the Navy and Coast Guard, is there an equivalent of a First Sergeant (1SG). And I am not refering to the AF rank of First Sergeant (which exist at the E-8 AND the E-7 grades).

My understanding is that there is not.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...tes/rates.html

However, what about this:
    http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../brstpin5.html

There is the Command Master Chief Badge . . . but why not one for an equivalent to a Senior Cheif? And is there a different badge for a COB?

Nevermind about that second question. I have found evidence that they use the same Badge as Command Master Cheif:

http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19568

Um, guys? Can you take it over to General Chat if you're going to keep this a discussion of US ranks? This is, after all the Star Trek Narrator's Ready Room. Even if you do eventually tie it into Starfleet ranks, it should probably be in Star Trek Chat.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    "Command" Master Chief is just a title. The chief's rank is master chief petty officer, and his position aboard the command/ship/etc. is the senior enlisted advisor to the CO. So, if a senior chief petty officer holds the position of senior enlisted advisor, he is called the Command Senior Chief.

Unlike the army and air force, the Navy doesn't provide different rank names for their senior enlisted advisors; this stems from the naval tradition of commanders not needing to look over a battlefield and tell which troops belong to him. Therefore, the naval service never required the more distinct uniforms that the army uses in their working environment.

So, to turn this into a Starfleet answer, the senior enlisted advisor should be the highest-ranking enlisted character on the ship. If it's a senior chief, then calling him the Command Senior Chief is entirely appropriate. Note that Starfleet may differ from the U.S. Navy in that the position may be a collateral duty (rather than the chief's only job, as it is at most commands in the Navy). So, the chief will likely also be the Senior Chief Warp Drive Technician in addition to being the Command Senior Chief.

For a Chief as the senior enlisted advisor, I would suggest using the submarine title "Chief of the Boat" (which applies to the senior-most enlisted crewmember aboard the sub of chief petty officer rank or higher...I don't know off-hand if subs carry a separate senior enlisted advisor, due to crew size constraints).

If, for some reason, your ship is so small that the highest-ranking enlist is of petty officer rank, then I would suggest using the title "Leading Petty Officer" (which is generally used for the highest-ranking petty officer in a division when there is no chief between him and the division officer).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Thanks alot Sea Tyger, your experience is indespensible for us land loving soldiers when it comes to seaborn operations. The reason why I am asking this is due to me trying to work out the billeting about the CVLX project . . . and what level crew quarters that he/she/it will be assigned to (I have decided Expanded).