Thread: CODA Books - Total Numbers?

Question CODA Books - Total Numbers?

Lord Irish Hath Decreed:

We're curious to ask, given the fact that there are a lot more threads on the CODA boards as opposed to the ICON boards: didn't the total number of ICON books grossly outnumber the CODA books? And over a shorter period of time?

The reason We're asking is becauase, as luck would have it, We tend to fall in love with games and systems that don't live all that long. In most cases, We're able to find an online community of similarly passionate fans of the dead system/system who keep it alive through non-cannon works (which, in Our opinion, is what roleplaying games are really about anyhow).

Nevertheless, it seems to Us that all it takes is for a single license transfer (a business as opposed to gaming decision) and 9 times out of 10, the bulk of a game's followers immediately jump-shipping, shelling out big bucks for new books and bitching the entire time about it.

As CODA appears headed for that great interstellar nebula where LUGTrek and FASATrek went before it, We're wondering if this board is going to see a totally new topic centered around a new game mechanic (that will probably be dead in 2-3 years unless it is d20), or will TrekRPGNet Forums become a last bastion of hope for those of us who love ICON and/or CODA (like AlternityRPG.net is for the Alternity game system and Star-Drive/Dark Matter/Gamma World/StarCraft settings)?

Just curious.
    --------------------------------
    HIS SOVEREIGN MAJESTY LORD IRISH
    lord_irish@hotmail.com

"It's good to be the King!"

I imagine this board and many of its members will support a new Trek game, whatever the system or company, keeping this site the premier Trek RPG site, regardless of system.

CODA Trek has 6 books and a Narrator's screen.

IIRC, LUG Trek had 3 core books (TOS, TNG, and DS9); a Narrator's Guide for each core book; a Vulcan book (Way of the Kolinahr or something); a Romulan boxed set; a Starfleet Academy boxed set; and 5 or 6 other books I'm sure I'm forgetting.

So, yeah, LUG Trek is currently the better-supported of the two. Unfortunately, most of the supplements Coda Trek had in the works or almost finished would have bumped Coda to the better supported category. Shame we probably will never see that stuff.

I am not sure about the number of Coda or Icon books, but the likely hood of more Icon corebooks out there is pretty good. There were 3 series corebooks for Icon thus there may have been some who got all to be completists or their players wanted to play in a different era/style than the initial corebook they had. Some may not have wanted to shell out for a new system given that they consider the systems to be good enough, have not got use out of the current system or in a wait and see mode.

About the number of Coda threads: Threads eventually are dropped off of the forum after a few years, since Icon was the system this site & forum was founded on the Icon forum has older threads. There was some problem with the character creation instructions being confusing. Of course, more people finding their way onto the internet and finding the site.

At this time, the Coda System has gotten a reprieve from Decipher as they have announced they will be printing the books that were in the pipeline at the time of the closing of the Decipher's RPG studio. So, Coda is not out of print yet. (Not dead as you indicate people still play out of print games.) Decipher has pick up the license for another 5 years primarily as it was bundled with the TCG license.

License Transfer: People probably jump ship because they like the greatest and latest (or the presumption of such) and dislike being left behind. There is a difficult in finding some to play older systems like D&D (Original or Basic/Expert), since you just can not go the local RPG store and find the rulebooks. EBay helps but is infrequent in supply of the books.

Trek-rpg.net will probably have a new forum if there is a new system in another five years. This site's mission is to support all systems for Stark Trek even a little known system that predates FASA's system and the Prime Directive offshoots (original, GURP 3rd ed., GURP 4th ed.). Also it will support other systems homebrewed to handle Star Trek like Alternity, d20 Modern/Future, Tri-Stat dX, etc. or completely homebrewed. And there is a link in our directory to Alternity rules for Star Trek.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Synchronized Posting.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Irish
    Lord Irish Hath Decreed:

We're curious to ask, given the fact that there are a lot more threads on the CODA boards as opposed to the ICON boards: didn't the total number of ICON books grossly outnumber the CODA books? And over a shorter period of time?

The reason We're asking is becauase, as luck would have it, We tend to fall in love with games and systems that don't live all that long. In most cases, We're able to find an online community of similarly passionate fans of the dead system/system who keep it alive through non-cannon works (which, in Our opinion, is what roleplaying games are really about anyhow).

Nevertheless, it seems to Us that all it takes is for a single license transfer (a business as opposed to gaming decision) and 9 times out of 10, the bulk of a game's followers immediately jump-shipping, shelling out big bucks for new books and bitching the entire time about it.

As CODA appears headed for that great interstellar nebula where LUGTrek and FASATrek went before it, We're wondering if this board is going to see a totally new topic centered around a new game mechanic (that will probably be dead in 2-3 years unless it is d20), or will TrekRPGNet Forums become a last bastion of hope for those of us who love ICON and/or CODA (like AlternityRPG.net is for the Alternity game system and Star-Drive/Dark Matter/Gamma World/StarCraft settings)?

Just curious.
    I agree on the idea that Trek can not hold a system. When I lost LUG I wept when CODA came out I was reluctant because how short and nerve racking the LUG situation went. Then it got worse. Now I am debating on what will happen next. If another Trek game series comes out will I support it? Will I be reluctant like my friends where over CODA?
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

LUG had like 4 times the books and suppliments CODA has I had most of them.

TOS core book
    TOS narrator's screen
    TNG Core book
    TNG Narrator's screen
    DS9 core book
    DS9 Narrator's screen
    Andorian book
    Vulcans the way of Kolinahr
    Starfleet Intelligence
    Raiders,Renegades and Rogues
    Time Travel book (all our yesterdays)
    TNG players guide
    Planets of the UFP
    Romulan box set
    Starfleet academy box set
    Romulan adventure: A fragile Peace
    Planetary adventures
    The hardcover book of the Federation (name escapes me at the moment)

That's 18 so far and I think I'm missing a few.

That also doesn't include the online stuff that was simply fantastic.

LUG stuff was far more detailed and described stuff far better. IMO it was the superior information stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    LUG had like 4 times the books and suppliments CODA has I had most of them.

-snip-

The hardcover book of the Federation (name escapes me at the moment)

It was called "The Price of Freedom, The United Federation of Planets Sourcebook"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Irish
    Lord Irish Hath Decreed:

Well, for me, I own all the ICON books and most of the CODA books, and a goodly number of FASA books, and I use material and ideas from all of them in my storytelling.

I "jump ship" out of some insane optimistic belief that this time, some clever guy will find a way to get beyond a few core books, and expand the game into the areas I'm most interested in.

I never "bitched" about FASA, because it was long OOP before I first got my hands on it.

I don't recall "bitching" about LUG's work - aside from a few grumbles when the line was starting to crumble near the end, and wishing a horrible fate on the guys who robbed the LUG offices. LUG did more to put out the stuff I was hoping for than anyone before or since.

As for Dec... yeah, I'm really bitchy about that. Guilty as charged, but I feel it's for rampant good reasons (we have threads about that.)

As for the future... well, my game is on hiatus, and I'm not optimistic about it anymore. Then again, I'll be moving towards a larger town soon. So who knows?
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    I don't recall "bitching" about LUG's work - aside from a few grumbles when the line was starting to crumble near the end, and wishing a horrible fate on the guys who robbed the LUG offices.
    Rolo the thief!

Ahhh, memories!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Quote Originally Posted by Spence
    It was called "The Price of Freedom, The United Federation of Planets Sourcebook"

Thanks.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Rolo the thief!

Ahhh, memories!
    Yeah, watch it turn out to have been the LA Police Chief...he just couldn't wait to get his hands on that sucker. Have to get Bud, Jack and Edmund on the case ASAP...