7 25.93%
  • 10 Best of Trek

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate ST:ENT "Babel" Babel Arc Episode 1/3

Rate ST:ENT "Babel" Babel Arc Episode 1/3

Wow, I like this one a whole lot.
    Draftsmen in Training

Agreed. The ending was pretty clever. But i wondered if tech of the baddies may have been too much.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Did I see an Andorian Chaka (form LUG-Trek) in the preview for next week?
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Yeah, Dan, I thought "chaka" too. It's not exactly the same as in the Clans SB, but close enough for gubmint werk.

I almost gave this show a 9, but I'm reserving that score in case I decide the next two episodes are better. If this arc is as good as it could be, I might say something more positive about ENT than my usual, "Well, it's better than Voyager..."

Howzabout that Andorian chick kickin' ass in her undies?
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

*shrugs* Was not enthused but love the fact this was another Andorian Episode.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

voted 8

The episode was great on all fronts, great to see the tellarites/andorians once again
    Romuald "Pantoufle" Theate

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    Agreed. The ending was pretty clever. But i wondered if tech of the baddies may have been too much.
    That was about my only complaint for the ep, too, but it was a good story, so I didn't really care that much.

Shan and the Andorians continue to be just fantastic; I like the Tellarite portrayal -- almost straight out of the Aliens book.

I'm looking forward to the rest of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack
    Did I see an Andorian Chaka (form LUG-Trek) in the preview for next week?
    I wonder if the writers on that show are gamers

Now that I have my DVR I was able to catch watch this episode after I got home from work last night, and I found it to be pretty good. Like some of you, I questioned the technology of the baddies, but given the ease by which the disguise was overcome, it seems to be far less reliable than later tech, which I find forgiveable. The rest of the ship tech, though, I find to be a bit questionable, but still served as a good means for a story, so I'll not complain, as the end has yet to be revealed.

Additionally, like most, I found the end sequence to be quite cool, and unexpected. Manny Coto continues to impress and surprise me, and I'm eager to see how this arc plays out...particularly with next week's episode. The implications of how things play out seem to be really intriguing, and give additional credence to Babel in TOS.

So, here's looking forward to next week then!

Greg

Gave it a "7". It almost qualified as an eight, because the pacing was decent. The chief problem was that it was very derivative of the TOS episode "Journey to Babel". One could make the case that the antagonists in that episode (Orions) got their idea from history.

But just for T'Lara and a few others: last night's episode of "Battlestar Galactica" was much better than last night's episode of "Enterprise", I thought. I'd like to see Enterprise try a few character driven stories. (I suspect next week's episode of BSG will be highly derivative of a episode of the original series of that show.)

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    Considering that the modern military uses remote control drones for recon, and with it being possible to equip those drones with light ordnance or a small payload of chemical or biological weaponry, its not too far-fetched to have remote-controlled hologram-generating ships on Star Trek.

Its been said time and again that if a civilization more advanced than our own were to make contact with us, it wouldn't be living people in ships but rather sophisticated machines or robots of some kind that would make first contact.

So, I didn't find the tech too unbelievable.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Speaking of the drone ship, it looks like that ship that's in the Starship sourcebook, like in the introductory pages.

that does look like a Chaka blade...if curved rather than pointed
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Unfortunately, I don't get the next week previews on the Fox/UPN station I see Enterprise on, so I missed the chaka.

Now, the episode: the twist at the end is almost worth an 8 by itself. Very, very cool! I was quite impressed by the episode, and the portrayal of the Tellarites were quite good. And, well, any episode with Combs/Shran is a boon.

I'm with Sarge, I'd almost give it a 9, but I want to see if next week is better.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I was wavering between an 8 and a 9, went with an 8, but wow, it was a good episode. I had no problem with the tech of the ship, as it was a prototype, and obviously was having problems, plus the deception was seen through very quickly when eyes unimpeded by bias looked over the data. A very good episode. I like that it is moving the founding of the Federation forward. I like the portrayal of the Andorians and the Tellerites.

On another note, I enjoyed the Battlestar Galactica episode also. Different kinds of stories, but both are very well done. I'm hoping both series succeed this year so that we get several more seasons of both.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.