Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Decipher News?

Question Any Decipher News?

Quote Originally Posted by EZRI'S TOY

(snip)

Several of us dAgents questioned about Star Trek and I just received an
    e-mail saying that we would have an announcement next week!

Here's to hoping that it will be that they are continuing it (which I
    think they will. They have several books written and paid for, so
    why not).

(snip)

Darren

=====
    Darren Martin
    Decipher dAgent #137
    Conway Springs-Wichita, KS
    OK, so it is now near the end of "next week". Has anyone heard anything?

Beuller... Beuller...

(Just figured I'd start up a new thread, since the other one has gotten a little crowded)

Hugh
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

IIRC, the LOTR news came out on a Friday, so maybe we'll get Trek news tomorrow. I haven't heard anything else, otherwise.

Question

Heh. Why the new discussion thread?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Honestly, Reg, I thought the other thread was getting a little crowded. If news gets announced, I didn't want it getting lost.

That's all.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Like... Decipher is undergoing an organizational change?

Of course, "organizational change" or "re-organization" all have one thing in common: layoffs.

Don't panic. Nothing's going to happen to the RPG Studio. I mean, what are they going to do? Fire the last two remaining employees there?

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Don't panic. Nothing's going to happen to the RPG Studio. I mean, what are they going to do? Fire the last two remaining employees there?
    You say that like they wouldn't do something like that, Reg. I think history shows us otherwise. The words I have for Decipher right now aren't fit for a family forum.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Are you being facetious here, REG? Can't tell with you. As far as I know, there is no RPG studio. It got wiped out last January.

Talking

Hehehe. Hey, if Decipher think they can run their RPG studio with just two guys and contracting freelanced writers, let them. Hehehe.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Official Statement Posted.

Source: http://www.gamingreport.com/article....&mode=&order=0

Here is the official Decipher announcement:

An Announcement from Decipher
    In 2005 Decipher will expand its selection of fan-focused products and services while striving to reach new levels of innovation. To achieve this goal, some internal reorganization was necessary. While change is never easy, it is often necessary for an organization to reallocate its resources in order to grow in new and exciting areas. In this process, some talented employees have transitioned out of the company. Their contributions to the player community have been vast and greatly appreciated. But the company’s commitment to produce the highest quality TCGs remains unchanged.

So what does this mean for fans of Decipher games? The 2005 product schedules previously announced for The Lord of the Rings TCG, WARS TCG, and Star Trek CCG remain in place. The next Lord of the Rings TCG expansion, (Black Rider) is being manufactured and will hit stores March 18th. Star Trek CCG's next release (the first full expansion since last year’s sold-out Necessary Evil) has been submitted for approval and is on track for April release. The next WARS TCG expansion (Edge of a Sword) will undergo its final playtest this weekend and hit stores in May. Once Kids’ WB! finalizes plans for MegaMan NT Warrior, we will set our release schedule for 2005.

The following changes within the Game Studio roster at Decipher will be of interest to the player community: Dan Bojanowski will continue as Brand Manager for The Lord of the Rings TCG and take over responsibility for MegaMan TCG. Erika Stensvaag will continue as Brand Manager for the Star Trek CCG and How to Host line. Chuck Kallenbach's skills will once again be fully exploited as a card designer and rules guru for WARS TCG. Mark Tuttle will transition to Brand Manager for WARS TCG and .hack//ENEMY TCG; Mark will also continue as the host of the WARS Radio show. Kyle Heuer is moving to a position in sales and Dawn Roscoe is now handling the dAgent volunteer program. Will Raiman will handle the daily duties of OP, DGMA and its staff of dedicated judges and writers.

In the coming months, you will see Decipher's Fan Headquarters (www.fanhq.com) expand significantly as it gears up for the summer season. Want to start your own blog or fan web page? Soon, those feature sets will be available! In addition, our award-winning Publishing Studio will launch a revolutionary new magazine this spring. Look for an announcement soon about this latest innovation from Decipher.

The changes going on behind-the-scenes at Decipher are designed to move the company in some exciting new directions. We look forward to traveling the road ahead together with all of you.

Thanks for your continued support!

Scott Gaeta
    Senior Vice President, Game Studio
    Decipher, Inc.
    And you guys were worried about the two workers in the RPG studio (janitors don't count).

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Finally a little news...

Just got off the phone with Scott Gaeta and finally got some news:

• The first two LOTR products released will be Paths of the Wise and Helm's Deep.
    • Decipher is working to set up game demos at Gen Con and Origins this year for at leaast LOTR.
    • Trek is on hold at the moment due to a reorganization on the Paramount side of things. However, Scott indicated it's more a matter of "when" than "if".
    • Scott indicated he was rather excited to finally be getting the ball rolling once more for the RPGs after a year or so of effort.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

So, no re-organizational change in the RPG Studio? That's good.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

So, no re-organizational change in the RPG Studio? That's good.
    Actually, REG, there isn't an RPG Studio to reorganize at this point (as Ineti pointed out above). Scott is Senior Vice President of the Game Studio (which covers TCGs, too).

How the RPG Studio is re-enstated would most likely depend on the success of the forthcoming products....

Question

So, basically they will edit and publish the stuff left behind by the writers who departed last year?

Meh. Better than nothing.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

So, basically they will edit and publish the stuff left behind by the writers who departed last year?

Meh. Better than nothing.
    For now, yes. Afterwords, if the demand is there, they will create new products. At least, that's the plan...

Question

Is it safe to say all those material are already edited and their layout are done, ready for the printers?

If not, who will be editors, layout designers, and artists/illustrators?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan