Thread: MGM DVD Lawsuit

MGM DVD Lawsuit

http://www.mgmdvdsettlement.com
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050127b.php

The class action lawsuit claim that MGM misled their customers by providing widescreen version of certain films when they are not. It claim that certain films (found listed in the first web site link) are of the correct aspect ratio but was altered by adding black bars above and below the film to make it look like a letterboxed widescreen.

I happened to noticed Spaceballs is listed as one of the questionable films on DVD. So's James Bonds's Goldfinger.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    http://www.mgmdvdsettlement.com
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050127b.php

The class action lawsuit claim that MGM misled their customers by providing widescreen version of certain films when they are not. It claim that certain films (found listed in the first web site link) are of the correct aspect ratio but was altered by adding black bars above and below the film to make it look like a letterboxed widescreen.

I happened to noticed Spaceballs is listed as one of the questionable films on DVD. So's James Bonds's Goldfinger.
    James Bonds's Goldfinger! You know how many sets I own!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Question

Is it labeled "widescreen" format?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Be careful folks. If you make a claim, and the attorney fees exceed the amount of the judgement or settlement, then the overage is billed to the claimants for services rendered. (The attorneys did represent you in court, after all.) You may end up actually owing money just by making a claim.

This could be a classic get-rich-quick scam that's not worth the risk unless big bucks per claimant are involved.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney-at-law or any kind of legal professional and the above should not be construed as any kind of legal advice. Persons seeking legal counsel should consult a licensed professional.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Well, reading the settlement page just says that the people who put in legitimate claims will be able to get their movies exchanged for a movie of a list of 350 or $7.10 each.

Given the size of this settlement, the attorneys are probably already covered.

Personally, I have the James Bond boxed set that includes seven movies; I don't want to lose those movies, since I doubt they're going to be replaced with true widescreen versions anytime soon.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz