Thread: LUG Trek canon vs. new canon

Exclamation LUG Trek canon vs. new canon

I have a question: What will happen when something previously established in LUGTrek canon is refuted by information from the show?
    Up till now, the only problem like this so far was the bit with Weyoun saying Breen Homeworld is actualy a nice place, but that wasn't very major. What if, say, in Star Trek X something about Remus is revealed that invalidates an entire chapter of The Way of D'era (and what would've happened if the Klingon book had been released)?
    What , then, would be done? Errata on the website? Actually, I think it may be fortuitous that Decipher-Trek isn't coming out 'till about december, giving Decipher some time to fix the LUG trek canon given new info from Enterprise.

Arrow

<font color="orange">I have a question: What will happen when something previously established in LUGTrek canon is refuted by information from the show?</font>

We storm Paramount lot and start beheading the executives. Viva le Trek! Viva le Federation!

Just Kidding.

There is always a chance that future shows will address and change what have already been established as LUGTrek canon in past LUGTrek product. (I defined LUGTrek canon as plausible information used to filler or elaborate established Trek canon, for the purpose of gaming and consistency.) The writers of the TV series are not bound by the restriction or previously established information based on other sources like novels or games.

Since LUG no longer exist, do not expect official support for the released products in the form of errata. That now rest in the hands of the gamers. Perhaps through this channel (TrekRPGNet) we can receive updates to LUGTrek material to correct LUGTrek canon.

As for Decipher, they may also establish DecipherTrek canon as filler and/or explanation for established Trek canon. In any case, the material still need to be approved by Paramount before it can go on sale for the public.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 06-09-2001).]

Talking

It's a role-playing game. You are worried about "Trek Canon"?

Why?

Steve

Don't know if they'll follow it to the letter but I believe Decipher has the will and the way to use LUGTrek canon.

Perhaps they'll just build on it and overwrite the 'effectively' non canon info we know now and when Enterprise starts.

Here's hoping since they are ex-LUGgers

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    Don't know if they'll follow it to the letter but I believe Decipher has the will and the way to use LUGTrek canon.

Perhaps they'll just build on it and overwrite the 'effectively' non canon info we know now and when Enterprise starts.

Here's hoping since they are ex-LUGgers

</font>
    If I recall correctly (and I'm sure somebody will cheerfully correct me if I don't ), one of the DecipherTrek folks has already posted that, indeed, the LUGTrek background material will be carried over. Essentially, WotC owns the manuscripts of the LUGTrek materials published before the license changeover, but the information in an "intellectual property" sense is owned by Paramount...thus, for us, a convenient continuity into the new game.

Of course, DecipherTrek "canon" is mutable where contradicted on screen, but that was true of LUGTrek "canon" from the start. So nothing really changes.

That's an interesting question, and it's already problematic.

For example, the Andorian culture presented in the DS9 novel sequels contradicts the LUG book "Among the Clans: The Andorian". If "Enterprise" deals with the Andorian culture, we will probably have three completely different versions of this species: one from the RPG, one from the books, and one from the series (which will of course become canonical)

Arrow

Of course, when it comes to Trek RP gaming, the only canon that matters is what the Narrator/Gamemaster established as canon. He can just pick one and ignore the rest, or find a way to blend the canons (some if not all) into plausible explanations.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by REG:
    Of course, when it comes to Trek RP gaming, the only canon that matters is what the Narrator/Gamemaster established as canon. He can just pick one and ignore the rest, or find a way to blend the canons (some if not all) into plausible explanations.

</font>
    All to true REG!

Seems like your making it a race after all

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever