Thread: Re-enacting ST episodes

Re-enacting ST episodes

I wonder, how many of you have taken an episode from Trek and felt the need to play it out with some of your friends. The outcomes will most likely be different from the on-screen outcomes, but I would like to know what adventures you've taken almost straight out of Trek and re-enacted. I've seen one or maybe two threads where a poster did that. One was a TNG episode placed in TOS/Movie era. I'd like to hear more about this and how it went. Seems like it can be loads of fun if: a) the players don't have their hands tied to do exactly what was done on the show and b) not over-done (probably good as a one-shot or even one per series/season, but no more).

We redid Nemesis.

In it, we got rid of the whole superweapon thing (but kept a fire-while-cloaked ship). We had Shinzon as the son of a Romulan officer and an Enterprise -C captive, who worked with Sela to overthrow the Romulan government.

The entire plot took nearly a season: the Romulans didn't just say "oh, well..." There were factions fighting for control and the UFP got involved -- first clandestinely, then openly. It wound up with a major battle for Romulus between Shinzon's forces, the main oposition leader (who had been the officer/senator that sent him to Remus), and Starfleet ships led by Enterprise.

I did a Halloween episode that was not too loosely based on the TOS episode "Operation: Annihilate!"

The spooky thing is that when I went to startrek.com to verify the episode title, it was the Featured Episode in the TOS section...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

The best trek experience we had was not re-enacting an episode, but helping one to happen. We were responsible for the Klingon Task Force under General Martok saving the day. We stopped the snake-aliens from TNG (the ones that went back in time to Samuel Clements era) stopping the task force. It had a little time travel, our captain temporarily declared insane, and my Andorian Tactical Officer NOT marrying his Bajoran lady friend because she objected to a traditional four partner weddding....that is, until she understood that the other couple were to be plaronic friends!

Cheers

Tas

"Wherever you go....there you are!"

Entire episodes, no. I have, however, brought in elements of TOS and TNG episodes. My characters have already encountered a Preserver ("The Paradise Syndrome") artifact. And their captain, although they don't know this yet, was imprisoned and tortured by Gul Madred ("Chain of Command") during the Dominion War. Inasmuch as, in my variant, Gul Madred and all his records disappeared sometime around the time the Dominion bombed Cardassia Prime, there may well be an encounter at some point in the future.

And in the second season, they will probably encounter the Guardian of Forever, but on a different world and in a different form...

Thumbs up

Replaying Nemesis sounds like fun. Especially by tying it to other events and episodes that they failed to do in the movie, and by exploring the political environment behind and preceding the events of Nemesis. That movie was just too self-contained. It had such potential....

To Balok, I was not asking about taking elements and references from episodes, but actually replaying the whole story of the episode. I'm sure we all use elements of Trek episodes, from the Preservers to the T'Kon to the Romulans and Klingons and Borg, oh my. Maybe the Ansatian rebels made another appearance in someone's game. I personally plan to make heavy re-use of TOS artifacts and beings. But that's not what I was talking about. Like in D&D, someone playing the Dragonlance adventures. Has anyone played a classic Trek scenario that was at least 75% lifted (possibly changing some of the problems of the original or fixing the solutions so that players don't exactly imitate the scripts).