Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan Eyes Manned Base. . .

Japan Eyes Manned Base. . .

on Moon.

Cool.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Hmmm....Japan vs. China seems to be shaping up as the next space race...
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

'least someone's thiking about doing it...

If the Japanese can send a rocket in space, that means they could send a nuke anywhere on Earth. I've heard rumours of them being able to put together a warhead in 48 hours notice. Have they become a "stealth" nuclear power?

As for the Chinese I've been told (don't know if it is true) that their space program would become the largest and most important in the next 20-30 years.

What are the Europeans up to these days?
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Snake, your first paragraph sounds dangerously close to a political issue, and to my knowledge have I not yet changed that policy.

As the last question could be both related to that paragraph, or the thread at large, I will assume that it relates to space.

The European space program are to my knowledge mostly centered around sending satelites into orbit for the private sector and doing enviromental research.

Well despite the paranoia I think this exciting news! It's just one more way to embarrass America into making an effective space programme again! If they think they've got a few years I imagine the competition between China and Japan will escalate and it could well leave them behind!

Capability and intention are two seperate things. Britain has huge stockpiles of Neuclear waste, which we process into useable material AND store undreground. if we wanted too we, I am sure could poison half the planet with radiation sickness.. we just don't want too really!

Anyway yes, lets stay away from political crap. This is an exciting time for science and discovery.. lets not ruin it!
    Ta Muchly

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Britain has huge stockpiles of Neuclear waste, which we process into useable material...
    Umm, define "usable material," converted from nuclear waste?

While a moon base is nice, I'd rather have a Gundam Defense Force.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quickly googled, but not a definative source

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/647981.stm

Britain has one of only 2 (or 3 if Japan built theirs now?) nuclear reprocessing plants in the world. They take spent Uranium, remove the impurities and spent material and create new fuel rods. Quite if this material is of any kind of 'weapons grade' I have no idea without researching, however ANY radioactive material could be used to make a dirty bomb... aka the indirect net result of Chernobyl!

as for Gundam's - I say both! increasing their rocket technology will only make flying gundam's better
    Ta Muchly

Well...with the STS program on the skids, we've gone back to using one shot rockets. I don't remember the last time I've hear of a shuttle launch
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Now wouldn’t it be fun if they had a little tourist area so those guys trying to get the private spaceflights going would have a destination to take you too!

What excites me most about the possibility of a permanent lunar base is the potential for a lunar observatories. I had read somewhere that they would be much cheaper to operate than space telescopes, but have all their advantages.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    Well...with the STS program on the skids, we've gone back to using one shot rockets. I don't remember the last time I've hear of a shuttle launch
    I think it's due in May or June or so.

Maybe this new space race between China and Japan will give the US a swift kick up the rear to update their space program to the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    Maybe this new space race between China and Japan will give the US a swift kick up the rear to update their space program to the 21st century.
    That'd be nice.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaru
    That'd be nice.
    Kewl. Raise my taxes, and shut down some social programs to fund the space program.

[image placeholder: devil smiley]

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Fund the space program enough, and you won't need the social programs.

It's like I've said before. There are only three programs needed to create paradise. Right now we have the technology for two of them.

Replicators, at least the kind that will assemble bulk molecular material into finished product, still need work.

And with the orbital power stations to run them and asteroid mining to provide the bulk material, we'll be set.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Fund the space program enough, and you won't need the social programs.
    Of course, we can relocate the welfare-dependents and the homeless on the moon. They will no longer be our problem.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan