Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ciws

Ciws

Are there any current Spacedock or Standard ICON rules for a Close in Weapons System out there? Could you use phasers for this purpose? Would something like what BG has work? Has anyone created anything like this for their games?

Just so I'm clear here...what do Close-in weapons systems do?

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../wep-phal.html

Basically it fires a large amount of ordinance towards an incoming threat in order to shoot it down. It's truely the last line of defense before something hits the ship. In Harpoon the CIWS is given a 80% chance of working. Thus (if this idea was implemented in Star Trek terms) that incoming barrage of torpedoes get to have something fired at it for a change, and thus hopefully not making it to their intended target.

Look farther back in the Spacedock forum, there's one designed someplace. It's called "Phalanx micro torpedo system" used on the write-up of the Achillies-class.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../wep-phal.html

Basically it fires a large amount of ordinance towards an incoming threat in order to shoot it down. It's truely the last line of defense before something hits the ship. In Harpoon the CIWS is given a 80% chance of working. Thus (if this idea was implemented in Star Trek terms) that incoming barrage of torpedoes get to have something fired at it for a change, and thus hopefully not making it to their intended target.
    Hmm...that's actually a good idea. Especially for use against those bad-assed Romulan plasma torpedoes....

[Hurries off to figure out how to work this into the CODA system....]

Talking

Well...in SFB, this is called a ADD (Anti-Drone Defense) system. consists of a rapid fire pulse phaser to take down incoming drones. It does work on plasma torps too
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

[B][B]Hmm...that's actually a good idea. Especially for use against those bad-assed Romulan plasma torpedoes....

Unfortunately, I reckon that the Rommie Plasma torp is sooo bad ass that it would vape anything less than a starship and just keep on coming.....

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    Well...in SFB, this is called a ADD (Anti-Drone Defense) system. consists of a rapid fire pulse phaser to take down incoming drones. It does work on plasma torps too
    I thought ADD's were drone based, aren't they fired from Drone Racks?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

You might be thinking of Scatter Packs drone attacks. ADD were dedicated anti drone defense phases...range was squat but it ripped drones to shreds
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by Poolshark
    [B][B]Hmm...that's actually a good idea. Especially for use against those bad-assed Romulan plasma torpedoes....

Unfortunately, I reckon that the Rommie Plasma torp is sooo bad ass that it would vape anything less than a starship and just keep on coming.....

Cheers

Tas
    Not if you use tachyon beams, backed up by three levels of sophisticated meaningless technobabble....

Not if you use tachyon beams, backed up by three levels of sophisticated meaningless technobabble....

Ah, the power of technobabble!!

I'm not sure if they had tachyon beams and so on in TOS Trek....!

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"

I was thinking about this again, at night, at work (again) . . . and I thought of a Firing Mode purchaseable capability for Spacedock. Here is the firing rules: (they maybe a little rough so please bear with me)

CIWS Firing rules:
    To attempt to hit a missile weapon target add +3 difficulty to the standard range difficulty. If roll equals difficulty, target is severly damaged and moves one hex (30,000m) in a random direction. Role 1d6 to determine direction (1-forward, 2=forward right of original direction of travel, 3=backward right of original direction of travel, etc.). Target then detonates in that hex.
    If roll is +1 greater then difficulty, target detonates in hex where hit doing 1/2 damage then normal. If role is +2 (or more) greater then difficulty target is destroyed and does not detonate.

And here is the spacedock purchase capability:
    CIWS Firing Mode
    SU Cost: 2
    Energy Cost: 1 Power/use/round
    Purchasing the CIWS firing mode capability installs a small independed latteral sensor that is only capable of tracking an assigned target. This allows for the ability to track smaller incoming ordinances. This may only be purchased for beam weapons, microtorpedo launchers, and rocket launchers.

Basically it fires a large amount of ordinance towards an incoming threat in order to shoot it down.
    The target is not so much “shot down” as it is simply shredded. If anything does make it through the barrage, it is usually of very little significance. If you ever get the chance to see a Phalanx system in action it is truly an incredible sight.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by redwood973
    If you ever get the chance to see a Phalanx system in action it is truly an incredible sight.
    I'll second that. We had a pair of Cheese Whiz on the Milwaukee; very cool.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973
    The target is not so much “shot down” as it is simply shredded. If anything does make it through the barrage, it is usually of very little significance. If you ever get the chance to see a Phalanx system in action it is truly an incredible sight.

Heh....I'm not sure I'd ever want to be in a situation where I DO see those things fire in anger....

(I remember all too well what happened in the "Shoot-out at 31 West!" chapter from Red Storm Rising.....)