Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking News Update

Books in Store. Then I will believe.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Work in retail, there will always be someone that assumes you are hiding what they want in the backroom.
    *laugh* Unfortunately there can be some truth to that.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Well, not sure whether to believe it, but it is certainly good news if it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Work in retail, there will always be someone that assumes you are hiding what they want in the backroom.
    That's 'cause you are!

Hopefully, we get the books. We'll see...(or not.)

well decipher's big announcement today left out any mention of rpgs at all. their publishing division is proud to release a new magazine come spring time though if that's any consolation

hehe not really
    Romuald "Pantoufle" Theate

Unhappy

It would be nice to know exactly what is in the works though. Announcements of intent are all well and good, but all the uncertainty and lack of concrete info. on what's being released, when, how much it's going to be promoted and what support will Decipher provide puts off new players from adapting the system.

I bought the Player and Narrator Guides at a Gaming Con stall, and was thinking of learning the system so I could run a Coda Trek campaign in my University's Games Society. It's frustrating for people like me who are just starting in RPGs to hear about the uncertainties surrounding the system. And I like the look of the system. I want to use it.

But Decipher provide little or no resources for GM's on their website except for a couple of scenarios; one thing which is definitely needed is a beginner's guide. I know there's a very basic tutorial in one of the four scenarios that are available, but it's too simplified IMHO and not really up to the task of teaching people how to play Coda Trek properly. What I would like to see is a selection of bare--bones how to files that explain how to generate characters, starship combat, and so on without any fluff, step by step.

If Decipher want to make money from RPG's like this, they need to give their customers better support. The question is this, are they prepared to commit to continuing the RPG, and are they going to give the community the support it deserves. Because if they aren't prepared to do this, then they should offload their RPG division to a company with the resources and the panache to make a success of it. It's not fair on those who parted with the cash to buy the system in the first place for them to sit on the fence, giving the community no help and being indecisive about whether to continue it or not.

I know I've gone a little off topic here, but I hope it could be considered relevant to the discussion on Decipher and their future as RPG publishers. I don't claim to be fully up-to-speed on what the issues are between Decipher and the RPG community, but based on what I've read in the short time I've been on this board, I felt I should throw in my $0.02.
    Last edited by trekkypj; 01-27-2005 at 08:07 AM.
    In the words of Bender... ""BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!"

I don't know too many RPG companies that commit resources to those kinds of support materials. You'd like to think that the books themselves would be self-explanatory, and that the processes for character generation and combat and such would be clear, but that's often not the case.

More often than not, it's the game's fans and supporters that create the support system for the games they play, even if the company does nothing else with the game. A thousand fans can give a game far more support (for free) than any company can provide from their paid staff. Simple matter of numbers.

If you have questions about the game, or process or whatever, the best place to go is the fans and players of the game. Especially since Decipher hasn't been vocal about the future of the game. Even if they formally end the game, there will still be people playing it and supporting it.

Not the best answer, but a realistic one, I think.

Right now that's kind of like asking Microsoft to support Windows 95, when they no longer make it and haven't for some time - yes they should be obliged to, but there's a limit how much a company will pay to support a long dead product

Theoretically *any moment now* they are relaunching the system, but I suspect that their 'support' will be none existant as their future plans seem only to consist of releasing the almost finished books they already made.

However fans of many gaming systems still play games which are no longer supported, as Ineti said, and stuff will be available on websites like this for ages, if the game is good.. and for Coda and ICON this is the best site to come to! Very few companies produce vast ammounts of bonus free material for their game, which you can download, other than character sheets. Some good companies do provide the better fan produced materials right on their site! Some just in the forums and some just rely on alternate sites to do their leg work for them altogether. This is really just a reflection of how large the company is and how easilly it can soak up the costs of extra staff to administer such things. Small houses struggle.
    Ta Muchly

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Right now that's kind of like asking Microsoft to support Windows 95, when they no longer make it and haven't for some time - yes they should be obliged to, but there's a limit how much a company will pay to support a long dead product
    I do see what you mean...

It is really frustrating though. I don't suppose there's anyone here who's put together a CODA TREK FOR DUMMIES guide?

And what exactly was in the works, other than the books already published? I've heard that there was supposed to be a Klingons book; any info here? Was thinking a Klingon - based RPG campaign in the DS9 era would work very well *grin*
    In the words of Bender... ""BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!"

Quote Originally Posted by trekkypj
    Was thinking a Klingon - based RPG campaign in the DS9 era would work very well *grin*

bloodthirsty kllingons ... dominion war ... i don't think you'll hear many complaints ...

Quote Originally Posted by trekkypj
    I do see what you mean...

It is really frustrating though. I don't suppose there's anyone here who's put together a CODA TREK FOR DUMMIES guide?
    Not that I know of. Like I said, though, I think the best thing to do is ask us lots of questions. The folks here are generally friendly and willing to help out a fellow gamer.