Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Dr Who

New Dr Who

just grabbed the first episode. IT's not bad actually
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Lightbulb

the offical site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

8th doctor was kinda a waste of an incarnation
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    just grabbed the first episode. IT's not bad actually
    Details, please (on how). Feel free to PM.

I'm a Dr. Who WHORE!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Man, I'm so geeked about this. Glad to see the Doctor back in time.... So, while one sci-fi addiction ends, my other one is ready to begin...
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Talking

The new actor (his name escapes me) seems to be a personable New Doctor, if a bit abrasive to those around him occasionally, but he'll grow on you quickly. He also seems to have that bakerish scatter brainess on the little details, but focuses on the task at hand.

The new Tardis interior is an interesting mix techno and organic parts which seems to fit the more modern look without being intrusive.

His companion, Rose, is not as annoying as I thought she would be and seems to be somewhat sensible. Which it looks like she might need to bring him down a few to remember the little details of whats going on.

Production values are nice and the opposition has that certain level of cheese I come to expect.

All and all, Very enjoyable.

You mean Christopher Eccleston?

He is a darn fine actor, catch in such films as The Second Coming, Shallow Grave and 28 Days Later.

Among a great many others.

Billie Piper would be far more worrying if you knew about her Teenie-Brit-pop background. But so far I have heard good things about her in this. Trust us, the announcement of Billie sent shudders of disgust through the UK, it would be akin to Justin Timberlake landing a lead role in SG-1 in concept. But so far, it seems to have paid off.

Just think. Only another week or so. The 26th or March, and then we have this gem reaching us on Auntie Beeb. Make a note of the date to avoid (or at least offer warning) too many spoilers please.

I still think the new tardis cockpit looks like a Farscape Refugee though.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Watched most of "Rose" last night (skimmed through about midway). Here are some early impressions from a longtime Dr. Who fan who's American.

1. Music. They kept the old (and by old, I mean Pertwee-Baker era) music. I was pleasantly surprised by this. My favorite version of Dr. Who theme was from the Davidson era, though.

2. Pacing. I really liked the pacing. Dr. Who episodes tend to be long-winded and can drag. Not so. In fact, I'd almost say the pacing was too quick!

3. Old School Nod. The villians in the pilot are a nod to the 'good old days' -- I really enjoyed seeing a long-forgotten villian make a repeat performance. I hope to see many other Dr. Who classic villians re-done in future episodes.

4. Rose. I don't find her particularly good looking but I did like Rose. She didn't whine or scream a lot and actually helped the Doctor. A nice mix of Leela meets Ace meets Sarah Jane meets Romana. I love how she put together who the Doctor was and didn't just freak out.

5. TARDIS. Didn't see too much of it but liked what I saw. Reminded me of the crappy TARDIS interior from the American Dr. Who TV movie, though.

Bads
    1. The Doctor. Yes, it was one episode but the new Doctor annoys me. His ultra high-speed technobabble and high-pitched voice were driving me insane. Plus, he looks "too normal" for my tastes, especially wardrobe. The Doctor's claim to fame is wearing a black leather jacket?

2. Length. I commended pacing but the length of the epiosde really caught me by surprise. A mere 44 minutes long? Old Dr. Who epiosdes were roughly 23 minutes long each and a story was a minimum of 2 episodes. Some, back in the Hartnell era, were 24 episodes long. Is this the norm now for British TV? Dr. Who plots aren't going to be very complex if they're going to fit the standard 44 minute formula. Also, I thought the UK didn't have commericals? Why 44 minutes then? (In the US that's perfect for commericals in a 1-hour show.)

3. Style. This is my biggest gripe and also sums up why people won't like this show, particularly Americans: It's too British! I couldn't understand half of what Rose or her "mum" were saying. Same with the boyfriend. The show looked very dated. Old Dr. Who didn't have that problem at all. I know Who and the BBC have a limited budget but if this is a flagship BBC production, it sure didn't show. From a production quality standpoint this show would be laughed off the air in the US. It looks...well, like a fan-made show, to be honest.

4. Acting. Fairly bland. Reminded me of a British sit-com. Noteworthy was the Doctor; was not impressed.

Of course this is just one episode and who knows what the series will bring. I'm excited to see Who return but unlike BSG, which oozed style, class, and great acting, the new Who seems tired and dated -- and we're only 1 episode in.

My rating, 2 out of 5 Daleks.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

uh...this isa pre production copy of the show Don. bootlegged before they were done with it. I'll be curious to see what the actual version is like later

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    uh...this isa pre production copy of the show Don. bootlegged before they were done with it. I'll be curious to see what the actual version is like later
    Ah, well in that case, ignore the above.

I did nab BSG as well. That cliffhanger.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Dr. Who is supposed to look fan made and cheesy! If it didn't THEN it would be appaling!

The reason it's being in a 44 minute format is fairly obvious.. The BBC doesn't support adverts, thought they are the only channel that don't (ok BBC 1 & 2) so if this was shown on cable channels it would also need to fit round adverts: and primarily it is exactly because they are aiming to be able to sell it internationally that it has to fit round the American format.. Because that format is what everyone else now has to put up with because of America!

As to the 'Too British' - I'll be the judge of that! Bad English accents on American TV make my skin crawl to the point of taking marks out on the travesties that do them. Biggest offender: Frasier - what on EARTH is that accent supposed to be and why are all her family speaking with an awful Dick Van Dyke-esque Cockney accent..when they're supposed to be from manchester! So YAY to REAL British accents!
    Ta Muchly

About bloody time!!

Anyone want a jellybaby?
    Going everywhere at the speed of plot

and in the Sixth Episode...DALEKS! Whoo Hoo!

Well Dalek.. Singular, slightly rusty around the edges
    Ta Muchly

I've seen 1-4 and will hopefully be getting 5 tonight or tomorrow. I also have a "final" version of "Rose" that I have set to burn to DVD and watch. Glancing, it doesn't appear too different than in my earlier review.

However, I have to say that the other episodes have been far superior to the pilot, "Rose." I still find Chris annoying, but at least he's toned it down a bit.

I do like the little snippits that they reveal about the Doctor, the Time War, etc.

Overall I'm pleased and will be getting the DVDs this summer.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Watching "World War Three" right now!

This two parter has been excellent thus far

[EDIT]

Just finished episode.... HOLY FRAK WAS THAT SMURFIN' AWESOME!

Ahem... sorry...

American (and Canadian) sci-fi producers, please, please, please watch this series and get it. This is quality television...

Whooooooooooooo!
    Last edited by AslanC; 04-25-2005 at 01:49 PM.