Thread: SCI FI Renews Galactica

SCI FI Renews Galactica

SCI FI Channel has ordered a second season of its hit series Battlestar Galactica, which has aired five episodes of its first season of 13 episodes.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30357

Woohoo! This news makes up for the news about the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise.

Speaking of which, Ron Moore takes a pause from BG to comment on the current state of Star Trek fandom in his blog.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Cool Just read Ron's Blog...

And that was beeeeeeeeeautifully put: "Star Trek has been returned to the fans"...That crystalized my thoughts exactly; for waaaaaaaaay to many years (roughly eleven) Trek has been "Their" domain.

I never really like Voyager (stopped watching somewhere around season three/four), and NEVER watch Ain't...er, Ent (it's bad to speak poor of the dead), but with these last two series, I swear I felt there was no fan input (esp. Ent.). When fans made negitive comments about 'the chain of events' (notice I didn't say the 'C'-word), and even made suggestions of how they could be fixed/improved, "They" gave those fans the bum's rush...and "They" wondered why the fans walked away. Not to mention; when was the last one of "Them" went to a Trek convention...Hmmm...just as well, the extra security would have backrupt the con (unless the con wanted another 'Pantera' on their hands)

If this were sports, the spin would be "The team is a period of rebuilding...". Hmmm...let's hope that other sport cliche "the team can't be fired, but the coaches can"

I also like Ron's thought: "You only need your imagination..."...Ron's gotta be reading minds, cause...wow, weird. Plus, we've got books, novels, fan-films, re-runs, tapes, DVDs...and of course RPGs...wish we had miniatures, but guess you can't have everything.

I'm glad his show's been renewwed, it brings the number of 'good sci-fi on TV' up to two-and-a-half (hey, some of Andromeda is more watchably than most of Ent).
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Good news to me -- so far, I've been very happy with the quality of the show. It's not original Galactica. And in a lot of ways, that's a good thing.

Excellent... and with the recent government tax breaks it will keep shooitng here in Vancouver... Must... get... audition...

Response to Ron's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    [snipped for brevity]
    Meh. Had this been a year ago, I would agree. But now I'm saddened. To me, Manny Coto is a Trek fan's fan.

Anyhoo, if Manny Coto will not be part of the new Trek franchise, then Ron should strongly consider hiring him, along with the Reeves-Stevens (Judith and Garfield).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    . . . Plus, we've got books, novels, fan-films, re-runs, tapes, DVDs...and of course RPGs...wish we had miniatures, but guess you can't have everything.
    [Off-topic]

No. But the next best thing, in my opinion, is Alea Tools Magnetic Markers and top-art counters made from Star Trek CCG cards.

Click here for Alea Tools Magnetic Markers for Gamers

[/Off-topic]
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Battlestar Galactica renewed?! I am not suprised in the slightest. It has been really good and really fresh, the writing well wow. Will it continue? I hope it gets better so far each episode has been amazing, but I want to see how it evolves. Is this going to be a new Babylon 5 or Farscape or will it be an Andromeda First season had promise, second did well now....what the Hell!!? I plan to enjoy this until it ends or it blows. Right now it is completely awesome. Hopefully stays that way.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    Is this going to be a new Babylon 5 or Farscape or will it be an Andromeda First season had promise, second did well now....what the Hell!!? I plan to enjoy this until it ends or it blows. Right now it is completely awesome. Hopefully stays that way.
    How long did Farscape last?

Personally, I hope it goes the same distance as SG-1, now in its 9th season(?).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    How long did Farscape last?
    Lasted, about as long or longer as other shows that are well loved. Like the Original Battlestar. This was the first great original show from Sci Fi. Show may be gone but they did an awesome mini series recently.

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Personally, I hope it goes the same distance as SG-1, now in its 9th season(?).
    As long as we talk show running length as long as it is still good not tired and flat let it be like Law & Order or the Simpsons. What seasons are those again?
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I thought the Original BSG only lasted one season before the Abomination that was BSG-80.

L&O is on it's 14th season, by the way.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    I thought the Original BSG only lasted one season before the Abomination that was BSG-80.

as I said below:

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    Lasted, about as long or longer as other shows that are well loved. Like the Original Battlestar. This was the first great original show from Sci Fi. Show may be gone but they did an awesome mini series recently.
    So it lasted longer as I said it using Original Battlestar as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    L&O is on it's 14th season, by the way.
    Why do you think I said Simpsons and L&O. Two of the longest running shows around. Simpsons 16 and of course as you posted 14. I added those lovely smiley faces as I wanted to hint it was retorichal.

Once again, someone in a clique just attacking and not reading... I am getting tired of this guys.
    Hey my opinion

Well, technically speaking, G80 was the second season of Battlestar Galactica, retooled after a one-year hiatus.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Perhaps it didn't get past that peanut you call a brain, T'Lara, but I was affirming your statement by mentioning L&O's season number (since I happened to know it).

Get a life.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

*sigh* OK, as a moderator I have to ask you not to begin insulting each other. This is supposed to be a thread about a Sci-Fi series there is no need to get at each others throat over something like that.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11