Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise May Actually Get Spiked!

Exclamation Enterprise May Actually Get Spiked!

Space Cadet Posted this in a thread he started from a rumor he saw on www.scifiuniverse.net. As I said be cautious with this as www.scifiuniverse.net has been known to mostly well not be the most accurate place to get information. His thread post is below:

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?t=11422

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    http://www.scifiuniverse.net/news/2005/02/13_01.html
    Article posted on Sunday February 13th, 2005 by Michael at 4.18 pm EST / 1.18 pm PST.

According to several rumors on the web, Spike TV plans to pick up the recently cancelled
    Star Trek: Enterprise.

According to the rumors, Spike TV wants to produce a new season with a low budget and only 13 episodes a season. Cast contracts and Paramount's willingness would be the biggest problem.

Spike TV currently airs Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Please note that all information above is not yet confirmed by any source and
    should be treated as a rumor!
    Well, it turns out his sources was right. Since I found out this information first I thought I would post it.

Well, it turns out it is true as Sci Fi Channel just posted this from the Boston Herald:

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30540
    Enterprise To Get Spiked?

The Boston Herald reported that cable network Spike TV may be mulling whether to pick up UPN's canceled Star Trek: Enterprise. "It would definitely be something we would look at, and we know how devoted the show's fans are," Spike TV spokeswoman Debra Fazio told the newspaper.

UPN has said the current fourth season will be Enterprise's last, with the series finale set to air in May. Production on the final episode was expected to wrap this month. A UPN spokesperson told the Herald that the network's decision to cancel Enterprise is final, and no other network has come forward with an offer to pick the show up.

But fans have been vocal about lobbying for someone to pick the show up for a fifth season, and have even raised funds to pay for it themselves, claiming more than $3 million in pledges toward an estimated $36 million goal.

Spike TV already holds the rights to reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
    Enterprise Fans have fun. I made a new thread so you guys can see the new information.

As many of you know I am not a Pro Enterprise fan to post this.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Okay, who are you and what have you done with T'Lara?

Thanks for the info.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Spike Trek...I think I'm going to be sick...
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Errm ... care to enlighten the non American members of the forum? What is Spike TV? And what's wrong with them picking up Enterprise? Surely, this is better than nothing at all (well, that from a Enterprise fan PoV, of course if you were fanatic enough to want to see Enterprise dead, that would qualify as some bad news).

Just trying to guess there ... SpikeTV could be ... a TV channel dedicated to all episodes of Buffy and Angel where Spike appears ... those and only those ... end to end on loop mode. Spike on Enterprise ... now that's something I wish the image had never formed in my brain !
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Intreaguing. However the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Much like Decipher news I will definatelly believe this only when i see it!
    Ta Muchly

Calcoran, James Marsters DID make an appearance on Andromeda

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Okay, who are you and what have you done with T'Lara?

Thanks for the info.
    I have posted positive things before and well... some people think it is an attack and ignore what was said because it was me not what I posted. Sad really ticks me off.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Quote Originally Posted by Calcoran
    Errm ... care to enlighten the non American members of the forum? What is Spike TV? And what's wrong with them picking up Enterprise? Surely, this is better than nothing at all (well, that from a Enterprise fan PoV, of course if you were fanatic enough to want to see Enterprise dead, that would qualify as some bad news).

Just trying to guess there ... SpikeTV could be ... a TV channel dedicated to all episodes of Buffy and Angel where Spike appears ... those and only those ... end to end on loop mode. Spike on Enterprise ... now that's something I wish the image had never formed in my brain !
    Spike TV is a cheesy cable tv station that says it is the channel for men. They show alot of repeats as well as WWE RAW and Ultimate Fighter and Slamball (A new sport here in the US) as some of the original programming. They like to do action but most of the shows that are popular they have They also like to show lots of Swimsuit specials and such. Women in tight outfits, etc. i.e. why they would want Enterprise. Let's say if you are a Sci Fi fan, you have to wonder why the Sci Fi Channel was not the ones trying to get it. If Spike TV gets it expect lower quality of show and more tight skinned Lesbo-Trek!
    Hey my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    I have posted positive things before and well... some people think it is an attack and ignore what was said because it was me not what I posted. Sad really ticks me off.
    Well fair turnabout then, since you often do that too Preconceptions do, sadly affect how we view people, but then they were earned. You certainly can't call the *ism card, the only *ism we have is probably Trollism, as you can't tell what colour / religion / political aphiliation or sexual orientation someone is by the colour of their post - well unless they rub it in your face, which is hard with the respective bans Most people, I have found, repsond in kind, certainly most people here are nice and polite MOST of the time

It's a tough call on Enterprise, whether or not it would be good under Spike TV.. While it might not have a massive buget, Spike isn't going to lobotomise it's own target audience, and I doubt paramount would damage it's premier product.. just because UPN doesn't want to show it because of re-imaged demographics (or other such nonsense) doesn't mean the shows producer would see it ruined, cheapened or run in to the ground. Much more can be done with FAR lower budgets these days, even cheap 'bluescreen' effects are far more believable than they were a few years ago, and that the 4th series was made with such a high quality irrespective of it having half the budget of the previous year shows that it CAN be done, so long as the writing doesn't suffer. If anything the writing might be the one thing that CAN help it survive on that buget, if they can't rely on flashy special effects. Spike may well be a 'blokes' channel - but nontheless DS9 and TNG were both cerebral shows, so if it thinks there's a market, THAT would be it's motivation, not to turn it into: Startrek: Space lesbian mud wrestling
    Ta Muchly

Relax, T'lara, ST was kidding. He did thank you for the info, after all...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Spike TV is a cheesy cable tv station that says it is the channel for men. They show alot of repeats as well as WWE RAW and Ultimate Fighter and Slamball (A new sport here in the US) as some of the original programming. They like to do action but most of the shows that are popular they have They also like to show lots of Swimsuit specials and such. Women in tight outfits, etc. i.e. why they would want Enterprise. Let's say if you are a Sci Fi fan, you have to wonder why the Sci Fi Channel was not the ones trying to get it. If Spike TV gets it expect lower quality of show and more tight skinned Lesbo-Trek!
    That last was completely uncalled for, and one of the reasons most of us tend to ignore you, even when you do bring good news.

As for why Spike might want to pick up Enterprise, another reason to consider is the fact that they already have an exclusive deal (at least I think it's an exclusive deal) to show ST:TNG and STS9 reruns. In fact, TNG was one of the network's first selling points. They've got a history with Trek that goes back to when they were still TNN. It seems a reasonable enough fit to me.

As for Sci-Fi not going after Enterprise...well, I can't tell you how happy this makes me. Sci-Fi has this terrible tendency to take shows and butcher them, or lie about supporting them and then cancelling them, or just plain cancelling a show that's bringing them good numbers and never explaining why. I'm so terribly surprised that they stuck with Stargate SG-1 as long as they have, considering how much of a batch of cheap, lying weasels they tend to be. But no, I'm not bitter....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Well guys seems Spike TV has just posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Sci Fi Channel
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30545
    A spokeswoman for Spike TV backed off comments that the cable network was considering picking up UPN's canceled Star Trek: Enterprise in an interview with SCI FI Wire. The Boston Herald had quoted Debra Fazio saying: "It would definitely be something we would look at, and we know how devoted the show's fans are."

But Fazio clarified her remarks on March 8. "The quote was misconstrued," she said in an interview. "We can't say yes or no until it's proposed to the network, and that hasn't happened yet." Fazio added: "That's not something that we're actively going out and pursuing."

UPN announced earlier that it is canceling the low-rated Enterprise at the end of the current fourth season. No other network has stepped forward to pick up the show, and executive producer Rick Berman previously said that he was not interested in shopping the series around.

Fans, meanwhile, have been actively campaigning to revive the series for a fifth season, going so far as to raise funds to finance such a fifth season themselves. They claim pledges of more than $3 million toward their goal of $36 million.
    As my last line said and if you understood the point being made the show would be worse and more lesbian sex. Something they have tried to do with ratings on the show. Spike TV does alot of those close to nude shows as specials. Obviously never watch the network over the Superbowl have we?
    Hey my opinion

Well, that's a relief, although Enterprise can still end up on a cable channel.

With that much money the fans have raised, they should air Enterprise on PBS.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

For those outside North America, Spike TV is a cable TV station. It was originally a Country Music station called TNN (The Nashville Network). A few years back, they decided to go for a more general market and became The National Network. They then decided to go for a more "edgy" audience and registered the name "Spike TV" - Spike Lee decided that somehow this infringed on his image and sued them - and lost.

Frankly, I don't see the problem - one of the first things Spike TV did when it became The National Network was to buy up syndication broadcast rights to all the Star Trek it could - which was TOS, TNG, and VGR (DS9 does not seem to be in syndication reruns now at all) - given that, Spike is less likely to screw around with Trek than UPN ever was. Spike plays a lot of action and SF shows. Frankly, I see it as a better fit than UPN ever was - UPN originally tried to go for an urban youth "hip-hop" demographic and never got out of that groove.

Spike TV

Owen is right except for TOS, Voyager and DS9. Show are in general syndication for about seven years or so then they can have exclusive syndication deal. TOS is exclusive syndicated by the SciFi Channel, which the SciFi/Paramount contract is up a year before Voyager is available for exclusive syndication deal. DS9 is on Spike TV exclusively.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting