Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Important news regarding Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by Ezri's Toy
    Hmm. The development of Enterprise's cancellation makes me wonder if Decipher will decide not to produce any new RPG material since there'll be no televised Star Trek to provide public visibility for the product.
    I think any good businessman (woman) should certainly take that into account.

I think the future, as REG said, totally depends on sales. Decipher is a business and out to make money. If they can find a way to make RPGs profitable for them (in the wake of layoffs) then I'm sure they'll consider it.

However, keep in mind that they're under no obligation to publish anything and can certainly "squat" on the RPG license with no ill effects. Without a doubt VCP doesn't care one wit about the RPG license within the context of their other Trek licensing ventures.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

I think Spike should gloat. Good call.

As for the 'fans' killing the show -- good call. I agree completely. People bitched and didn't watch; now they'll bitch they can't watch.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq
    People bitched and didn't watch; now they'll bitch they can't watch.
    Um, am I the only one that doesn't follow this logic? If they "bitched" and didn't watch then their state in life didn't really change, now did it?

Too bad about ENT, though. <thinks for a bit>

Yea, that's about all I can muster. (Caught part of one episode this season. Did like it.)
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

It's very late and I'm very tired - checked in only to find out if Spike's source was on the money with regard to this - and I've got to say my feelings are a little mixed.

No, I was not a fan of the show. It lost me after the fourth episode - or thereabouts - in season one, and I've gone into great detail, in other threads, about exactly why I felt this venture was tilting against a windmill from the beginning. My opinion on that hasn't changed, but I guess there's always a little bit of the heart that pines for the potential denied. I've got nothing against the cast and crew - they worked their hearts out on this one; Scott Bakula's statements about the revamping following the largely stagnant second season showed that they actually gave a ripe damn - but God almighty, the creative decisions couldn't have been much worse. Again, at least according to what I've read, and family members/friends who have kept an eye on this entertainment train-wreck for the past four years.

Is Star Trek over and done with? I really hope not. I think the concept is simply too strong, too vital to fade into obscurity just because of a couple of incompetents had their hands on the wheel for a few years. Hopefully Rick Berman and crew can be sent off to some Paramount think tank to reinvent Hogan's Heroes or somesuch, and an individual who actually understands the concept, and, above all, isn't afraid to take chances will be able to take a proper kick at the can.

That's all. Nighty-night; check in tomorrow.

Ummm…

I think your Admiralship, that black meant how things now flow in the other direction: The “bashers” who hated the complained that it was on, now the “gushers” will complain how it isn’t on anymore…my guess, I could by wrong…

And Reg: when the ‘baby’ is a demon-seed, formed from an unholy alliance of uncreativeness and a lack of respect for both the majority of the fans and ‘that which went before’, then:
    You pitch the kid to curb, splash it with the contents of the tub (hopefully holy water), nail it with the tub; and if that don’t stop it, pitch the wash-woman at it...if it still moves after this, fetch a young priest and old priest, and cue a course Oldfield’s “Tubular Bells”.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Question

So which represented Enterprise and which is B&B? The baby or the tainted bathwater?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    UPN is in midst of changing its programming ‘parameters’ from ‘general’ to ‘urban youth’ and ‘young female’…no, I don’t understand why either…anyway Ent. obviously doesn’t meet either requirement (no urban youth would identify with any character, and no self respecting lady [young or otherwise] would cheer any of the female characters on this show).

Stranger still, WWE Smackdown doesn’t meet the new programming criteria either, and that means it’s could be going on the chopping block…despite the fact that IT’S THE NETWORK’S #1 SHOW!!! That’s in both ratings and demographics for those playing.

So, if UPN’s willing to dump it’s “breadwinner”…what makes fans think that Ent. should/could be saved…?
    UPN has already cancelled Smackdown, although it'll keep going until mid-2006. But they've announced they won't pick up the contract again after that. I heard that a few days ago, and so I expected them to cancel Enteprise too. It seems obvious that you are right and they are reinventing their network completely.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq
    I think Spike should gloat. Good call.
    It was not my prediction. I was just the messenger passing on a message. And in true Greek fashion, some who did not like the message wanted to kill the messenger.

I wonder, should I have outted my source and gotten him fired or should I have just kept my mouth shut.

::Spike, his mouth closed::

Tiny Team Penant

Yay!

That's it. Finally someone had the sense to cancell the show. Finally. Love and kisses to all. Perhaps now those fan shows will be able to make some money.

Well...

I'm not shocked about the cancellation of the show, but I am shocked that UPN canceled it. Does UPN make anything worth watching to the general audience? Unless I want to torture myself with watching sticks with puffy lips wanting to become super models.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Zeldis
    Yay!

That's it. Finally someone had the sense to cancell the show. Finally. Love and kisses to all. Perhaps now those fan shows will be able to make some money.

I don't know whether to wince or to laugh hysterically.

From what (admittedly, little) I've seen of fan shows, I'm going to go with "wince."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I'm sorry to hear the news that UPN has cancelled ENT. While I was disappointed in the beginning, I have grown to like the show & I think the 4th season is the best yet. I hope we will see a new Star Trek TV series but I recommend they stick to the 24th Century setting.

Here's more news:

Berman Reacts To Enterprise
    Rick Berman, executive producer of the just-canceled Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that he was surprised not by UPN's decision, but by the fact that viewers continued to tune out the series despite a marked improvement in quality, strong reviews and guest appearances by the likes of Brent Spiner.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30325

Hmmm......seems that it was not a post by an Enterprise-basher.....LOL.

I for one am a little sad that things are going pear-shaped for Enterprise as, after a dodgy start, it seemed to have found it's feet. That said, it is probablu a good idea to let the franchise rest and breathe for a while. What a shocking thought, huh?

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"

Quote Originally Posted by Poolshark
    That said, it is probablu a good idea to let the franchise rest and breathe for a while. What a shocking thought, huh?
    Well, I do agree we need a break. But why can't they just let Enterprise finish at least one more season? I mean let the cast and crew fulfill their five-year contracts. After that, take a very looong break that includes Berman & Braga cleaning up their office desk at the franchise HQ building.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

That's a very decent thought coming from you, Reg!

For me, this sucks big time. I've liked Enterprise almost from the start, in spite of the frequently-bad writing (IMO, the first couple of seasons of TNG were often worse), and for me, it picked up from the end of season 2. The Xindi arc was good and what I've heard about the new stuff sounded very promising. Coto was definitely a Good Thing.

Ok, so the characters were a little bland, but that's usually the case with Trek for the first couple of years. I still say the continuity issues were blown out of all proportion. From my POV, I watched to be entertained, not to see if they got this or that little thing spot-on. And "no prizing" the gaffes is a favourite hobby of mine

What I hate to point out is that, judging from the Sci-fi.com article, the show seems to have been axed because of the new direction. Viewing figures dropped from 13 million to 2.9 million. Given that Trek has always relied on casual viewers to keep going (the given reason why it avoided complex arcs like those in B5), its change to a more arc-based formula would have driven away many of those viewers (whose numbers were already down because it was "just another Trek"). This basically left the hard-core fans, who contrary to popular belief, were never enough to sustain a show like this. Hence, kaput

Don't worry folks, we didn't kill it - there were too few of us to save it in the first place.

The sad thing is, if Coto had pursued his mini-arc concept in the beginning, it might have kept things going. Most casual viewers can muster the energy to follow two or three episode stories.

Having said all that, it's probably a good idea to let it rest. We've had a glut of Trek in recent years, and I sense some belly-ache from some quarters.

Now, the fans are needed - to keep it alive until the next revival
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)