Thread: The Location of the Simpson's Springfield

Talking The Location of the Simpson's Springfield

At the beginning of tonights, 06MAR05, episode from the Simpson's Living room they zoomed out to the cosmos and back to Homers head via atoms, DNA, etc. But that isn't the important thing.

One of the running gags is that they have never truly shown the state in which Springfield is located. However, during this zoom out they have given us one better. In the process of the zoom out they kept the camera centered on the Simpsons house, showing landmarks on the way out (including the great lakes and major inland waterways).

From what I can figure Springfield is located somewhere in the Midwest (IL, IN, OH) since the zoom out point appeared close to the meeting place of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. If one had TiVo or something and recorded it one can extrapulate the exact location do to the fact that one could, from a given zoom out point, extrapulate real distances, and from that triangulate the zoom outs exact location.

Now I would like to see that!

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Well, considering that Springfield, IL actually exists, my bets are on there.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Well, considering that Springfield, IL actually exists, my bets are on there.
    There's a Springfield in every one of the contiguous 48 states. There are actually two in Virginia. Springfield, Illinois is the largest, I believe, with Springfield, Missouri, being the second or third largest.
    Last edited by Ezri's Toy; 03-07-2005 at 01:38 AM.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Quote Originally Posted by Ezri's Toy
    There's a Springfield in every one of the contiguous 48 states. There are actually two in Virginia.
    Indeed there are. And there are at least TWO in Pennsylvania.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

If only we can get an acurate screen capture, we'd be able to figure its rough Longitude and Latitude.

Imagine the roadtrip possibilities!

You know they did this on purpose - they're counting on you to do this.

At any rate, whatever State you come up with had better have a capital named Capital City, and a town named Shelbyville right next to Sprinfgfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    You know they did this on purpose - they're counting on you to do this.

At any rate, whatever State you come up with had better have a capital named Capital City, and a town named Shelbyville right next to Sprinfgfield.
    Now that's going to be the tricky part. Capital City, doubt that one. However, Shelbyville may be manageable.

Just give me time and a good set of screen caps, and we'll see how it goes.

So who wants to get those screen caps for me.

Apprently there are 50 Springfields in the USA, but not every state has one.

That's just silly.

Addendum

http://springfield.ftldesign.com/

My lord that is creepy...

Creepy? You mean the fact that they all look like they could be the same town? Yeah...

Now that ist cool.

Thanks for the link AslanC.

Show of hands.. anyone else driven mad to distraction trying to find the Quik-E-mart and Moe's tavern!

It's fun but much like a StarTrek starchart, if not moreso, Springfiend is completelly unmappable. Locations move according to humour. Moe's Tavern is apparently downtown, but then one episode it was 100 yards down the street from the Simpsons house In the Stonecutters episode Homers parking space for his work was on the other side of the fence from his back yard and many other silly things like that make it pointless to do!
    Ta Muchly

Moe's is dead centre of Downtown. The Kwik-E-Mart is in the upper left corner of East Springfield. This is cool...

Hmm so Moe's isn't at the end of Homers street then Thanks Owen!
    Ta Muchly