Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Idea] Lets Do Our Own Con Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mappin
    In sitting around and thinking about this hub-bub over the Decipher convention plans, an idea occurred to me on how to beat them at their own game and send a nice little message about our dissatisfaction.
    Remind me never to piss you off Don.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Remind me never to piss you off Don.
    Heh. Well, I'm not pissed...er, not yet at least. I am upset. Which, I suppose, should really scare you if I ever get to the "pissed" level.

Does anyone have any further ideas to throw into the pot? I've thought of some more but I'd like to hear people expand on the basis even further.

The real crux of the problem is finding people attending Origins and/or Gen Con. Having people use the material for their own local cons is fine but the ultimate end-result is to send a strong message to Decipher where they don't have the option to ignore e-mails and phone calls: The convention floor.

Tag line for our t-shirts: "Decipher screwed the Star Trek RPG...Ask me how!"

Ultimately my idea isn't so much to screw w/ Decipher or the RPG (that's a bonus), but more to highlight very clearly our dissatisfaction, get the fans working together on something with a goal, and build some momentum again. Ironically this is the same thing that Decipher wants to do; they just want us to do the work on Decipher's behalf.

I say cut out the middleman.

(There's also no reason why the LotR people couldn't do the same thing. Coordinated effort!)
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Considering the relative inexperience of Decipher's Trek coordinator this year, it shouldn't be too difficult of a task, Don.
    You're killing me, Doug! Killing me!

(Is it you or Tim?)
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

(Is it you or Tim?)
    That would be me...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I am glad you two are friends, as there have been a couple of foot in mouth moments since yesterday
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    I am glad you two are friends, as there have been a couple of foot in mouth moments since yesterday
    Who said we were friends?

We don't game together anymore. (Not sure why). He's dead to me...
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

We don't game together anymore. (Not sure why).
    Schedules and group dynamics killed the game we were in together, while schedules and non-Trek game preferences have pretty much helped keep it that way...

He's dead to me...
    Which is why he's trying to bury me this summer, I guess.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I like this...

Were that I hadn't opted out of GenCon in favor of DragonCon...
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

<SNIP>
    The real crux of the problem is finding people attending Origins and/or Gen Con. Having people use the material for their own local cons is fine but the ultimate end-result is to send a strong message to Decipher where they don't have the option to ignore e-mails and phone calls: The convention floor.

Tag line for our t-shirts: "Decipher screwed the Star Trek RPG...Ask me how!"

Ultimately my idea isn't so much to screw w/ Decipher or the RPG (that's a bonus), but more to highlight very clearly our dissatisfaction, get the fans working together on something with a goal, and build some momentum again. Ironically this is the same thing that Decipher wants to do; they just want us to do the work on Decipher's behalf.

I say cut out the middleman.

(There's also no reason why the LotR people couldn't do the same thing. Coordinated effort!)
    I have not made plans but I am about 4+ hours to Columbus, OH and my sister lives there. So I could atleast get the material to Origins some how. I have not GM much nor played the Coda version.

I was going to post that we should give them a taste of their own medicine (ie. tell Decipher "ya, will do a senario" then tell them we suspended work on it and are shopping it around, etc.) then do it on our own. But perhaps we should take a higher road and just make it a misconstrue message ("O, did you (Decipher) not want us to do it this way?").

But talk about t-shirts, those would not be a bad idea if they had the TrekRPGnet logo on them. The t-shirts would be a good consolation or subsititute prize. Another idea would be for fan made netbooks (the ESO comes to mind) to be print at say cafepress.com or burned onto CD-ROM and offered as prizes.

Should we go for a multiple round event? Living campaign type? Probably pregenerated characters. Make how Enterprise the series should have been??
    Last edited by spshu; 03-12-2005 at 12:08 AM. Reason: grammar
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

If you really wanted to make DECIPHER take notice run ICON Trek instead of CODA.

I guess you'd be more likely to do Icon than FASA or Prime Directive...

Don, I'm actually attending my first GenCon this year, so I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. I'm game for writing an adventure or two, but I'm frankly terrified at the prospect of running a game with a handful of total strangers. If someone else ran the thing, I'd happily hand out flyers, TP the Decipher booth, and generally act like a nusiance to the boys in the Decipher polos.

My wife has heard the length and breadth of my hat for Decipher and their practices, and I suspect she'd be good for some leaflet bombing.'

Anti-Decipherians untie!

I feel sorry for Doug it's a shame it's so many miles away or I'd love to come, though would be in the loitering camp, I'd be too shy roleplaying against Ameircans, I'm far to British
    Ta Muchly

Here is what I found on the main targeted coventions:

GenCon

GenCon Europe: nothing worked out yet for UK or Barcelona
    GenCon Indy: August 18-21, 2005
    Indiana Convention Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
    GenCon SoCal
    Nov. 17 - 20, 2005
    Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California

Origins, Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, OH
    2005: June 30 - July 3

When submitting new events, don't forget the Origins event blackout from 4 PM - 6 PM Thursday through Saturday, and 3 PM - 4 PM on Sunday

Deadlines
    The deadline for getting your events into the Pre-Registration Book has, unfortunately, already passed (it was January 10th, 2005; you might want to keep that in mind for Origins 2006). The final deadline for any events submission for this year's Origins is April 10th, 2005. Events submitted by that date will go into the On-Site Registration Book. Events will also go into our online database as they arrive and are approved between now and that deadline.

A way to get reduce badge rate for clubs and organizations!!! Need 8 members to do 128 hours of GM & volunteer work for 50% off.

Decipher is not even list on Origin's website as having any events or any one running events for Coda.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Which is why he's trying to bury me this summer, I guess.
    It's not you, Doug. Not you.

Talk about someone making baseless assumptions...
    Contributor, Gnome Stew