View Poll Results: Is Battlestar Galactica the end of Enterprise?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battlestar Galactica is the deathblow of Enterprise?

5 16.13%
  • Enterprise the deathblow of Battlestar Galactica?

0 0%
  • Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica will both continue!

22 70.97%
  • <joke> Sponge Bob Squirepants is the deathblow to Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica!

4 12.90%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is BSG the Deathblow to Enterprise?

I took a wait and see attitude when Enterrprise originally came out. I knew that TNG took a couple of seasons to find its sweet spot. And I was desperate for some Trek after the abomination that was Voyager (I say that, but my opinion on that has mellowed after several years, so I am only just apathetic towards it now).

That said, I feel like this current season of Enterprise has been its best yet, and its starting to feel more like Trek to me.

I wanted to give BSG the same wait and see chance that I had for the various Treks. I'm embittered by some of the fundamental "re-imagining" liberties that they've taken. I really want it to do well. When the original BSG premiered in the 70's, it was all the more memorable for me because it was the first time that my parents ever let us watch TV during dinner. They moved their portable from their room into the dining room, just so I could watch it. Up until that point, the only time we'd ever been able to watch TV at dinner was during Thnksgiving dinner, so everyone could watch the ball game.

I don't really know how to describe my feelings watching the new BSG. I think part of me has this "watching the train wreck" thing going on. I don't want to like it. I just can't seem to separate those good old days from the here and now, yet, I find myself tuning in (or Tivo-ing in, as the case may be), and I'm finding things that I "can" like. So, I'm looking for the clover in the poison ivy. And there is hope for both Enterprise, BSG and me.

Maybe now that I'm pushing my way toward 40, I just want all the Sci-Fi I can get. I miss sitting with my Dad, watching sci-fi shows he could never wrap his brain around, who was only there watching them because it was time we spent together. He died a couple of days after Christmas, 2003. I miss him, and only have those memories now. Sitting here now, watching these shows (and Stargate too), with my own kids sitting with me, is all that really matters to me now. That might just be the true saving grace for all of these shows. Memories for my kids, sitting with Dad.

Good or bad sci-fi, I'll take good family memories any day.

YMMV,
    Larry
    Last edited by DaddyDragon; 01-29-2005 at 11:05 PM.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy, and can be adequately seasoned with a wide variety of condiments."

Don't worry, DaddyDragon. The new BSG have found its audience, even from some of those who have watched the original BSG so long ago, like me.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

That was a very sweet tale DaddyDragon, and yes out memories are littered with watching the shows in our past, they are as much a part of our past as the real lives we lived because we watched them in our lives.

I guess we will have to see if we have fond memories of watching these shows in 10 years time, or if they will be just another show we can't quite remember anymore.
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Umm, no.
    I know you are, but what am I?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Hmmm...you're a SewICKLeY Pennsylvanian?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    I guess we will have to see if we have fond memories of watching these shows in 10 years time, or if they will be just another show we can't quite remember anymore.
    In 10 years? I'll be 45.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Well Enterprise was cancelled. Was BSG the final blow? Who knows? The show has had strong ratings since its start but then again so did Enterprise. Now will be the question will BSG last or will it fall apart.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...icle/9469.html
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    Well Enterprise was cancelled. Was BSG the final blow? Who knows? The show has had strong ratings since its start but then again so did Enterprise. Now will be the question will BSG last or will it fall apart.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...icle/9469.html
    I very much doubt BSG had too much to do with it. BSG has aired for less than a month, and decisions like this aren't make quickly. More than likely, UPN planned to cancel Enterprise even before this season aired.

As for BSG: the two episodes that aired to lauch it didn't do much for me, but last week's episode was a big improvement, although I suspect next week's episode will be lifted more or less directly from an episode of the original series.

To be honest, as much as people might like to blow Galactica's trumpet, the reverse could equally be true.. Will the demise of Startrek's franchise strike a blow in the Sci-Fi market? i only hope Stargate can shoulder the industry and keep it's two shows going, or we could be in for a long dry spell of reruns!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    i only hope Stargate can shoulder the industry and keep it's two shows going, or we could be in for a long dry spell of reruns!
    SG-1 have been on a much longer run than either Babylon 5 or any one of the Trek series. After 9 seasons, you can't cancel the series. You can only end its run on a high note (like Everybody Loves Raymond or The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson).

If that's gone, then fans will flock to the SG: Atlantis series, which is on its sophomore run.

The re-imagined BSG enjoyed great success across the Atlantic and Ron D. Moore hope it would impress the US audience, which they are.

OTOH, Andromeda... Well, I hate to say this but if the show's direction does not change course, I hope it goes out with Enterprise. I mean, that show should not last longer than the current Trek series, especially when they lost Robert Hewitt Wolfe back in Season 2.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    Well Enterprise was cancelled.
    Well, that was no surprise, especially with how bad it was.

I disagree, speaking as a former basher.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    Why is there no option for Battlestar Galactica sucks ass and will die after 1 season?
    Probably because you're talking our your <woohoo!>

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq
    Probably because you're talking our your <woohoo!>

That doesn't make any sense

What do you mean

I suspect it was 'out of yours' given the comment it was referencing.. I could be wrong
    Ta Muchly