View Poll Results: Is Battlestar Galactica the end of Enterprise?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battlestar Galactica is the deathblow of Enterprise?

5 16.13%
  • Enterprise the deathblow of Battlestar Galactica?

0 0%
  • Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica will both continue!

22 70.97%
  • <joke> Sponge Bob Squirepants is the deathblow to Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica!

4 12.90%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is BSG the Deathblow to Enterprise?

Battlestar Galactica is the deathblow of Enterprise? 5 16.13%
    Enterprise the deathblow of Battlestar Galactica? 0 0%
    Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica will both continue! 22 70.97%
    Sponge Bob Squirepants is the deathblow to Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica! 4 12.90%

This is the results above: No one No One Voted Enterprise would continue and Battlestar would not. Wow. Amazing. Alot of us thought both BSG and Enterprise would make it. Well that was wrong. Both shows not continuing too early to know now one is down and BSG is still on. And well those that voted BSG would continue and Enterprise would not well... they were right.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    Battlestar Galactica is the deathblow of Enterprise? 5 16.13%
    Enterprise the deathblow of Battlestar Galactica? 0 0%
    Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica will both continue! 22 70.97%
    Sponge Bob Squirepants is the deathblow to Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica! 4 12.90%

This is the results above: No one No One Voted Enterprise would continue and Battlestar would not. Wow. Amazing. Alot of us thought both BSG and Enterprise would make it. Well that was wrong. Both shows not continuing too early to know now one is down and BSG is still on. And well those that voted BSG would continue and Enterprise would not well... they were right.

They aren't totally right, Spongebob can still take it.

I'm rooting for Spongebob, that'where my vote went.

This is the results above: No one No One Voted Enterprise would continue and Battlestar would not. Wow. Amazing.
    But that wasn't one of the options. The poll was about causal relationships - i.e. Battlestar Galactica being the deathblow of Enterprise or vice-versa. There was no vote that there was no causal relationship. One could just have easily had a poll for whether "Trading Spaces" or "What not to Wear" was the death blow of Enterprise. If any shows are to be considered death blows, they would be ones that went up against Enterprise in the same time slot (i.e. Smallville, The West Wing, Joan of Arcadia, etc.)
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Just to hijack this thread for a moment, but I've been struggling to figure out just why I haven't been attracted to BSG. I certainly had looked forward to the miniseries, and while parts of it was quite disturbing (it's a father thing), it was quite good and had me wanting to watch the series.

But, of the episodes I've had the chance to watch, BSG just can't keep my interest. I mean, I'm the guy who's been a sci-fi fan since I watched Star Wars in 1977; I watched TNG when I wasn't at sea, most of DS9 and even tried to keep up with Voyager. I'm the guy who unconditionally loved Enterprise, accepting the fact that the show would have its growing pains.

So, I wondered, why the H-E-double-hockey-sticks couldn't I get into this new BSG series. Edward James Olmos was reason enough to watch. Mary McDowell is a favorite of mine. I didn't mind the reimagining.

But, I finally discovered the problem while trying to watch last night: hope.

Star Trek, in all of its incarnations, has always been about hope. Hope for the future, that mankind will go on, that we'll get past the troubles of today, that this, too, shall pass. Each show had a different approach, but the cast and crew generally had a good outlook.

I don't feel that in BSG. The writing is very good; the military feel to the show is spot on (within the limits of providing good drama). The characters are well thought out, and the acting is mostly above par (Olmos is outstanding, as usual).

But there's no hope in this incarnation BSG. In the original series, Adama actually believed in the legends of the 13th Colony. Strip away the camp, and you still had the hope of tomorrow, of finding that legendary place, exploring along the way. Now, you have a president who has only months to live with her terminal breast cancer; this Adama admits that there's no Earth, that he's only using the ruse to keep the crew's hope alive. Everyone's running around like they're on their way to a funeral. It's, well, depressing, and I don't watch TV to get depressed.

I'm going to give BSG some more time, but, if it continues this way, I'll just start throwing on TOS or Firefly in that timeslot.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

With all due respect, other than the fact that there is a BSG thread in the General forum, there is no hopeful stories in hit ABC series, Lost. Everyone is trying to get by day-by-day, and that's the reality. Sure there is that hope that they will be rescued, all they have to do is wait, assuming whatever mysterious being in the middle of the island would let them wait.

The original BSG is like the biblical tale of getting to the Promised Land. This version of BSG, they don't know if there is a Promised Land for them. And Adama, he's no Moses.

Sorry about the metaphor.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack
    But that wasn't one of the options. The poll was about causal relationships - i.e. Battlestar Galactica being the deathblow of Enterprise or vice-versa. There was no vote that there was no causal relationship. One could just have easily had a poll for whether "Trading Spaces" or "What not to Wear" was the death blow of Enterprise. If any shows are to be considered death blows, they would be ones that went up against Enterprise in the same time slot (i.e. Smallville, The West Wing, Joan of Arcadia, etc.)
    Read the poll. If you did not see it then you did not want to see it.

If you really thought Enterprise was to continue over BSG why not vote for Enterprise will be the deathblow of BSG? It was there in black and white.
    You did not nor anyone else. Nadda. El-zippo. Now you are crying over spilled milk. Just because you could not back it up do not change the facts. Thanks. The people spoke even the Enterprise fans and they did not vote for that. They voted for both shows to continue. It sucks but it is true. Just because it is not something you do not want to read does not mean it is not true. Live with it.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Actually, I thought this was going to be the last season of Enterprise. (To be honest, I was surprised it made it back for this year). I just do not believe that Battlestar Galactica had anything at all to do with it.

I did read the poll. What I stated was not there. Not becuase of any wish I may or may not have had. You gave four options.

