Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well...what now?

Originally posted by Hirogen Alpha
    Like many younger Star Trek fans, I've never experienced a very long time without Star Trek. Now, with Star Trek ending and The Animated Series being released on DVD, there won't be anymore new Trek for me, unless the proposed MMORPG gets of the ground.
    Oh dear God, don't tempt me. I've become enough of a quivering City of Heroes addict over the past seven months or so; the absolute last thing I need is to have to opportunity to get on line and create a Starfleet Command-branch officer, working his way up from Ensign to the senior ranks. Scrapping Klingons...outwitting Romulans...heckling Tholians...must...shut down...pleasure-center...

Argh, I just know my willpower is not going to be equal to the test. CoH, a farewell in advance - if it ever comes about - but there is simply no room in my heart (or time in my life) for two loves. Star Trek: The MMPOG: kiss me, baby - I'm yours.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by D.S.McBride
    Argh, I just know my willpower is not going to be equal to the test. CoH, a farewell in advance - if it ever comes about - but there is simply no room in my heart (or time in my life) for two loves. Star Trek: The MMPOG: kiss me, baby - I'm yours.

I'm right with you, D.S. Which CoH server, btw? (Victory here.)
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Keep posting your stuff, BC. They are always interting reads and you seem to have fun creating stuff like that.

I have not been an ENT basher. I really didn't care that much about it. In one post somewhere in another thread someone stated that in the past a day would be reschedueld in order to be able to catch an episode, and that this simply wasn't happening any more. That's the exact way with me. Living in CE we're still far away from season4 (damn, I don't even know which season were airing just now). So far, I have not turned off the TV when ENT was showing and I happend to stumpble over it. That is behaviour that NEVER would have occured back with TNG. I still have friends who were mad at me for not coming out until the episode (tuesday at five) was finished. TNG captured me. ENT never did in the same way. I think I wanted to see more stories in the 2370s timeframe... But I'm quite sure, that in time I'll watch all ENT episodes. I've nearly completed my DVD based Babylon 5 re-run and although we have Stargate SG1 playing I don't see what some of you guys see in it. I can't cope with RD Andersons character.

Getting carried away here...

I'll stick to the Trek universe as I have for the past ...well... certainly 14 to 15 years. And I hope and pray that the next incarnation of the genre will be neither Starfleet Academy nor Klingon House of Honour.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Casey
    Trek really didn't get "cool" until TNG... before that, you were the biggest dork around if you admitted you were a trekkie!

That's a little premature, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Speaking as another "old geezer" on this forum, I have ot say that I'm also sticking around. Trek has been good to me in the 27 years I remember watching it, so, I can only be kind and continue to give the franchise my loyalty.

I plan to stick around and contribute as I can.
    I'm probably a geezer, too...but I don't see myself sticking around here much longer, honestly. I love Trek, and always have, but I haven't had the chance to role-play in the universe in a long time...easily 10 or 11 years, and possibly longer. I've dabbled with some of the RPG stuff since then, but I've not been able to get a game together to save my life.

So I don't have much of a tie to the gaming portion of my chosen fandom. Add to that Decipher's constant lies and mishandling of things, and the incessant negativity that permeates this place regarding my favorite of the modern shows, and this just isn't a very happy place for me. I'll be in and out, probably, at least long enough to harvest all the ships and species I've designed over the past couple of years, but after that...I doubt it.

I'm not happy here anymore, and I think it's time for me to move along.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Oddly, this might bring me back to Star Trek. That said, much like many others, I remember when there was only occaisional movies and FASA, and I still love it

I doubt the Trek MMORPG will go through, but I for one would be curious to see what comes of it

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.McBride
    Oh dear God, don't tempt me. I've become enough of a quivering City of Heroes addict over the past seven months or so; the absolute last thing I need is to have to opportunity to get on line and create a Starfleet Command-branch officer, working his way up from Ensign to the senior ranks. Scrapping Klingons...outwitting Romulans...heckling Tholians...must...shut down...pleasure-center...

