Thread: Spelljammer

Spelljammer

*POUND* *HAMMER* *BANG*

There, got the bugs worked out. Yes, it's me. The guy who folds, spindles and mutilates one system to make it compatible with another simply because I like the source material.

VIOLA!!!

Spelljammer Helm

SU Cost: 2 x Size + 5 for a basic helm; 3 x Size +10 for an advanced helm.

Power Cost: 1 for every .2 warp, + 1 point of stun damage to the pilot per hour for a basic helm; 1 for every .3 warp, +1 point of stun damage to the pilot per hour for an advanced helm.

This alternate mode of superluminal travel was first developed by the (fill in the name of your uberpsionic race). It consists primarily of a helm called, ironically enough, a helm. The pilot sits in this seat and immediately becomes one with the ship (see Neurogenic Interface). Also, the helm acts as a warp engine/nacelle.

Basic helms grant a maximum warp speed of (PSI + Focus)/2 + System Operation (helm)/10. Pushing this maximum speed takes 3 power and 2 points of lethal damage per hour for each additional +.1 warp up to a maximum of warp 6 or PSI+Focus, whivhever is lower.

Advanced helms grant a maximum warp speed of PSI + Focus + System Operation (helm)/2. Pushing this takes an addition 3 power and 2 points of lethal damage per hour for each additional +.2 warp up to a maximum of warp 9.99 or twice PSI+Focus, whichever is lower.

"But wait," you say. "How does one power such a device since warp drive is powered by the warp engines?"

"Simple," I reply. "Today, we offer for the low low price, our very own, PSI crystals."

PSI Crystals (unless someone can think of a better name.)

SU Cost: 3 x Size

Power Cost: .1 per psionic on board.

The crystals aren't grouped in a single location, rather they form a lattice work throughout the hull. Anyone within the ship who has any level of psionic potential, aids in producing power.

Very simply, the crystals convert latent psionic potential into energy. The crystal produces power by taking one tenth the total psionic potential + focus scores on board the vessel. Some particularly weak individuals will grant a net bonus of nothing as they produce as much as the crystals require to perform the siphoning.

Any non PSI on board must make a standard difficulty test against Resistance (I know it's a specialty, but I don't remember which skill), or fall unconscious until removed from the ship. If successful, all other rolls (except to resist this effect) is at +2 difficulty.

These are submitted for your perusal and open to some light criticism. I am currently at work and just thought this up on the fly (but it took me an hour and 15 minutes to write between calls).

Talking kewl

I love it. It is perfect for that derelict ship of strange alien design that the PCs must examine. It gives so much potential for mystery and suspense. This is perfect for my next season ender. Thank you for the work, you have done well, and many Bothans will die to bring this to fruition....or so i hope.
    Like anyone is actually reading this.

I love running spell jammer for a few years . I hope to run a Trek game one day soon . I am going borrowing a race from the spell jammer setting to my trek game . This would be a great system to add to their ships.

Congrats on a job well done, mr. Zeldis. I like it.
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Wow!

Did I miss something when I wrote those rules for the helm? I mean really. Let's take a truly psionically gifted race. Psi of 6 with a focus of +2. Let's say a really good pilot with a Helm skill of 6 is sitting in the chair. Even with the best helm, that's only warp 7. With the worst helm it's 1. What the HECK was I thinking?

Note to self: Don't ever do this again.

*commences to tweak them again*
    Last edited by Trinity Zeldis; 02-22-2005 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Bad Math

Okay, I think I understand what I was doing now.

Clarifications....

In the above example, the worst helm would give a 4.6 maximum warp.

(Psi 6 + Focus 2)/2 = 4
    Helm skill 6 /10 =.6
    4+.6 = 4.6

Yeah, that's what I meant. Maybe next time I shouldn't be reading this old stuff after I've been coding for 4 hours and only had 5 hours of sleep.