Thread: Transphasic and Hellfire Torpedoes

Question Transphasic and Hellfire Torpedoes

Has any one tried using Transphasic or Hellfire Torpedoes yet?
    If so would you be able to give me the rules youve come up with... I'd do it myself but I'm a little acupied at the moment.
    as near as I can tell the Hellfire Torpedoes skip the shields and hit the hull directly and the Transphasic Torpedoes skip both the shields and outer hull... I can pretty much figure out the Hellfire thats easy enough but what would I do with Transphasic?

None of my players have ever even thought of using these type of weapons yet but I thought I'd better be prepared espesually since they are about to watch that Voyager episode: End game.
    any ways any help would be great

Haven't used them simply because they are a BIG leap in the tech base for Starfleet and are one of those things that really can't be defended against. game breakers really
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Remind me, what are hellfire torpedoes? Doesn't sound familiar to me?

I think that generally Transphasic torpedoes are more than just skipping through the shields and the hull, I think they must explode throughout the ship out of phase slightly too.. How else do you destroy a Borg Cube with only a couple of hits !

As a rule of thumb i would say a Transphasic torpedo can ignore threshold but not protection. If they hit they cause a cascade failure in the ships power systems and you would roll off against the warp core breech table (effectivelly meaning with luck you could survive) - They would also of course have the blind luck trait, because of course anyone could adapt to them!
    Ta Muchly

From my undestanding, the transphasic torpedo does direct damage, in Spacedock, to the internal systems . . . for basically it is a normal torpedo that has a mini transphasic cloaking device that unphases back into normal matter within the target vessel doing direct damage to it. Of course, knowing the vital parts of the ship in question would do increasingly more damage do to their direct damage. Imagine if you're working on increasing power in main engineering in a fire fight and all of a sudden you see a split send flash of a torpedo next to you . . . then boom! You're dead it explodes next to the warp core . . . well you can imagine the rest.

The singular problem there, though it's extremelly deadly to anyone else, is the Borg don't use unified energy production.. there is no warp core to hit! So it doesn't explain away the damage Voyager did to the cubes.. in a game terms you couldn't do it enough structural damage...

Now imagine hitting a Romulan ship hehehehe
    Ta Muchly

Well . . . I think this is more inline with the closed fist open hand mini-firecracker thing talked about in Armageddon. If you have so much power being released from a single point within an object, that power would eminate outword . . . if you destroy enough of the internal hull thus destroying the interior systems, and hull structure, given speed and a destroyed SIF & IDF . . . it'll be enough to do the damage seen . . . I think.

Honestly, it depends on what source you're using.

Transphasic torpedoes could just be torpedoes which have a version of the Pegasus Phase Cloak and so can pass through matter and shields.

[gaming stats for this would be something that ignores target shields and hull resistance, to directly impact on the ship's main elements]

Some conjecture that they then release their energy in a tight pulse, capable of doing massive damage to the internal workings of the target vessel. Perhaps in some way that's specific to the Borg, and inefficient vs anything else. (since E-E didn't use them in Nemesis).

[gaming stats for this would be pretty much Photon Torpedo, with some sort of massive boost vs Borg--so it can two or three punch a cube.]

They could also be some sort of Quantum Torpedo on Steroids, which used multidimensional zero point energy converters, rather than the standard monodimensional zero point converters.

[gaming stats for this would be something that can two or three punch a Borg Cube--that's a boatload of damage]

Sources seem to list the Hellfire Torpedo as something that can pass through shields to directly impact, although some sources seem to imply that the warhead is some special antimatter/protomatter thing.

[see first comments under transphasic torpedoes--maybe buff up the damage, or use the Quantum Torpedo as the basis set]

It really depends on how you see the tech working, and how you define it.

Alex

Thanks

Great, thanks for all of your help.
    I'll keep all of this in mind when...If my players ever decided to do anything diferent with ship combat