Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moore Charts Galactica's Future

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    I happen to really like Joan Rivers, but dear god, her face has been re-imaged into a living sculpture and it won't be long before she starts to look like Jeremy Beadle
    <------ Or, just like this smiley.

Just to hijack this for a second (since we're talking re-imaginings), has anyone seen the BBC modernization of the Canterbury Tales, and is it any good? (I've seen adverts on BBC America, and have been intrigued by the update idea.)
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Just to hijack this for a second (since we're talking re-imaginings), has anyone seen the BBC modernization of the Canterbury Tales, and is it any good? (I've seen adverts on BBC America, and have been intrigued by the update idea.)
    I caught about half of them - they're not bad as modern drama goes. They are
    not exactly updates, re-imaginings or modernisations though. More like new plays inspired by the originals.

The first one will give you a sneak preview of Billie Piper's actual acting ability though! (Rose in the new Dr Who)

P.S. Just seen the first part of the finale (no spoilers - promise) - and they've turned up the mythology a notch. Now it's looking less like the US Navy
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Quote Originally Posted by Poolshark
    Just for the record, I wanna sayn that I could not get on with BSG at all. I watched the mini series, and that was okay. I figured it a little slow, and HATED the part where the Cylon agent is revealed. That spoiled things for me. I know we had to show Boomer in two places at once, to run the planetside story, but revealing a major character to be a baddie or at least a possible baddie seems like a bad thing to me. That kind of ace-in-the-hole coulda been used to much better effect. I'm not sure that the story planetside is that interesting, aside from showing that Cylons have feelings too.....if she is a Cylon. After a while, I couldn't care. As for the whole story, well, it was ok, but just from my POV it didn't hit the button. Dont ask me why. It looked good, had great actors (I love James Olmos' work), and seemed to have all the right ingredients. But, for some reason, it just could not keep me interested, and unfortunately, I did not really care about the remnants of humankind surviving. I tried valiantly to watch it, but in the end, it just didn't do the trick.

Ho hum, just goes to show that I am not going to like ALL SciFi.

Cheers

Tas

(Just my opinion and random mutterings on BSG)
    What they are doing with Boomer I find very interesting. The one on the Galactica is realizing she is a Cylon and that scares her. Having the Chief cover for her and trying to fight her own programming is interesting. Will the Chief choose love/lust or loyalty to the BSG? Will Boomer turn and become an ally for the BSG? Can a Cylon be more Human than Machine? Can her free will overwrite her own programing? Or is it love a very human emotion that allows her to overwrite her own programming? If so, is she the only Cylon who has? That is what I have been asking myself for awhile.

What is going on with her old partner and her other Cylon half is just strange. Where is it going to lead us? Why are we seeing what is happening on this planet? Is he going to escape with a 2nd Boomer? Are the two Boomers going to meet? What is the Cylon agenda with partnering up with him? Is he a case study? This whole show has been a giant mystery.

God, it reminds me of how much I miss B5. The intrigue the episodes building off each other. What is going to happen next? I have not felt that way since DS9 and B5 left the air.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Actually I thought the way in which they've handled the boomer story line is superb. Instead of just blowing it all at once they have let it build and build. Sure you know there has to be an inevitable outcome for both of them, but they keep twisting the tension, twisting the knot and making some good stories. I won't spoil what happened for those of you who haven't seen the season finale part 1 but I loved the fact that even after it happened.. both of them are still there, creating emotional tension.

It's the ultimate problem with any show which is set on a 'ship in a bottle' you don't have an unlimited ammount of officers off the rack you can just pool from your command centre.. the people in charge of Galactica are it.. and they are the line that has to be drawn, so you can't just introduce unnamed ensign on the left then have her die in a heroic/ horrific/ tragic/ twisted way each week.. as they don't cary any spares.. so they have to carry all of their baggage with them right down to the end of the series.