1. Battlestar Galactica is the deathblow of Enterprise. I read that as Enterprise will end because of Battlestar Galactica. That is not the option I would choose if I believed Enterprise will end and Battlestar Galactica will continue.

2. Enterprise is the deathblow of Battlestar Galactica. Same thing in reverse. i.e. Battlestar Galactica will end because of Enterprise.

3. Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica will both continue.

4. Sponge Bob Squirepants is the deathblow to Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica.

So which of those options should I have chosen if I believed?
    1) Enterprise will end this season
    2) Battlestar Galactica will continue
    3) Those two events are unconnected

I'm not crying over anything. While I am not happy that Enterprise was cancelled, it is far from a surprise. With ratings now a fraction of what they were at the start of the show, it was really the only practical business decision. There is a book on the making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. It has a chapter entitled something along the lines of "The Most Important Chapter in this Book". It is about how Paramount made money off of TNG and how they hoped to make money with Deep Space Nine. It was a reminder that the only reason Paramount makes any show is with the intention to make money. Given how much Enterprise costs Paramount to make vs. how many people watch it, it was far from surprising that the show was cancelled.

What I do not understand is what Battlestar Galactica has to do with anything. Enterprise probably needed to, at the very least, stop the bleeding of its ratings to get renewed for another season. Long before Battlestar Galactica premiered its ratings had continued their slide. Heck, the ratings have pretty much been in a free-fall.

Now I could be wrong about there being no causal relationship. But such is my opinion. And there was no way to indicate that in the poll.
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack
    Actually, I thought this was going to be the last season of Enterprise. (To be honest, I was surprised it made it back for this year). I just do not believe that Battlestar Galactica had anything at all to do with it.

I did read the poll. What I stated was not there. Not becuase of any wish I may or may not have had. You gave four options.

1. Battlestar Galactica is the deathblow of Enterprise. I read that as Enterprise will end because of Battlestar Galactica. That is not the option I would choose if I believed Enterprise will end and Battlestar Galactica will continue.

2. Enterprise is the deathblow of Battlestar Galactica. Same thing in reverse. i.e. Battlestar Galactica will end because of Enterprise.

3. Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica will both continue.

4. Sponge Bob Squirepants is the deathblow to Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica.

So which of those options should I have chosen if I believed?
    1) Enterprise will end this season
    2) Battlestar Galactica will continue
    3) Those two events are unconnected

I'm not crying over anything. While I am not happy that Enterprise was cancelled, it is far from a surprise. With ratings now a fraction of what they were at the start of the show, it was really the only practical business decision. There is a book on the making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. It has a chapter entitled something along the lines of "The Most Important Chapter in this Book". It is about how Paramount made money off of TNG and how they hoped to make money with Deep Space Nine. It was a reminder that the only reason Paramount makes any show is with the intention to make money. Given how much Enterprise costs Paramount to make vs. how many people watch it, it was far from surprising that the show was cancelled.

What I do not understand is what Battlestar Galactica has to do with anything. Enterprise probably needed to, at the very least, stop the bleeding of its ratings to get renewed for another season. Long before Battlestar Galactica premiered its ratings had continued their slide. Heck, the ratings have pretty much been in a free-fall.

Now I could be wrong about there being no causal relationship. But such is my opinion. And there was no way to indicate that in the poll.
    Spilled Milk no matter how you spin it Don.
    Hey my opinion

How am I spinning it?
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    There are days when your wit is too cunning to be understood, T'lara, when your ignorance is matched only by Paramount's (forced) short-sightedness. All Dan (you should probably invest in glasses at some point, lest you further embarass yourself) was saying is that he believed that the poll was not accurate of his feelings, that he saw no causal relationships between Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica.

There was only one selection in your list of choices that allowed for that, which was that both shows would continue (I figured they'd squeeze one more year out of the show, just out of respect for Coto being new to the position, which is why I chose that both would continue).

Enterprise was cancelled, yes, but BSG had nothing to do with it; your so-called poll didn't bother to take the lack of a causal relationship into account. Therefore, your "poll" is irrelevant, except to prove that you are merely a troll.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Yep pretty much what I thought, in a more sussinct fashion.. Maybe if we can keep him talking he might not notice it's nearly dawn...
    Ta Muchly

Sponge Bob! Sponge Bob! Sponge Bob! Sponge Bob!
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

No it isn't, read what he said, it made perfect sense.

But we all know SPONGEBOB is the deathblow to them both.

OK here is the Question:
    Is Battlestar Galactica the end of Enterprise?
    Interesting turn.. but I'll say that Battlestar Galactica, in the most real sense, had nothing to do with Enterprise's fate. It wasn't like people were stopping watching Enterprise because Battlestar Galactica was on, after all - there were other reasons in which I won't delve here.

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    SG-1 have been on a much longer run than either Babylon 5 or any one of the Trek series. After 9 seasons, you can't cancel the series. You can only end its run on a high note (like Everybody Loves Raymond or The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson).

If that's gone, then fans will flock to the SG: Atlantis series, which is on its sophomore run.

The re-imagined BSG enjoyed great success across the Atlantic and Ron D. Moore hope it would impress the US audience, which they are.

OTOH, Andromeda... Well, I hate to say this but if the show's direction does not change course, I hope it goes out with Enterprise. I mean, that show should not last longer than the current Trek series, especially when they lost Robert Hewitt Wolfe back in Season 2.
    Just to point out a few things....

B5 was always intended to be a 5 season show, no more.

Galactica has done very well across the atlantic, so well in fact that more episodes were ordered before even the U.S. Debut

and as for Andromeda, Last season they were saying that Season 5 will be the last.