Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Important news regarding Enterprise

I must disagree... I'm pretty sure that in TOS that was Shatner's real hair. My mom worked in the hairdressing business for years and she can spot toupees and the like miles away; her toupee-busting super-powers are even keener when the perpetrator is on TV. And she'll tell you that was his real hair. You can tell because you can also see that it was thinning even then. Although to hedge my bet I *think* they made him wear one near the end of TOS.

The same pattern happened with Sean Connery in the James Bond films.

And going back to that hair = bad ST; you could sometimes tell that Bakula was a predecesor to Kirk... sometimes under some lighting angle you could tell he's thinning.

Me... I cheated by having hair transplants and taking Propecia. You can laugh now. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OT.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken
    I must disagree... I'm pretty sure that in TOS that was Shatner's real hair.
    Nope. A friend of the family met him prior to TOS. He was performing a play and was adjusting (or reapplying, can't remember which) his toupee in the dressing room...

A lot of people think the same thing about Burt Reynolds. He's had a rug since the mid-seventies. They've just been very good rugs...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Why did they go to all the trouble of bringing in new blood, just to cancel the show almost immediately afterwards? They didn't even give the show time to get turned around in the new direction before they pulled the plug.

--First of Two
    So that the old blood can blame the new blood for the shows demise and not have to take responsibility for it?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Nope. A friend of the family met him prior to TOS. He was performing a play and was adjusting (or reapplying, can't remember which) his toupee in the dressing room...
    I read this on Shatner's web site, in that he didn't always use the rug, and it was heavily dependant on the lighting of the scene. If it's harsh, his hair would look really bad and so the rug was used. It wasn't used often in outside shots, etc.. where the lighting was more natural (obviously) and didn't look so wrong.

He apparently went through a variety of 'tricks' for a long time to deal with his thin hair, and dealing with the fact that 'it looks fine in real life' for a lot of it. (It's very thin now, of course, but that's just age).

Originally posted by redwood973
    So that the old blood can blame the new blood for the shows demise and not have to take responsibility for it?
    I imagine that Manny Coto's hiring was in the works, probably as far back as mid-late third season; in my considerably uninformed opinion, these things take a fair amount of time to set up and organize before they become actualities, especially if the person is still commited to another job. At the very least, I figure that there was speculation that it might be time to let someone who actually knew how to drive take the wheel for a while. Unfortunately - and again, this is coming from someone who hasn't so much as looked at the show since early first season and is going entirely by third-hand reports - it was too little, too late: Berman and Braga had driven this thing irreparably into the ground.

Again, for me this entire series is going to fall into the category of "A bad dream that Jim Kirk had after a head-cheese hoagie". The grievous continuity errors were one thing, the malignantly bad stories another...but together, they rendered this thing to the point where it was facing what was basically a snowball's chance in Hell. God willing, the next person to bat - in another five or ten years, however long it takes for Viacom/Paramount to clear the gangrenous taste of this venture from its palatte - will be able to look to the future and take some risks rather than retreating back into a past that's already been written.

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973
    I suspect the reason is that Berman and Braga knew the end was drawing near. So they wanted to step away and pursue other projects, leaving Enterprise in the hands of a custodian good enough to complete its run -- for Coto's part, he's happy because it gets him some "cred" in television.

There are a number of hints, like this, that suggest the handwriting was on the wall before this season even began.

Originally posted by Balok
    There are a number of hints, like this, that suggest the handwriting was on the wall before this season even began.
    Agreed - I remember that Jolene Blalock was quoted several months ago in either Maxim or FHM as saying that this was likely their final year. There...there may have been some photographs attached to that article...I can't really be sure...

Save Enterprise

We must do everything we can to preserve the Show. We can send letters,emails, or sign the petition at http://www.startrekfans.net/ or at http://www.saveenterprise.com/

thanks for the support!
    Romulans believe their way of life is best; their culture, they feel is superior to all others, and they seek to impose their culture on the rest of the galaxy, at the point of a disruptor if need be.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Just reading the Production report on part 2 of the Mirror Universe episode, and it looks like the show will total only 98 episodes. Is the 100 number a hard line for syndication?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I don't think it's a hard number; I think 98 rounds up to 100 nicely enough for a syndication package.

Personally, I just want them to get the DVD sets out, and then I can just put this whole ugly incident behind me.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Contest

Radio station KZOK in Seattle is holding a Star Trek contest, winner gets a walk on role in the last episode. For those Ent fans, last chance to be part of Trek history.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

Yay, (as Treefrog dances around the living room)...

To all those that know me, I've been a vociferous hater of Enterprise for a very long time!

It just goes to show that if your patient, persistent (aka stubborn) then anything is possible.
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

Well I enjoyed the show and have been feeling depressed that it was canceled
    Garet

Interesting development in the fan drive to keep Enterprise continuing:
    Investors in commercial space flight industry anonymously contribute $3-million to TrekUnited
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Lightbulb Heard about this...

And I think it's just stupid:
    1) It's been figured that 'the fans' would have to raise about $30 mil. in order to produce the series at 'current production value', and that's assuming that Paramount would even allow outside funding directly by private citizens (they have enough problems satisfying advertisers...can you just imagine trying to do the same to ALL 'their' investors... )

2) 'They' don't have a network to show, nor is it being 'shopped'. I heard/read the 'Spike rumor', and to that I say, Spike should just buy the rights to Smackdown (which has waaaaaaaaaay better ratings/demographics [compared to Ain't] and Spike has a fantastic track record with WWE programing: Raw, Velocity, Sunday Night Heat,... Bsically, it's more of a match [pardon the pun]).

If these 'fans' (and any want-to-be/would-be investing fan) really want to improve the state of 'Trek; invest in some of the fan-films out there: Exter, Final Frontier, Stone Trek, and even Capt. Hunter's very own Intrepid. These films/projects deserve the money a lot more then Ain't-a-prize ever does or did:
    - The fans (most of the time) don't get paid, they do it for the love of acting and the source material.
    - The films/projects usually do not have sponsers (Stone Trek did get Starland, but that's a rare event), so they need all the support they can get...and lastly.
    - Look at what they (the fans this time, not 'They') did/could do on their limited budget vs. what 'They' (this time I do mean 'They') did with 'Theirs'...now imagine if the fans actually got a serious ammount of money to work with...WOOOOOOOOW!!!! Blow the mind!!!

Just a thought...
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'