Thread: News from Decipher

News from Decipher

Hey gang, I've been pestering Decipher for an answerfor almost a month, they finally got bask to me today with this response about the game:

Scott,

Thank you very much for your interest and enthusiasm regarding the Star
    Trek RPG. I am working on future plans for the line but unfortunately
    we don't have anything ready to announce yet.

This summer the line will be supported by our volunteers at the major
    summer conventions and some new downloadable adventures will be posted
    on our web site in March. Hopefully we will have some more news for
    you soon.

Thanks for your support!

Best,
    Scott

Scott Gaeta
    SVP Game Studio
    Decipher, Inc.
    757-664-1114

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    Hey gang, I've been pestering Decipher for an answerfor almost a month, they finally got bask to me today with this response about the game:
    In short, the same thing I said a few days ago over here. Independent confirmation is a good thing, though. Shows I'm not just blowing smoke...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thanks for the update. I'm very interested in the upcoming new adventures in March.

Maybe we'll even see a published STRPG book this year from Decipher.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    In short, the same thing I said a few days ago over here.

More latebreaking however is Decipher has promoted Timothy Creese to RPG Assistant for the dAgents (Decipher volunteers). He will be working with decipher volunteers to grow both the trek and lotr rpg lines. In case you missed it in the other thread, Timothy will be in charge of organizing LOTR RPG events at the major cons while Doug is helping organize trek rpg line at the summer cons. As of this morning according to Decipher, the dispute with Paramount is still continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by jened
    As of this morning according to Decipher, the dispute with Paramount is still continuing.
    OK, this is the first I've heard of this dispute. Can you point me in the right direction for the confirmed particulars ?
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Quote Originally Posted by Ezri's Toy
    OK, this is the first I've heard of this dispute. Can you point me in the right direction for the confirmed particulars ?
    dispute was the word used today and i'm not sure how careful the word was chosen. the only public info is that Scott Gaeta (Senior VP of Decipher's Game Studio) said that Decipher is working with Paramount to finalize details. as trek is a licensed product, all sorts of stuff has to go through for approval just as in their trek ccg. perhaps there is some give and take going on. anyways, it looks like something will be happening the line as opposed to nothing happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezri's Toy
    It was described to me as more a rebuilding of the approvals process and the professional relationship with Paramount. "Dispute" does put a different spin on it though, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    It was described to me as more a rebuilding of the approvals process and the professional relationship with Paramount. "Dispute" does put a different spin on it though, doesn't it?
    Well, I suppose if Paramount were wanting major changes or revisions to the books that were already "in the can" before new approvals were to be made, then that might be cause to use the word "dispute." (Of course, this is just speculation. . . .)

Then again, this is good news: It means that Decipher and Paramount are talking to one another and that negotiations are still open. Since the ST CCG is still going "great guns," I will assume that the rebuilding of the approvals process is specific to the RPG line. From this, we can infer that Decipher fully intends to continue the Star Trek RPG line in some form, even if its just to release the books they already have "in the can."

Now, let's just hope they can get to a point where they can get the books into the hands of greedy ST RPG fans like us.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

i agree it is a very good sign! i wonder though about just publishing books they already own and then no new ones. i would assume the cost of paying some people to write a rpg book and proof read it, pale in comparison with printing costs. if this is the case, i'd expect many more books?

Is it possible that Decipher ruffled a few feathers at Paramount by abandoning its Star Trek RPG line? Perhaps Paramount executives are reluctant to simply green light their ostensibly renewed commitment to the line without some assurances.

Quote Originally Posted by Balok
    Perhaps Paramount executives are reluctant to simply green light their ostensibly renewed commitment to the line without some assurances.
    Or, with the cancellation of the show, perhaps there is a lot of "reorganization" going on at Paramount, as well? After all, this is the first time in 17 years that there is no Trek production on the horizon. Imagine how many production people, some of whom have been employed since TNG, got pink slips this week. Not just production, but development, post-prod, and back office people.

They're probably a little busy over there right now.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

The answer is "None of the above." Viacom/Paramount/etc. began a period of reorganization back in November. As a result, Decipher has had to begin almost fromt he ground up developing their professional relationship with the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    The answer is "None of the above." Viacom/Paramount/etc. began a period of reorganization back in November. As a result, Decipher has had to begin almost fromt he ground up developing their professional relationship with the company.
    true but decipher's star trek ccg hasn't been held up by this redevelopment with paramount and every single card including image has to be cleared by them. i realize the volume of info is greater in a rpg but still. at the minimum, while the rpg lines were on ice, there was no redevelopment going on.

Dilbert was right. Reorganizations are Evil.

Lesson learned: Never Reorganize.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook