Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well...what now?

Question Well...what now?

Since Enterprise has been given the Axe, I wonder if anyone is going to care for these places anymore. I've had a blast creating new ships, backgrounds and rules for people to play with, but now with the main lines dead, Should I bother?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Don't be silly ! Startrek's been chancelled before - that didn't harm it, it grew one of the largest fanbases of all times

I think everyone is going to be reeling from the shock, but we all still play the game based on a set of series that were cancelled several years ago.. Very few people here actually play using Enterprise as their model.. They mostly use TNG/ DS9 - with a few bits from Voyager thrown in.. those series ended 4-11 years ago - yes TNG ended 11 years ago!!! We all still base it off a defunct series, so I am not too sure how things will change.. I guess in the long term there'll be no new blood coming in, but then again we have no idea what's going to happen in the long run.. I suspect there'll be no Startrek for a while, but it may well be resurected in some form on some channel.
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Don't be silly ! Startrek's been chancelled before - that didn't harm it, it grew one of the largest fanbases of all times
    Unfortunately, it was different time back then. The fanbase is so divided now.

I think everyone is going to be reeling from the shock, but we all still play the game based on a set of series that were cancelled several years ago.. Very few people here actually play using Enterprise as their model.. They mostly use TNG/ DS9 - with a few bits from Voyager thrown in.. those series ended 4-11 years ago - yes TNG ended 11 years ago!!! We all still base it off a defunct series, so I am not too sure how things will change.. I guess in the long term there'll be no new blood coming in, but then again we have no idea what's going to happen in the long run.. I suspect there'll be no Startrek for a while, but it may well be resurected in some form on some channel.
    I guess i'm one of the few that still RPs in 22nd century. I just happen to like the look and feel of that era. But then again it may not be resurrected and if it does its going to have its purist-elitist critics that'll bring it down. Some folks are just stuck in the 24th century
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    Since Enterprise has been given the Axe, I wonder if anyone is going to care for these places anymore. I've had a blast creating new ships, backgrounds and rules for people to play with, but now with the main lines dead, Should I bother?
    Should you bother? Do you like Trek? Do you like to make up new materials for the game? If so, then keep doing what you enjoy.

There hasn't been much new blood here over the past year or so, and I don't expect that to change. Trek RPGing is a small niche within a small niche (RPGing in general), so the market for new stuff is pretty small. However, that small market appears to be pretty loyal, judging from the regular traffic here and on Decipher's boards.

IMO, the bottom line is if you enjoy the game, keep with it whether there's an active TV series or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    IMO, the bottom line is if you enjoy the game, keep with it whether there's an active TV series or not.
    Amen! Especially considering I got into Trek RP when the only Trek we had was TOS reruns and movies every few years. (Hard to believe that was 21 years ago. Man, I'm old!)
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Amen! Especially considering I got into Trek RP when the only Trek we had was TOS reruns and movies every few years. (Hard to believe that was 21 years ago. Man, I'm old!)
    Yeah! And when I got into Trek RP, we only had the crappy blue FASA books to work with. We soon created a homebrew, years before ICON came out.

--Another geezer Ineti

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    Yeah! And when I got into Trek RP, we only had the crappy blue FASA books to work with. We soon created a homebrew, years before ICON came out.

--Another geezer Ineti
    Yep. Same here.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I'm going to just throw my hat in with everybody else here and say there's no reason to quit working on Trek RPs just because Trek is no longer on the air. Especially, if you don't mind a little props, work as good as yours, BC.

As for the community... I'd say that with something as great as Trek was, and will continue to be because of its fans, there's really little to worry about. There will always be Trek fans, I think. Look at the Wing Commander community, that series has been dead for ages and they still maintain an active community complete with new or continuing fan projects/mods to other games and even an RPing community without there ever being a published RP line. (www.wcnews.com for proof on that, btw ^_^)

Just because a Star Trek TV Series is gone does mean Trek is dead. Sheesh, even divided we support our favorite shows in the Trek Saga. Make your stats and support your game. Post. I never came here to talk just my love of the shows and movies but my love of the RPG. I get alot of ideas from people. Keep in mind: Spike and Sci-Fi channel are still playing reruns. So enjoy.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Space Cadet, I'm not knocking people who like to play Enterprise era.. I'm sure there ae more of them out there, just not very visibly on these boards, however my point is that people STILL play RPG's based on dead shows - I.e. TNG, DS9 Voyager and TOS are all cancelled shows.. In the example of the first three there, they were given a fair crack at the whip and ended sensibly within their alloted time, however they are no more.. BUT it's fairly obvious from the heavy reference to them that they are not 'dead' in any sense of the RPG world... or any of the fanbases

I haven't even seen any of the Enterprise Season 4 that everyone's going on about, but more so than anything that's gone before I am more likelly to find a place for them in my future ark, than anything else on Enterprise.. and i suspect many others will too.. there's life in the old girl yet!
    Ta Muchly

I hope this site doesn't end. (Though it has died down the past two years).

The first time I came to this site I was 12... now I'm almost 18.

Like many younger Star Trek fans, I've never experienced a very long time without Star Trek. Now, with Star Trek ending and The Animated Series being released on DVD, there won't be anymore new Trek for me, unless the proposed MMORPG gets of the ground.

Star Trek needs places like this to survive and grow. It worked after the original series (and that was before the internet).

Farscape is already gone (and I don't see anything in its future after TPW), Dune only lasted two miniseries, Stargate has worn out its welcome, and in a few years Battlestar Galactica will probably be gone too. I wonder, what, if anything will replace them?

I have to believe that enough sane people exist in the world to cry out for real television instead of reality TV. When that happens, Star Trek will be back.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Speaking as another "old geezer" on this forum, I have ot say that I'm also sticking around. Trek has been good to me in the 27 years I remember watching it, so, I can only be kind and continue to give the franchise my loyalty.

I plan to stick around and contribute as I can.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    Are you serious? Ahhh...you Young Turks, who never knew a world when The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan were the only "real" Star Trek offerings in existence (other than that small-screen syndicated show with 79 episodes, about 40 of them good....)

If Star Trek didn't die in 1970, I rather doubt it will die in 2005. There's old plots to rehash, old starships to rebuild, cliched novels to be drafted, and brave new profits in merchandising to be had! And, along the way, there may even be some fun to be had.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187
    Ahhh...you Young Turks, who never knew a world when The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan were the only "real" Star Trek offerings in existence
    Dude, try when only those 79 episodes and the Animated series was the only thing on...

I'm old enough that my mom would sit my up to watch it on NBC back in 1967!

(Granted, I was only 3, but it looked very cool! And we were the only people around who had a color TV!)

Trek really didn't get "cool" until TNG... before that, you were the biggest dork around if you admitted you were a trekkie! And SciFi wasn't at all cool until 1977 (Star Wars and Close Encounters)!

You "young 'uns" have it too easy!

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Wink

*Remembers watch ST:TAS back to back with the Flash Gordon Animated Series*
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"