Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Since Decipher is enjoying snowing us

Since Decipher is enjoying snowing us

Why don't we talk about making fan publications of all of the books that Decipher promised us? Obviously, we'd call them something different, but I think CODA is a good-enough system to continue supporting, even if it's now entirely in the hands of the fans.

Discuss!
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

You should check out the fanmade webzine, Beyond the Final Frontier, for some great supplemental CODA Star Trek material.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coda_webzine

I'm already a subscriber.

Actually if there was to be big push for new fan-CODA material, I'd rather it was in BTFF. Why?

I think we've all seen many fan projects fail over the years. Putting out a whole book is a pretty big thing (I'm still amazed at the ESO, and some of the ICON netbooks are impressive as well). In a magazine format, you can just put up discrete chunks which are easier to complete. Plus other fans can see the pieces, and become inspired to help, or even to start a new project altogether. Feedback is a good thing, and can lead to improvements in later installments.

BTFF can also serve as a barometer of interest in a given topic. If your article on Pakled cuisine goes over well, maybe folks actually want to know more about that "socially challenged" species, or maybe Cardassian cuisine.

As for specific Decipher projects, let's tace the Mystics idea. In one issue, you could print a couple elite professions. In the next, skills, traits, and professional abilities. In the next maybe some more elite professions (after receiving feedback on the first article).

As for Worlds - a single world per issue, and you could evolve the format over time, again based on feedback.

Nebooks could later be compiled from material in various issues (modified per input if necessary), plus new (never before seen!) material.

Just my .02
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Thanks for the confidence guys It truly would be easier to compile netbooks out of the issues of BtFF as then everyone could contribute that wanted to and it would take the pressure off someone who was trying to do it all themselves. Besides David Pipgras' layout and illustrations are outstanding

Matt aka GOB
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfOfBorg
    ...Besides David Pipgras' layout and illustrations are outstanding
    You got that right
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

I'll admit it would be nice to jump back into doing my TNG book... still preferring to wait to see what Decipher does at this point though...
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Why? They've flat-out lied to us, saying that they'll continue publishing books, but at the same time emailing eople and saying they're flat-out not doing the Worlds book. I think it's time that maybe we stopped waiting. It's been, what, two years, almost?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417
    I'll admit it would be nice to jump back into doing my TNG book... still preferring to wait to see what Decipher does at this point though...
    I'd anticipate them doing nothing. Get on with your gaming life and produce that material for the waiting fans who'll likely be happy to see it come from another fan.

Actually from what I've heard, the only line that has been confirmed with an actual schedule is LOTR. The Star Trek line is/was still in limbo due to the renegotiations with Paramount.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

So I guess the consensus is, "Mac, get back to writing the bloody TNG book?"
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417
    So I guess the consensus is, "Mac, get back to writing the bloody TNG book?"
    Yes, yes it is
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Mmm. Shell company to copyright the fan-created material. Call it "InDecipherAble."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Hello, everyone, I've been lurking for some time now and share the same frustrations as many here. I've been digging through what I can find on this topic and all I seem to find is a dead end and some empty promises on Decipher's side.

I must say that the fans certainly make for better material and I am always on the look-out for new ideas! Please, keep us updated if anyone comes across anything worth-while!

Welcome to the boards Kelinda!

There are certainly allot of things which will never see the light of day even IF Decipher decide to go into production. What the game is crying out for is polished non canon works, and general gloss for the game.. the ESO is a fantastic example of this, and more is needed. While there are several 'plot' threads, perhaps some fan 'campaigns' could do with being published, including characters, plot hooks, locations, which can be riun as stand alones or as part of a full long campaign, with as much depth as DS9 (ok maybe that's getting carried away).

Sometimes as a GM I find it hard coming up with a good story ark because every story I have to craft has to be filled with people, places, motivations, drives and personalioties.. and NAMES - Names are a killer - having source books with these things for use in a campaign world setting would be a great tool.

Even a 'Worlds' book would give very little other than very generic information that a tricorder scan and a quick check of the 'galactic encyclopaedia' - what we need as narators is detailed locations.. city centres, bustling starports, and a number of 'characters' for the players to interact with... Because I don't know about you but my players never go where they should and always take the most circuitous route, via every other landmark, to where they are supposed to go
    Ta Muchly