Amen and Ditto. As long as we remember the good times, acknowledge the bad (which is objective both), Star Trek will live. As long as we go to conventions (and other such community creating things) and show that there is a sizable and profitable fan base, products will come out (eventually).

It may be 5 years, or 10 years, but those of us who truly enjoy the show will still be enjoying this franchise when the next incarnation comes to the small or big screen. But hopefully, when that happens, they will have learned from their mistakes, and listen to the fans. They need to remember that we are their touchstones, their rock in a stormy sea. Without us, they have no future.

Star Trek will never die. It has become this HUGE phenomenon. Yes, it will fade away from the mainstream (the same way the SW franchise will after the last movie) but it'll remain the king (like Elvis) of its genre. There is so much ST material, now easily accesible on DVD, to sustain ST viewing for a long time.

BTW me too I couldn't manage to get a ST game running even with a gun pointed at my head

I got into ST when TNG was into its 2nd season, and I used to hate the show- I was too immature I guess to appreciate its nuances. I really loved the movies like ST 2-3-4. Back then the RPG system was FASA and I got a group together and we played that thing (with the starship combat game) to death. I even had players who hated ST but loved the game (!) Aahhh those were the days...

Going back to ENT, don't they have enough shows (100?) to run it in syndication? If so I'd bet real money that the show will grow a wider fanbase ... maybe that was the idea in canceling it
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

I'm in for the long haul my own self, guys, trying as it may be sometimes.

You see, my friends, it has been a good five years since I've been involved in a Star Trek RPG session. Reason being? Most of the gaming people I know have more interest in fantasy than sci-fi, and when they DO do sci-fi, it's usually something fantasy-flavored like Dragonstar or Star Wars.

The last time I was involved in a Trek game was with the old Icon rules. An awesome, awesome time.

But that time has passed, and I can't get a Trek game together to save my life, at least not with a group of players who immediately ask how many phaser rifles they can beam down with.

Here's hoping I'll either find an existing Trek tabletop going on, or have the courage to wave the game around for potential takers in the future.

But I'll still be here.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

^ Have you considered a play by post or play by email game? I've also had a real hard time finding enough Trek-smart players to run an effective game face to face.

Missouri's a bit of a commute for me to make a regular game.

I think one reason Trek has a hard time with RPGs is that it's not all that conducive to 'party' play. The captain gives out orders which the crew obeys, etc - and they have fairly set jobs. Even in a good comraderie spirit, adventuring can get a bit more rigid than most gamers would like.

Not impossible, just a lot harder than Wing Commander or Star Wars where the people doing the adventuring are more-or-less equals. You don't often see Luke order Han to do something, for instance, and all the Wing Commander pilots (the ones actually adventuring) tend to be at or near the same rank.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    It'd be a bit of a commute for me, even if I was at home in Missouri! (Kansas City is my hometown.)

Now, Lt Cmdr Matt has been trying to get a forum-based game together for some time now; so far, I'm the only person signed on. Anyone interested in playing some Trek should probably get a hold of him, either through this site or the FBR.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Well, I've been involved with a Trek MUX for a while, so I think that'll do me for now.

I guess I'm just really hankering for some tabletop. When I said I haven't gamed Trek in all that time, what I meant to say is that I haven't gamed PERIOD in that amount of time.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Casey
    Dude, try when only those 79 episodes and the Animated series was the only thing on...

I'm old enough that my mom would sit my up to watch it on NBC back in 1967!

(Granted, I was only 3, but it looked very cool! And we were the only people around who had a color TV!)

Trek really didn't get "cool" until TNG... before that, you were the biggest dork around if you admitted you were a trekkie! And SciFi wasn't at all cool until 1977 (Star Wars and Close Encounters)!

You "young 'uns" have it too easy!

Dude me too, I was only one when it debuted in '66 but according to my parents, the minute i heard the opening notes of the theme, i was glued to the TV

Well, what I will do myself (if I can find the time that is... ) is dusting off my old campaign idea. And then see if I can lure some friends away from EQ2 and WoW, now when the their weekly Trek fix will dry out.

TrekRPGnet will be here, and so will I.