Thread: Conventions

Conventions

Not just Trek, not just gaming. Who goes to them? Whyat kind? How often? What do you do there? How into them are you? (Do you go in uniform or as a Klingon or anything?) Why do you go or why don't you?

I've been to a few Star Trek conventions here in Sacramento. I've never gone to a convention as a Klingon, I've only done that for halloween. But I do wear a coat I happened to see at a store and picked up that resembles a Voyager operations uniform, a Klingon at one of the conventions figured it was a cold weather engineering uniform. I guess I don't want to be seen on the street as a Klingon when it's not halloween. I go mainly to buy stuff. I had hoped to find a movie uniform there, but no luck. I've bought deckplans and magazines and such there. I'm still hoping I can eventually (this year?) find some more Red Alert! pieces there. I don't think there's ever been any roleplaying at the ones I've been to. The first one I went to had Dorn, Frakes, and Sirtis. Another had Shatner and Nimoy. I'm pretty sure I once waqlked right past Tim Russ without realizing it was him. I never cared to get anyone's autograph. I don't think I'd leave town for any conventions anytime soon, maybe I'd go to San Fransisco for one some day.

All the cons I've gone to have been in an official capacity: company representative, work the booth, run games, one time as a Gaming Guest of Honor (that was weird!). Something like two Origins and four Gen Cons. The one local con in Salt Lake is pretty disappointing.

I've never gone as a fan/player and not sure I could; there just doesn't seem to be enough to do to merit all the travel and hotel costs. Oh sure, walking the dealer floor is great fun, meeting people and seeing some demos, but I'm just not one for 4-hour one-shot RPG adventures. [shrug]

Costuming and LARPs just plain scare me.

I did one Trek convention in Boise and it was sad. Met Sirtis there. Met Koenig at Gen Con and had dinner w/ Aron Eisenberg (Nog, a gamer) at another Gen Con. Met Sean Austin, JRD, and Brad Dourif at Gen Con Indy. Sat next to Don S. Davis (Gen. Hammond) at breakfast at my hotel at Gen Con one year.

Have partied w/ Peter Adkison, Ryan Dancy, and a whole slew of industry notables. I think that's cooler than the celebs.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Wha?? You mean you're not a celebrity??

I feel much more fortunate to have associated with the likes of you, Steve, and S. John than I think I would with the big Trek actors.

My second copies of the TNG and DS9 core books are used ones signed by Steve and a few others. (I don't think they'd be forged... ). I didn't have to pay extra for that either (the TOS corebook I got the same way cost the same and wasn't signed. All three were like $17) Those signatures mean more to me than any big Trek actors would, I think. Maybe because I've actually communicated with you guys... regularly...

I've been to a few Star Trek cons in the Western PA / Eastern Ohio area... but Trek Cons have been dead in this area for about a decade now. I've never been to a comic con or a gaming con.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Well, I'll be flying to Fantasm this coming Thursday (On St. Patrick's Day no less. Where's my orange shirt?), and I'll be running a video room at Crescent City Con. I'll likely be scaring Don at both of them, as I'll be (non-trek) costuming. (I'll be wearing my Mad Max costume for parts of both cons, and I'll be dusting off my old letter jacket for Fantasm's prom dance) Unfortunately, both cons are coming to an end this year. CCC is finally being put to sleep, and Fantasm's con-com have all moved out of the Atlanta area.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

As long time posters here will probably remember, I have not only attended cons, I actually RAN one. It's called Philcon, and their webpage is HERE (but they don't have info up for this year yet, as there isn't a hotel contract at this point... but it will probably be in early December).

It was a great experience looking back, but it wasn't one at the time, and I will not recommend it to anyone (the amount of stress is a KILLER!).

I'd been going to it for years, and when I got the chance to run it, I went for it. Never again.

I still enjoy going to it every year. I also like Farpoint and Shore Leave in Hunt Valley (Trek/media cons), MD, Balticon in Baltimore, Lunacon in New York, Capclave in Pittsburg (all literary cons), and Dexcon in NJ (Gaming).

Feel free to ask me any sort of con related question... I've got a million stories at this point!
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

I used to attend cons a fair bit, and was heavily involved in Halcon, back in Halifax in the early 1980's - in fact, I was on the committee for the first Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Awards (now the Aurora Awards), and designed the first award, a wrought-iron statuette crafted by Michael Spenser and awarded to A.E. van Vogt.

I've only been to two cons so far, WondorCon '95. And ComiCon '04. My wife and I are fortunate enough that ComiCon is held here, and there is a small sprinkling of Star Trek Fans left. However, to be honest, we go for the Anime.

My wife's friend is also hosting a both (him and his circle of friends are trying to launch a comic) this year, so we are going to be part of his little advert-hord. Not to mention we've already pre-paid for '05.

All in all it's a good time. And good excersize.

However, if I could get a custom fitted DS9 uniform and a TR-116 . . . I would snipe ever wannabe storm trooper in the entire con!

So what do you guys do at these Cons? Seriously! Again, I've always worked them. But four days of walking the dealers room and pickup games with strangers whose quality of RP can vary wildly? (Plus having to pay for a seat at a table...just strange.)

Trying to decide if I'm going to go to Origins or Gen Con as, well, me. Without a posse to hang out with it all seems rather...been there, done that.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    5 hours 19 minutes until my flight takes off, or 6 1/2 hours until I get to Atlanta. (Assuming (knocks on wood) no flight delays) Allowing time for MARTA & the shuttle from there to the hotel, I should reach Fantasm with an hour to spare before the opening ceremonies. W00T! Hopefully I can grab a nap at the gate while waiting on my flight.

As for what I do at cons, generally I catch up with other fen I haven't seen since the last con, drink, run demos for SJ Games, drink, meet new fen whom I likely won't see again until the next con, and generally party a large number of my social peers (aka freaks). If you've seen the movie "Clan Of The Cave Bear", think of the scenes involving the big meeting of the clans. All these isolated groups coming together to reafirm their kinship. Now substitute Nerds for Neanderthals... As an added bonus, you get to meet women who aren't like the one in this Dork Tower cartoon... Sometimes they're even single...
    Last edited by Cybrludite; 03-17-2005 at 06:52 AM.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

I Really only go to one con a year and that is I-Con comming up in 2 weeks