Thread: Star Wars: New Essential Guides

Star Wars: New Essential Guides

The Star Wars New Essential Guides / Essential Guides.

Anybody buy these?

Use them for anything? Are they any good in anyone's opinion?

I'm curious as to whether they're worth it, or simple eye candy (or if so, if eye candy is worth it.)
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I have a couple. They're okay, though I'm a spoiled tech freak, so I wish for more details, more information.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I have the vehicle guide and I definitely have to agree with REG that its lacking on technical details, but that's to be expected as SW never really cares about that stuff. The pictures are kinda' pretty though and can be quite helpful if you're running an SW game and want the players to know what a ship looks like, which I've used the book for a few times, and the new one provides a quote about each ship from a character in-setting that I found kind of interesting.

Not sure how worth it the book is. If you're a big Star Wars fan I reccomend it, otherwise they're probably not worth it. Honestly I prefer the old guide, at least for vehicles, but this one filled in a few blanks and had the advantage of colour pics ^_^

I've collected all of them so far. My favorite so far is the Chronology, and I'm really looking forward to the New Chronology. My next favorites are the Characters ones. I don't like the way they handled Aliens or Worlds. I wish they'd go ahead and make a New one for every original one, and do a better job for the ones I didn't like. Some entries in some of the volumes are waay off topic, like when they're supposed to be talking about a world, they just talk about characters attached to that world. I want more profile data for things like worlds and aliens, and better maps for worlds. I have the equipment books and I guess they're well done, but they are the ones whose topic I am least interested in.

These books are certainly more essential than any other SW reference books. The Encyclopedia didn't turn out too good but the Guides to the Universe are okay. But it would be cool to have a detailed SW starcharts book, maybe including planetary maps and a universe map showing just how far, far away it really is. A sector map for maybe every sector we know anything about.

I've got both the original Starships and New Starships books and while I like the art of the new one, I find that I like the orthigraphic stuff from the original a lot more.
    I don't care if you're a scientist or the captain of a garbage scow assigned to Ruh'ra Pente- you don't wait until your shields are mostly gone to start shooting back. If your enemy has already started hurling subatomic death at you, descression has ceased to be the better part of valor!