Thread: Boarding Actions

Boarding Actions

Has anyone established a system for taking over another ship via boarding parties? There's one system from the STCS Web/Yahoo group <a tip of the hat to Bryan> but it's a little too detailed for my needs. I'd appreciate any feedback/ideas.

Joe

If you want really fast:
    Your player should roll vs. the other ship security officer's 'small unit tactics'. There should be mods based on each ships current casuality total, over all size of each unit, and readieness - suprise should count for something.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Frankly, I would never use the ship-based combat rules for a boarding action- that's a role-playing situation and should be played out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    If you want really fast:
    Your player should roll vs. the other ship security officer's 'small unit tactics'. There should be mods based on each ships current casuality total, over all size of each unit, and readieness - suprise should count for something.
    Hmm...and maybe mods for type of unit and race. Interesting.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    Frankly, I would never use the ship-based combat rules for a boarding action- that's a role-playing situation and should be played out.

I agree and disagree. If all the PC's are involved and the boarding is intergal to the adventure then, sure we'll play it out. I wouldn't wanna role play an npc ship boarding an npc ship, or spend the bulk of a session doing a boarding action on a ship when there are other ships with mean intentions still around. And then there's one situation I'd really like to avoid: A Klingon commander PC that has 200 semi-frozen marines and wants to give them a little hand to hand combat practice. And someday I think it would be kind of cool to do a raid on a base with an assault ship--2400 marines! I just wouldn't wanna do it one npc at a time...

In Decision at Midnight, there is a cross-reference chart for dealing with mutiny parties. There are modifiers for number of energy weapons, etc. My scanner isn't working right now, so I can't really show what I'm talking about. Whenever I'm GMing a boarding action involving more than just the PCs, then the PCs are roleplayed and the others are cross-referenced on that chart. Especially when I'm GMing them into an Age of Sail type boarding action.

In Decision at Midnight, there is a cross-reference chart for dealing with mutiny parties. There are modifiers for number of energy weapons, etc. My scanner isn't working right now, so I can't really show what I'm talking about. Whenever I'm GMing a boarding action involving more than just the PCs, then the PCs are roleplayed and the others are cross-referenced on that chart. Especially when I'm GMing them into an Age of Sail type boarding action.
    I have that module, I think. I gotta dig through the closet and see. Thanks!

Well, after a couple years, I finally got around to making a system for boarding actions! I got tired of my security chief sitting around doin nuthin' during starship combats!

Comments, questions, and feedback always welcome!

I've attached it, but it's also available here:

http://www.geocities.com/ufc465537/r...ngactions.html
    Attached Files Attached Files