Thread: Firefly, anyone?

Firefly, anyone?

In the spirit of cross polenating SF fandom, who here has heard of Firefly? Is anyone familiar with it?
    I don't care if you're a scientist or the captain of a garbage scow assigned to Ruh'ra Pente- you don't wait until your shields are mostly gone to start shooting back. If your enemy has already started hurling subatomic death at you, descression has ceased to be the better part of valor!

I believe I have heard of Firefly once upon a time. Why?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Yep, there's a whole passel o' Firefly folk 'round these parts.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Yep there are, I am a big fan myself and most of my friends are the raving fan types.. we don't all like the same things but almost everyone likes Firefly !
    Ta Muchly

Just stirring up conversation, I guess... on another note, Serenity, the movie based on Firefly, is due out later this year...

Any conjecture on what you'd like to see in it?
    I don't care if you're a scientist or the captain of a garbage scow assigned to Ruh'ra Pente- you don't wait until your shields are mostly gone to start shooting back. If your enemy has already started hurling subatomic death at you, descression has ceased to be the better part of valor!

Well Joss Whedon has said that the movie will focus on the Reavers. I just hope all the cast return and that there isn't anyone missing inexplicably. Otherwise I expect the movie to be every bit as good and solid as the TV series. Pity the series died so soon -- it held great promise and was probably the best sci-fi show on TV at the time.

Well it appears all the cast did return for the film.. it's a huge chance for all of them to get regular paid work!

The Reavers are definatelly cool, but I'd like to see more on those blue hand guys, their weapons have got to be the coolest thing ever!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Yep, there's a whole passel o' Firefly folk 'round these parts.
    Yeah...a show that had a lot of potential. Great characters and dialogue.

But I liked it, and said so in front of the TV...that means the little transceiver that sends messages to the suits in Hollywood picked it up. "HE likes it? Kill that mutha!"

Sadly I would agree, but they didn't even air it here till after it got cancelled (I think) and I didn't really watch it till I borrowed the series off a friend (and latterly then boght the DVD series)
    Ta Muchly

has yet to see firefly :|
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I always thought Firefly was excellent and after buying the DVD and seeing all the episodes I'm even more disappointed that the series was cancelled. An excellent premise and sparkling dialog where just a part of what made this series work so well. I know it's a huge leap of faith, but if Serenity does well enough, maybe the Sci-Fi Channel might bring it back. One can only hope.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Firefly was/is excellent, the DVDs are better than the TV show was.

I'm so looking forward to having some things cleared up in the movie.

Alex

Just read the latest announcement from GAMA Trade Show: Sovereign Press is set to publish and release a Serenity Role Playing Game (based on Joss Whedon's Firefly TV series and upcoming Serenity film) in August of this year.

Hopefully there will be more details to follow.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Just read the latest announcement from GAMA Trade Show: Sovereign Press is set to publish and release a Serenity Role Playing Game (based on Joss Whedon's Firefly TV series and upcoming Serenity film) in August of this year.

Hopefully there will be more details to follow.
    There was a whole slew of threads on RPG.net a few months ago about this. Actually, I'm surprised you're not up on the details already, REG!

It's a new system, supposedly. (No d20 or anything)
    The game is based entirely on the movie; sorry, no TV show license.
    That's about it. I personally have no interest in the property so that's where my following the information stops. Most people tend to be pretty suspicious regarding Sov. Press. Quality in the "meh" department.

That and lamenting over how they wish Eden got the license.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mappin
    There was a whole slew of threads on RPG.net a few months ago about this. Actually, I'm surprised you're not up on the details already, REG!
    RPG.net?

*hides under his security blanket*

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan