Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Idea] Lets Do Our Own Con Campaign

Lightbulb [Idea] Lets Do Our Own Con Campaign

In sitting around and thinking about this hub-bub over the Decipher convention plans, an idea occurred to me on how to beat them at their own game and send a nice little message about our dissatisfaction.

What if we held our own convention (con) campaign? All we need is 1-2 volunteers who would be attending Origins/Gen Con, get on the schedule and we’d be good to go. Follow me on this one…

It’s be easy to “crash” the official Decipher tables prior to their events and offer players the chance to play in a superior, created-by-the-fans-for-the-fans campaign. I’d be willing to offer up the material that I have to offer plus, and I don’t want to speak for Jim but I will , we could probably twist Ineti’s arm into helping as well. Give Dave Biggins a call and you’ve already got the top three con adventure writers on your side.

Prizes? No problem. Coda books are going for 50% or more. Play in the game, get a book! I guarantee you that Decipher won’t be doing that.

Pay to play? We don’t have to take people’s seat tickets. (“Bob, put away your generic ticket. Decipher may charge you to play in their game but we won’t.” For those that don’t know, you have to use event passes to sit in on a table/function, even company run ones.)

Hand out leaflets advertising the gaming schedule around the Decipher booth. Someone there might take interest and want to listen (Warren Holland?) as to why there’s a bunch of unhappy RPG fans running their own con schedule.

Get TrekRPGNet to help sponsor the event for some additional exposure.

The root of my idea is that we all know we can do better. Why not just prove it?

Discuss, criticize, and expand…
    Last edited by Don Mappin; 03-11-2005 at 10:51 AM.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

We are the same wavelength, Don, was considering this for a long time as per my Proposal for TrekRPGnet:
    6) Will look into providing scenarios and/or GMs for conventions to at least raise our profile.
    I was thinking that this would be down the road after the CMS was up, but if this project can get going now I would support it and will put a word in with the Site Development Team. There was some discussion in the Website development team forum for project forums, but we have not finalized rules for a project forum. Given that some of the forum members may want to play and a need to cooperate in development and Don's involvement, I am sure Cpt. Lundgren would set up a private project forum for this if need be.
    Last edited by spshu; 03-10-2005 at 01:20 PM.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Prizes? : Who is going to fund the prizes and make sure we have enough on had? Anyone have extra copies they might part with?

Pay to play?: Does not the convention share charge the event sponsor a portion of the event tickets per attendees (the amount usually based on who provides prizes)? I have not gone to any convention but from the con event booklet I have received that seem to be the case, so if we did not take tickets would we be on the line for the per attendee price.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Music to my ears, guys. If I was on this side of the pond I would very much like to see that (and help)! Let us know how it goes! Excellent idea.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

KillerWhale, who said it just had to be run at GenCon/Origins? That should just be the first run. Or are conventions scare over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mappin
    The root of my idea is that we all know we can do better. Why not just prove it?
    Considering the relative inexperience of Decipher's Trek coordinator this year, it shouldn't be too difficult of a task, Don.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I like this idea very muchly. Pity I can't travel.

If there's a gaming con in Western PA anybody wants to do this thing at... I'll do anything I can to help.

Like, I dunno, bring beer and pizza?

Do the prizes HAVE to be game-related, or could someone, say, donate unopened Star Trek model kits and toys? I might have a few of those lying around.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Treachery? Cunning Plans? A Coup? Where do I sign up?

As I am on the wrong side of the pond as well, I can't be physically present to help. But this is the digital age after all...

What can I do to help?
    • Coordination and/or project space if desired. As Spshu mentioned, we have been talking about how to handle a project forum. It looks like a project like this would pass the requirements with a breeze.
    • Tip jar/Donations. I have not bothered yet to read up on the legaleze involved in having a tip jar to support the site, as it would include a bi-directional money flow between the US and EU. Lets put up the tip jar, but direct it to support this instead. If I am not a middle man for the money, but only someone who point out where to donate, a lot of legal headache is avoided (assuming that I have grasped how this kind if donation work in the US, from a tax perspective).
    Anything else?

My main question to a group, working on this, is what kind of message to Decipher is intended. After all, there is positive attention and there is negative.

Mepacon

In response to First of Two, I do not know of any conventions out your way, but there is a convention April 8th - 10th in Scranton, PA called MEPACON. There are no Decipher games planned there yet, but I have been tossing around the idea (I'm just nervous about the idea of running a game at a convention when I've never been to a convention before).
    Isn't it going to suck when the Islamic extremists die for their cause and discover their 72 virgins are all GUYS?

Well, no matter what happens, it's still better than my idea of dressing up as Klingons and ransacking the Decipher booth while screaming "Publish or PERISH!" in Klingonese.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Well, no matter what happens, it's still better than my idea of dressing up as Klingons and ransacking the Decipher booth while screaming "Publish or PERISH!" in Klingonese.
    That's just the vigilante in you talking, First.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    I don't know...I might pay good money to see that....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

First of Two, transmission from the Borg collective at gameconventions.net shows only historical minature conventions in Pennsylvania. Andon use to run a number of conventions in I think Pittsburgh - Three Rivers Con, Andon Con, etc. but were bought out by WOTC and do not know what happen to them when WOTC jettison that subsidary. If you are in Western Pennsylvania, how far are you from Columbus, OH as that is where Origins is in? Gen Con is in Indianapolis, LA (I think) and Europe (moves, but no 2005 event).

Convention Listings by Jenga list some in PA.

I have resisted the last few years of conventions with my mates.. there's something just *shivers* about them

However as an evil plot goes that's a mighty fine idea I wouldn't have the first clue how to write a convention game (I barelly come for my mates ) But if you are looking for evil deas, I'm more than willing to help out
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by spshu
    KillerWhale, who said it just had to be run at GenCon/Origins? That should just be the first run. Or are conventions scare over there?
    Cons are not so common in here, but more precisely, Trek doesn't have a big fanbase in France. (Hell, sci-fi has close to no fanbase in France). I think the only froggies caring about Decipher's behaviour are about all on these boards (I exaggerate of course, but probably not much, sadly)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek