Thread: Starship Combat Help

Question Starship Combat Help

Need some quick answers to my questions:

What is the scale of the hex on the starfield mapsheet? To clarify, if a starship move one hex how far has he move in metric linear measurement?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

1 hex = 10,000 km according to the Second Edition Ship Construction Manual.

Which means that the planet and moon counters are not to scale with the playing area - they're about double scale.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."
    "Though a cloaking device, pulsed phaser cannons
    and a full load of quantum torpedoes would be quite nice too."

At .25c sublight speed, how many hexes would a ship move, assume a turn is 10 seconds long?

How many Danube-class shuttles or fighters can occupy a hex if they want to form a wing?

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

A light second is 295,000km - call it an even 300,000km, or 30 hexes. At .25c a ship would move 75,000km, or 7.5 hexes, per second. In 10 seconds, a ship would move 2.5 light seconds = 750,000km = 75 hexes. All assuming a 10,000km hex, of course.

Question

Do most ship-vs-ship combats in Star Trek -- discounting pursuits -- take place at the highest sublight speed? Is that logical or plausible?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Do most ship-vs-ship combats in Star Trek -- discounting pursuits -- take place at the highest sublight speed? Is that logical or plausible?
    My understanding is that ships engaged in combat (at warp speeds) are travelling at the same warp and the tactical moves during combat are minimal compared to their overall speeds. That's the FASA ruling, anyway (if my memory isn't shot). The shows tend to be a little more flexible about ship combat. In 'Journey to Babel', the Orion pirate ship was attacking the ENT at w10 while the ENT was sluggin' along on impulse. It's all in the drama, baby!

Question

But if you're re-enacting standing battles shown in DS9, like the seige of the space station (the goal is to take control of that region of space remove and enemy threat) at what speed be most useful in such hostile engagements?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    But if you're re-enacting standing battles shown in DS9, like the seige of the space station (the goal is to take control of that region of space remove and enemy threat) at what speed be most useful in such hostile engagements?
    First, if you're planning to recreate something of that magnitude, I'd set aside a considerable amount of time-- on the scale of days if not weeks! Second, I think sublight would be your best bet. If you do something like that, drop me line, I'd like to know how it went!