Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Decipher News?

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Is it safe to say all those material are already edited and their layout are done, ready for the printers?
    I haven't been made privy to the specifics on any product except for the first two LOTR books in the pipeline. The main issue with the Trek line is the changes in the approvals process.

If not, who will be editors, layout designers, and artists/illustrators?
    As [insert favorite Vulcan here] would say, "Insufficient data at this time."
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Well my optimism is still hanging, but only by a thread. I guess I can believe the problem's with Paramount. I guess there's a small possibility that could mean good things when something does happen. Is there really any chance the success of forthcoming products will be any different from for past products? Maybe because the community has been waiting so long?

Insert favorite Vulcan? Like, Sybok or Tellus?

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    Insert favorite Vulcan? Like, Sybok or Tellus?
    Sure. But for them, make sure you add a smile...

Howdy. I found this thread first as opposed to the other one.

It looks like Doug has better information than I, namely in that Scott returns Doug's phone calls. I've had precious little luck getting ahold of anyone at Decipher. However, inquiries that I've made point towards that the Trek products will be printed, much like the LotR products.

But this isn't news, is it?

What I've been trying to find out is if the lines will continue beyond the 3-4 finished products they have in the queue. Thus far I don't have an official answer. So far my track record on anticipating what Decipher is going to do has been pretty solid, including the closure of the studio, holding onto the product, shopping the line, and throwing up every odd Trek adventure they had lying around. So, if you'll permit me to continue some additional speculation...

I've seen/heard no indicators that either RPG line are "returning" beyond printing the already-finished products that have been sitting around, collecting dust, for the better part of a year-and-a-half. The "RPG Studio" no longer exists in any form; the only employee kept from the LA studio was a graphic artist whose skills have been kept plenty busy. I've heard nothing about anyone coming on board to do writing or development work on either property. That makes it unlikely that any "new" product will see print.

Decipher's recent layoffs and affirmation of returning to their core business also tells me that a return to the RPG foray, which they obviously didn't consider important for over a year, unlikely. They're trying to become more profitable and a leaner business by concentrating on what they do well (card games).

The licensing of the WARS property to Mongoose is another indicator. This is a more complex topic for another discussion, but ultimately there's little point in oursourcing an RPG to another company if you have (or plan to have) your own internal RPG division.

If I find out anything that I can share I'll pop by and let you know.

Oh, and Doug, have Scott contact me. It's tough discussing a business proposal with myself.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mappin
    What I've been trying to find out is if the lines will continue beyond the 3-4 finished products they have in the queue. Thus far I don't have an official answer.
    The latest I got from Scott regarding possible new product was:

If the demand for the first few releases are good we will look at adding to the line up.
    Certainly not a confirmation or anything, but it sounds like the door may not be entirely shut.

Of course, this is Decipher, and they're tricksy, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mappin
    That makes it unlikely that any "new" product will see print.
    As Ineti points out, Scott has indicated that if sales warrant it, the line may continue. Unfortunately, we don't know what their sales target is, so you might be right... Although it is nice to see con support for the RPGs this summer...

Oh, and Doug, have Scott contact me. It's tough discussing a business proposal with myself.
    Will do.

People have said we have a pretty much complete set already, but I think the Worlds book is really the final book required to make the circle complete. Certainly more important than Creatures. Klingons and Mirror would in a way make it more complete, but in a way Klingons would just make you want more race books. Sure, there'd be loads more stuff I'd want, like a book devoted to minor alternate universes, and expanded worldbuilding. But what we've got has a hole that will be filled by Worlds.

.... But what we've got has a hole that will be filled by Worlds.
    To explore strange new worlds.. and new civilizations.....
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

But what we've got has a hole that will be filled by Worlds.
    Guess you missed the news. There is no "Worlds" anymore.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Guess you missed the news. There is no "Worlds" anymore.
    That branch of Decipher is the least trustworthy of an untrustworthy group. Since there's been no news of an actual break in the negotiations with Paramount Approvals, and thus no news of activity regarding the Trek line in any form that actually has merit, I think pronouncing Worlds dead is a little premature.

Don't get me wrong: I tend to agree with the concensus that Decipher screwed us over again, but a mass-mailed email from the Decipher Store doesn't consitute real news to me. When I get it from a source I trust, then I'll believe it. Until then, it's just so much smoke from those yahoos.

EDIT -Lt Cmdr Matt, Language.
    Last edited by Lt Cmdr Matt; 02-24-2005 at 09:06 AM.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Serves me right for reading the forum beginning at the end. I did read the news shortly after posting that, and I'm inclined to believe the end is here. I guess it's time to post Coda conversions of Bwuutut, Perseus, the Aba and the Zwickau. I think I recently worked on Bwuutut, hopefully I can find what I've got, but I don't know where my Mensaean stuff is, and I'm not sure whether or not I want to do over the stuff I can't find.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Don't get me wrong: I tend to agree with the concensus that Decipher fucked us over again...
    For some reason this line made me laugh out loud.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Probably the extremely odd happenstance of me saying not to count things as dead just yet, considering my pretty vocal and public opinion of Decipher.

Or not; I don't know what you find funny.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    That branch of Decipher is the least trustworthy of an untrustworthy group. Since there's been no news of an actual break in the negotiations with Paramount Approvals, and thus no news of activity regarding the Trek line in any form that actually has merit, I think pronouncing Worlds dead is a little premature.

Don't get me wrong: I tend to agree with the concensus that Decipher fucked us over again, but a mass-mailed email from the Decipher Store doesn't consitute real news to me. When I get it from a source I trust, then I'll believe it. Until then, it's just so much smoke from those yahoos.

Well, I suppose there's a slight chance of all outstanding orders being cancelled and the book being re-solicited through distributors and other outlets under the same or different title.

Of course, there's also a slight chance that monkeys might fly out of my butt . . . .
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Please keep swearing to a minimum, people tend to feel uncomfortable about it. Thanks
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11