Thread: The Languages

The Languages

Which do you prefer: Quenya or Sindarin? Or some other Tolkien language? How well versed are you in the languages? Do you have a Tolkienese name? Mine is Amon Aran, or something like that.

Et Eärelu, Endorenna Utúlien.
    Sinome maruvan
    ar hildinyar
    tenn' ambar-metta!

Definatelly Quenya.. Ok that's the only Quenya I know, and it's from the films hehe Don't ask me why I memorised it, I just did! I stumbed on this the other day -> http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qcourse.htm - only for the brave!
    Ta Muchly

I guess I prefer Quenya too, because I know of a website with The Lord's Prayer in hundreds of languages and dialects, including Quenya, but not Sindarin or Klingon. (I also think its cool that it has Bernese German and the Zurich dialect)

Sindarin is an ironic language because even though it is a far more common Elven tongue, Quenya is used in official contexts, such as ceremonies and occasions, including for men.. it's like Middle Earth's version of latin. After the Elves leave, it's far more likelly to be used, and indeed because of it's function in the stories as such it was much more prevalent, so more is known. very little Sindarin was ever written, relativelly.
    Ta Muchly