Thread: "Intolerant" flaw

"Intolerant" flaw

The description of this flaw in the PG just doesn't feel right for me -- the way it reads now is that the bigger the group, the higher the level of the flaw. E.g., if Klingons are the object, they're a big group, and so this is a level 3 flaw. If it's a lesser race (say, Bynars,) then it's a small group, and so it's only a level 1.

I'd prefer the levels to be based on the degree of animosity toward the group. For instance, level one would be a sort of general sneering disdain (no courage can be spent on social tests for this group,) level two being outright bigotry (one courage must be expended to engage in any social test at all,) and level three being a burning hatred, a sort of character flaw that goes down to the core of the character's personality -- kind of like the way Manchester Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell feels about George Bush (two courage must be expended for any social tests at all.)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoons/s...374966,00.html

Has anyone done this? Any comments/suggestions?

(Tobian: the Guardian comment was thrown in just for you.... )

Hmm, I see your point but I think the meaning is that of how much of a hindrence it would be to a player.. For example buying a flaw which is only means they will encounter it rarelly is a 'free' flaw - I.e. it means they have chosen something a hatred of something that will amost never affect them. Chosing Intollerant klingons is MUCH more likelly to be a problem, especially if you had a Klingon Crew member, hence it is a worse flaw! Hence it's worth more bonus points.

You could possibly have a double bought flaw - one for the level and one for the size..
    Ta Muchly

I usually do a combination of the two. Someone who dislikes Klingons, but doesn't insult them inentionally could be seen as having Intolerant 1 (Klingons), where Kirk in ST 6 would be more along the lines of Intolerant 2 or 3.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Yep that works for me.. he just opens his big fat mouth and out the words come

It would be the same as O'Brien's hatred of Cardassians, he hated them quite strongly, but he never intentionally went out of his way to do anything about it and was in denighal about it to keiko.. (Incidentally I watched that episode on repeats the other day.. O'Brien used to be Maxwell's tactical.... OFFICER )
    Ta Muchly

My rule of thumb is to listen to how the player describes the flaw, and assign a level then. I require flaws such as this to have some sort of backstory -- and it has to be a good one. "My parents taught me to be a bigot" simply won't wash; as hard as it is to get in Starfleet (seen in various episodes of TNG), I have difficulty believing candidates aren't required to undergo at least one interview with a counselor, and probably more than one if the counselor suspects anything.

Once they explain the backstory, I can decide how impairing I think the flaw will be. This also factors in how likely they are to encounter the object of their disdain; if they deeply dislike Cardassians, but the campaign will only rarely or never venture into contact with members of that race, the disadvantage is worth less.

I follow the Hero games rule: it's not a disadvantage unless it causes you some problems. To which I add: how much of a disadvantage is based on how often it causes you problems, and how severe they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Balok
    I follow the Hero games rule: it's not a disadvantage unless it causes you some problems. To which I add: how much of a disadvantage is based on how often it causes you problems, and how severe they are.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.