Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise May Actually Get Spiked!

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    For the record, T'Lara, I was just kidding.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Seriously.... Spike carries more Trek than any network out there. I would be comfortable seeing them with the contract.

It's better than having it dead, anyway.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

It would be already dead to antenna broadcast viewers.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Yes, but even in that case it would eventually make its way into syndication or onto DVD.... if no episodes are being made, that possiblity dies as well.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

DVD... derivative games... derivative reference books... all that really matters.

Well I don't get Spike TV OR UPN and I manage to see it Ok so you're not going to see it first, but at least you CAN see it and the show continues.. which would you prefer?!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaru
    Seriously.... Spike carries more Trek than any network out there. I would be comfortable seeing them with the contract.

It's better than having it dead, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Well I don't get Spike TV OR UPN and I manage to see it Ok so you're not going to see it first, but at least you CAN see it and the show continues.. which would you prefer?!
    Ok, as not being an Enterprise fan this statement is kind of strange maybe you two since you posted something similiar can help me here. Yes, Spike TV does have Trek but what are they doing with it?

Good: Spike TV shows Star Trek: DS9 & TNG which each show is a two hour block which is good.

Bad: Spike TV shows Star Trek: DS9 & TNG early in the morning.
    Bad again: Spike TV is showing just syndicating both Star Trek: DS9 & TNG.

How does Spike TV they are a good idea for Enterprise? I mean anyone can run syndication of a show, but should they make a series or continue it?

After all this gripping this year that 4th season is the best season of Enterprise you, as a fan, are willing to sacrifice the quality of the show just to have it on? You would rather have it on in some lesser form than let the show not be on the air? Is that what both of you are saying or am I wrong reading these?

My thoughts are this:
    Spike TV just does not have the quality and/or funding to do something like Enterprise, which is probably why they are backing out now thankfully. In my opinion it would be best on either the Sci Fi Channel or USA Network both networks have the funding and background to continue do possibly good job for a show like Enterprise unlike Spike TV, but I think Spike TV should get the syndication rights for Enterprise.

I am curious about something: Star Trek: Voyager has yet to be in syndication? Or is it none of the networks where I live are syndicating it? The only UPN show I know is in syndication is on Spike TV the show 7 Days. I would think Star Trek: Voyager would be in syndication by now or is UPN holding it close just for DVD seasons thinking not showing Star Trek: Voyager and selling the DVDs would be a good move? Because if they do see it that way and why I am bring this up: If they are doing that to Star Trek: Voyager are they going to do that to Enterprise? I love my Star Trek: TOS, TNG and DS9 syndicated shows, but I wonder for the fans of Star Trek: Voyagerand/or Enterprise get their fix?

Just so you know I am not a Star Trek: Voyager fan at all.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Well that article was not as difinitive as it's title.. they refuse to commit either way, which means another few weeks/months of waiting for a final answer.

I think the point that people were making about Spike TV (how could you be bothered to bold it all those times!) is that despite the negative image it has recieved in light of these revalations (personally I had not heard of their existence before this rumour) they like trek and aren't likelly to spoil it. To be fair Spike would only be buying the show OFF Paramount, I.e. Paramount would be making it and Spike airing it, so if Paramount decided they didn't like Spikes budget or motives (I.e. they wanted Startrek: Space bimbo mud wrestling) then they could still say no. Spike would simply be the one's paying for it, but since they LIKE Trek and get lots of visitors to their network BECAUSE they have trek they aren't likelly to do that, nor could they get the deal.

So the net result of Spike Airing Enterprise would be.. they would SHOW it NOT make it themselves. The quality of the show would therefore be down to paramount!
    Ta Muchly

Well that article was not as difinitive as it's title.. they refuse to commit either way, which means another few weeks/months of waiting for a final answer.

I think the point that people were making about Spike TV (how could you be bothered to bold it all those times!) is that despite the negative image it has recieved in light of these revalations (personally I had not heard of their existence before this rumour) they like trek and aren't likelly to spoil it. To be fair Spike would only be buying the show OFF Paramount, I.e. Paramount would be making it and Spike airing it, so if Paramount decided they didn't like Spikes budget or motives (I.e. they wanted Startrek: Space bimbo mud wrestling) then they could still say no. Spike would simply be the one's paying for it, but since they LIKE Trek and get lots of visitors to their network BECAUSE they have trek they aren't likelly to do that, nor could they get the deal.

So the net result of Spike Airing Enterprise would be.. they would SHOW it NOT make it themselves. The quality of the show would therefore be down to paramount!
    The part where Paramount would soley budget and run the show with out interference is a little inaccurate... You are aware that if they, Paramount, do shop it to another network, that network as part of the deal helps with the cost production of the show, staff and etc... and with that that network because they are doing the budget, advertising, and getting the sponsership will also have the right to make decisions on the show because that will be in the contract. It was all on soley on Paramount's head, because they were UPN. When Sci Fi Channel took control of Stargate:SG1 from Showtime the studio that made it did not obsorb all the cost like their contract with Showtime, Sci Fi Channel had to pay for part of the production of the show, which has been rating and sponser good for them for awhile allowed them to get two new series off and purchase series making them original.

The article Space_Cadet posted (which is posted at the beginning of the forum quoted and URL mentioned) about this also said lower cost per episode. Now Enterprise costs $2 million to make per episode right now. Spike TV said lower budget and they as a network have a lower budget. It sucks but true. All networks have influance on the show on their network unless it is syndicaited. Look at the The Original Series and how much the network stepped in.

FYI: Sci Fi Channel has the The Original Series where all this fan base originally came from. Even if you joined later and not a fan of Star Trek: The Original Series it was the basis of every show after it. So do they must also like Star Trek too from your reasoning. Although Sci Fi Channel is doing all the good and bad things with Trek that Spike TV has. Would they not be the better choice?

Spike TV just now getting a bad reputation?! This was the network that founded itself on Stripperella and Baywatch reruns! They have always had a bad reputation. They want to be the FOX of cable.

Oh and adding in the bold simple. I type fast and well. I program.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

I understand where you are coming from but what I mean is that it is in Paramounts interest in controll in the show as I am fairly certain it doesn't want to give up on the properly completelly, it just wasn't all that happy with the way Enterprise was doing, or more correctly UPN wasn't.. yes Spike, if it makes the show, will have some creative controll BUT paramount has the ultimate controll because it can refuse to sell it to them if they don't like what Spike want to do with the show. A Deal cuts both ways and both parties have to be happy with it for it to work. Yes I agree SciFi would be a better choice BUT you have to take what you can get.. SciFi would have to offer to pay for the show!

I guess wether or not Spike TV having this show is a good or bad thing depends solely on the contract between it and Paramount.. I.e. If Paramount creates a clause which prevents Spike turning it into a T&A show, and if they keep some of the creative tallent over from the old days for the sake of continuity (precluding B&B of course - please god don't sign them into the deal!). Paramount is in the business of making money, but it also makes money on it's reputation, and it covets StarTrek as one of it's premier products, so I can't see them 'selling out' completelly. If Enterprise was made in that context, if the deal was struck in such a way that paramount hasn't sold it's soul, then it shouldn't matter who owns it, especially if the new owner is keen to pursue the high quality writing of season 4 (opinions of that notwithstanding, since I haven't seen it yet!) or even back up to TNG and DS9 standards
    Ta Muchly

I understand where you are coming from but what I mean is that it is in Paramounts interest in controll in the show as I am fairly certain it doesn't want to give up on the properly completelly, it just wasn't all that happy with the way Enterprise was doing, or more correctly UPN wasn't.. yes Spike, if it makes the show, will have some creative controll BUT paramount has the ultimate controll because it can refuse to sell it to them if they don't like what Spike want to do with the show. A Deal cuts both ways and both parties have to be happy with it for it to work. Yes I agree SciFi would be a better choice BUT you have to take what you can get.. SciFi would have to offer to pay for the show!

I guess wether or not Spike TV having this show is a good or bad thing depends solely on the contract between it and Paramount.. I.e. If Paramount creates a clause which prevents Spike turning it into a T&A show, and if they keep some of the creative tallent over from the old days for the sake of continuity (precluding B&B of course - please god don't sign them into the deal!). Paramount is in the business of making money, but it also makes money on it's reputation, and it covets StarTrek as one of it's premier products, so I can't see them 'selling out' completelly. If Enterprise was made in that context, if the deal was struck in such a way that paramount hasn't sold it's soul, then it shouldn't matter who owns it, especially if the new owner is keen to pursue the high quality writing of season 4 (opinions of that notwithstanding, since I haven't seen it yet!) or even back up to TNG and DS9 standards
    Networks cancel shows not studios. Studios will keep making a show until the network cancells it or no longer profitable. UPN cancelled Enterprise not the studio, but both are owned by the same company. You honestly think Spike TV or any network would allow Paramount to run the show as is? That they who pay the studio to make the show would just throw money down? Where is Spike TV or any network get the $$$ from their sponsers. The sponsers will pressure Spike TV to do something if they do not like the direction of the show. Networks do not get their big bucks from the shows but the sponsers they can lure in to get people to watch and sell the products. Entertainment is second. Money is number 1. If [b]Enterprise[b] is not going to look profitable with the money the network will spend to make money that show is not profitable. UPN was the sole network and studio which is rare for a show as much as Enterprise was the number 1 show of UPN it still was in the lower 70's in the ratings. Sponsers were leaving the show.

As for T&A on Enterprise it has been established they have been: how much or how less is debatable, but it has been in there. Spike TV with it's track of their T&A record would most likely add in more.
    Fact of show life what happens to every show out there wish it was not but it is true.

That is all I am going to say about this: no more and no less this will just get into something nasty and I try to avoid it.
    Hey my opinion

For the record, I believe SpikeTV is another arm of Viacom, as Paramount is.

And I don't think a decrease in dollar amount necessarily creates a decrease in quality. I would still watch the show if they went back to 60's special effects and maintained the same level of writing that they seem to have achieved in season four.

As for when it's on... I don't care, I have a TiVo and will record it whenever it airs
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaru
    For the record, I believe SpikeTV is another arm of Viacom, as Paramount is.

And I don't think a decrease in dollar amount necessarily creates a decrease in quality. I would still watch the show if they went back to 60's special effects and maintained the same level of writing that they seem to have achieved in season four.

As for when it's on... I don't care, I have a TiVo and will record it whenever it airs
    Actually, Time/Warner created and owns Spike TV, as stated earlier it was once TNN, the people who own WB Network.
    Hey my opinion

Ultimate Fighter is a kick ass reality show

From what i heard, the ratings for TNG is pretty good considering its reruns but supposdely DS9 is not doing well as expected. So maybe they can package Enterprise around the other Star Trek shows and boost up ratings, perhaps.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    Actually, Time/Warner created and owns Spike TV, as stated earlier it was once TNN, the people who own WB Network.
    No, Rayaru is right. You might be confusing TNT (Turner Network TV, owned by Turner Broadcasting System, a Time Warner Company) with TNN, which original was The Nashville Network, which was independent outfit (may have been owned by the Grand Old Opera or some other Nashville organization or figure). It was renamed a few months after purchase by Viacom via its subsidary MTV Network to The National Network.

From SpikeTV.com:
    © 2005 Viacom International
    and from Viacom.com:MTV NETWORKS TO RE-BRAND TNN AS TNN: THE NATIONAL NETWORK
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting