Thread: Discuss & Debate

Discuss & Debate

Ahem... Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking, I will keep this brief. My I say it is an honor to post the first thread in this new forum.

True or false: Peter Jackson's movie version of LotR is a better story than Tolkien's book version.

Please keep your replies polite and civilised. The good professor (and the good director) would want it that way.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

False. I believe the stories presented in the films and in the books are equal. The difference is in the presentation.

There are elements of the story that work better in the books; and there are elements that work better in the films.

One example I'll throw out there is the departure of Boromir. Very effective moment in the film; not so much so in the book.

Can I have some syrup for my waffle?

Having only watched FotR and never read the original novels, I would say the novels are better. But really I just like the reference books, like the languages book and the atlas(es). And the board games (Risk and Stratego).

-Amon Aran

My response is "True" (the film versions are a better-presented story than the books), for the following reasons:

1) The story moves forward at a better pace. While Tolkien's novel is beautifully written, I have to admit to almost shouting "Get on with it!" quite often during reading them!

2) The elimination of the Tom Bombadil sub-plot. Whilst I would have liked to have seen something to do with the Barrow Wights, I tend to skip over the Tom Bombadil section whilst reading. I find it an irrelevant addition that distracts from the story.

3) Arwen replacing Glorfindel was a stroke of genius. It increases her (in the book, extremely limited, despite her importance) role, and removes another character who came to the rescue then disappeared, never to be seen again.

4) Boromir's death in the novel was extremely ho-hum. In the film, it still moves me to tears.

5) The war in Rohan is complicated in the novel, with people riding all over the place, battles occurring everywhere and confusion as to who is doing what and wen. In the film, it is straightforward (and bringing the women and children into the safety of the most powerful fortress makes more sense than leaving them hanging!)

6) The involvement of Haldir and the Elves at Helm's Deep was brilliant. It was a big emotional payoff, and it firmly cemented, without any doubt, that the Last Alliance was being remade to fight Sauron.

7) Saruman's death...I'll get to that

8) It felt more satisfying having just Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli going thru the Paths of the Dead, rather than the three of them, Elrohir, Elladan, a pile of Rangers and their wives and children (okay...their wives and children didn't go, but it almost felt like it! )

9) The Army of the Dead being used at Pelennor Field made more sense than just capturing the Corsair ships. In the book, there is, what, a thousand militiamen and peasants with Aragorn. I always found my suspension of disbelief stretched that 6000 of the finest cavalry in the world couldn't turn the tide of battle, but 1000 peasants and a few Rangers could.

10) Killing the Mouth of Sauron was such a good payoff!

11) Removal of the Scouring of the Shire and placing Saruman's death at Isengard intead. I understand why Tolkien put the Scouring in there, but it alway felt like such an anti-climax to me, and I much prefer the "Jacksonian" view that the Shire remained unharmed.

It's interesting you brought this one up, Sarge. I've just stopped reading FotR halfway through (for about the seventh or eighth time) because I got bored with it. Seriously. I'm in the midst of a crisis of literary faith at present, because I've realised that, really, Tolkien was a terrific linguist and historian, but not a particularly good novelist. In many ways, he's like George Lucas - a sensational ideas man, with incredible imagination, but who should be kept away from a keyboard at all costs!

Seriously, whilst I will always love the LotR novels for their imagination, their scope and their incredible depth, I don't think I'll read them again. I don't want to be left with a sour taste in my mouth!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron
    2) The elimination of the Tom Bombadil sub-plot. Whilst I would have liked to have seen something to do with the Barrow Wights, I tend to skip over the Tom Bombadil section whilst reading. I find it an irrelevant addition that distracts from the story.
    There were two points I really didn't like about the movie: The one was the elimination of Tom Bombadil. I think that his character was one of the most interesting and creative designed I've ever seen.

The other thing I didn't liked was the elimination of the poem that started the LotR off in the first place. I'd like to have seen that in the movie.

Very much pleased me the inclusion of Haldir and the Elves at Helm's Deep.