It would appear they are overlaying this template now, which then sadly does kind of make the series less edgy (as it makes it more predictable) that they are following their own templates, as laid down by their beliefs, which leads me to, perhaps, realise what the Cylons are doing... the computer which is running them has read the proffecies, call it mad call it divine fanatiscism, but the reason it is doing what it is doing is.. because it is playing it's part in the divine cycle.. of course that kind of makes it completelly insane as it's basically decided to slaughter several billion people for it's beliefs

it has a very Greekmyth feeling about it, but this sets now the pace.. each character has a role to play, which doesn't guarantee their survival (because we don't happen to know those prophecies! ) but it assures it somewhat! Which explains characters like Colonel Tigh's wife, which are out of place of the Mormon biopic, but not the greek myth.. Ariadne anyone
    Ta Muchly

Well I don't know who's seen it yet, but I just saw the finale.. My opinion still stands about the show but WOW what an ending to leave it on, I'm definatelly hooked!
    Ta Muchly

Just saw it too stunning ending indeed, damn we have to wait for months for season 2 now :/

we have to wait for september or english series (13 episodes) works differently ? any chances we can get it sooner ?
    Romuald "Pantoufle" Theate

Curious about why the UK seems to be getting these episodes first. I mean, at first I thought they were filmed there, but I just learned that they're filming in Vancouver....

Oh well, at least it sounds like there's a lot to look forward to. This is the first time in which I'm actually trying to avoid spoilers....normally, I check online for spoilers/scripts when I'm trying to decide whether or not to watch something...but with BG, I actually have no idea where it's headed, and I LIKE that fact.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's because our satelite network Sky heavilly invested in the programme. it's quite cool that we're ahead of you for a change !
    Ta Muchly

Greenwich Mean Time wasn't enough?

hehe We want it all ! I seem to recall we got a good few B5's and even some episodes of Stargate first too. I think it's because Sky is owned by Rupert Murdock, and it's a big, nay massive corporation, with a good deal of spending power, hence we often get shows on his premier chanel - which I add is pay view (not that the liscence fee is free or anything! ). The same often happens with Channel 4 (one of our 5 terrestrial channels) and films, because in the past it has invested heavily in some featurefilms, and gets exclusive rights to thow them first, sadly I think they have cut back on spending in that area.

... and i'm still siding with Joseph Swann, Damned Eddison!
    Ta Muchly

hehe We want it all ! I seem to recall we got a good few B5's and even some episodes of Stargate first too.
    Not to mention FarScape - although that didn't work with Peacekeeper Wars

I think BSG was 50/50 between Sky and Scifi US - interesting to note that Scifi UK wasn't involved at all!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."

hehe We want it all ! I seem to recall we got a good few B5's and even some episodes of Stargate first too. I think it's because Sky is owned by Rupert Murdock, and it's a big, nay massive corporation, with a good deal of spending power, hence we often get shows on his premier chanel - which I add is pay view (not that the liscence fee is free or anything! ). The same often happens with Channel 4 (one of our 5 terrestrial channels) and films, because in the past it has invested heavily in some featurefilms, and gets exclusive rights to thow them first, sadly I think they have cut back on spending in that area.

... and i'm still siding with Joseph Swann, Damned Eddison!
    I guess it's a fair trade. You have to pay for a TV license, we get BG a few months late. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187
    I guess it's a fair trade. You have to pay for a TV license, we get BG a few months late. Works for me.
    -ish

We pay about £105 per year for the licence (which is ok as it pays for the likes of Dr Who!), then another £240 if we want access to Sky 1, which has BSG...

Or we wait a few days for our friend with the VCR to pass the tape on
    Jon

Thumbs up

Speaking of "reinventing," who here is getting jazzed for the new Dr. Who?

Yummie!

On, BSG, I really like it. Like Aslan I tried not to but couldn't resist... I love the interplay between Baltar and the cylon, and I'm not talking sexual. The only big annoyance with me is Boomer. I hate that character. Every minute she's on the screen the show dips in quality. Her acting is poor (IMO), she's uninteresting, and blowing the bit about her being a cylon -- in the PILOT! -- is mind-blowing. The sooner they find out she's a cylon and blow her away, the better.

Between BSG, SG-1, and Dr. Who (fingers crossed) I'm a very happy sci-fi viewer at the moment!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Dr. Who: I'm geeked, and can't wait 'til we can get it stateside.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz