Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG 004-A

MODERATOR NOTICE: Let's keep the trolling to a minimum, you two, or I'll politely ask you both to go sit in opposite corners from one another. Silverstreak, you are obviously a rabid d20 fan; TDK, you are obviously a slavish CODA maven. Nary the twain shall meet, so give it a rest before we moderators are forced to take action. You have been warned.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    CODA has prestige classes.
    Nowhere near the amount D20 has.

"Command training"?
    Again, I've made characters up, they don't come out anywhere near as skilled as they did in ICON in the CODA system. D20 offers more flexibility I think, especially if one was to use the D20 Modern book and the D20 Future book.

MODERATOR NOTICE: Silverstreak, you will not be warned again. Cease your trolling, thank you.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    MODERATOR NOTICE: Silverstreak, you will not be warned again. Cease your trolling, thank you.
    I'm not trolling, I am discussing the topic thank you very much. Considering I only post here once in a blue moon, I'd hardly call what I do trolling. Sorry you don't agree with me that D20 is a superior game system, but that is my opinion and I am certainly entitled to discuss it in this thread.

What part of Silverstreak's behaviour could be considered trolling?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Just so you know that I am not moderating here...

While I agree with you that this does not appear to be trolling, it is getting rather forceful, and considering that argueing on the internet is a waste of time as nobody ever seems to change their mind, and that the LAST time TDK argued forcefully he annoyed a longtime member/fan based material contributer who went on to leave the boards and delete their account, may I suggest that when you know neither one of you is not going to change your mind and have said your piece its best to disagree and move on...

I can see where this is headed if you dont, and the recent events from the Coda V2 thread stated above has us mods on tenderhooks as this place is quiet enough without people leaving due to a small time arguement.

Show a modicum of restraint and keep this place the mature level-headed environment that drew so many of us here in the first place, leave the petty arguements to myspace and facebook.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

That's all fine and dandy, I was surprised to see someone think we were arguing. I thought we were discussing the points each game brought to the table.

In all fairness i went and made up a CODA Starfleet Character today. Still don't like it, but at least I went away from the debate willing to give his suggestions a try. I had no idea someone would consider what I was doing trolling. That's almost insulting.

Maybe that was why the guy left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    [B]While I agree with you that this does not appear to be trolling, it is getting rather forceful,
    Howso?

may I suggest that when you know neither one of you is not going to change your mind and have said your piece its best to disagree and move on...
    That's strongly implying that even discussing the disagreement is frowned upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
    Nowhere near the amount D20 has.
    Well, d20 wasn't left in a ditch like an adorable Disney animal protagonist at the end of by it's producer. The whole professional ability thing wasn't implemented as smoothly as I'd like, though, and there's not much similar to the exception-based or iconic abilities d20 classes are based around in CODA professions.

Again, I've made characters up, they don't come out anywhere near as skilled as they did in ICON in the CODA system.
    How many Add'l Tours and advancements are we talking about?

D20 offers more flexibility I think, especially if one was to use the D20 Modern book and the D20 Future book.
    There's a True20 conversion on their boards, IIRC...

How would you treat phasers?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak
    I'm not trolling, I am discussing the topic thank you very much. Considering I only post here once in a blue moon, I'd hardly call what I do trolling. Sorry you don't agree with me that D20 is a superior game system, but that is my opinion and I am certainly entitled to discuss it in this thread.
    The tone I inferred was adversarial and smacked of the "One Game To Rule Them All" kinds of arguments that characterize much of what passes for so-called discussion of games and gaming on the internet. Just because you prefer the d20 rules does not in fact make them superior, nor does TDK's preference for CODA make them inferior. You aren't going to change your mind, nor is he. Add the fact that you both appear too stubborn to just walk away without someone separating you, and therein you see the heart of the problem. This will go on endlessly until everyone else leaves. Maybe you're glad to see all those who disagree with you depart for elsewhere, but most of us like the camaraderie we have here and prefer to see thoughtful, constructive posts rather than pointless bickering. Hopefully that clarifies the issue?

nor does TDK's preference for CODA make them inferior.
    Where did I say I preferred CODA?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Where did I say I preferred CODA?
    What your actual preference may be is immaterial. You were the one defending CODA in recent posts, were you not?

How many Add'l Tours and advancements are we talking about?
    I only made a base character yesterday, exactly as I would have made a level 1 character in D20. I did make some higher ranking characters last year or so in CODA and I had to take something like 12 or 13 advancements to make a Bridge Officer. It just seemed a bit much.

There's a True20 conversion on their boards, IIRC...
    Where would I find this D20 version? Could you point it out to me, I'm trying to convert the game to D20 and it is taking a long time. LOL, I could use a bit of help.

How would you treat phasers?
    Just give the weapon damage based on what setting it is on, just like they did in ICON.

The tone I inferred was adversarial and smacked of the "One Game To Rule Them All" kinds of arguments that characterize much of what passes for so-called discussion of games and gaming on the internet. Just because you prefer the d20 rules does not in fact make them superior, nor does TDK's preference for CODA make them inferior. You aren't going to change your mind, nor is he. Add the fact that you both appear too stubborn to just walk away without someone separating you, and therein you see the heart of the problem. This will go on endlessly until everyone else leaves. Maybe you're glad to see all those who disagree with you depart for elsewhere, but most of us like the camaraderie we have here and prefer to see thoughtful, constructive posts rather than pointless bickering. Hopefully that clarifies the issue?
    It explains how you saw it yes, thank you for that. That wasn't how I was seeing it though. I was simply trying to say that a D20 version of the game would be a lot better than most of the ways the franchise has been handled so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
    I only made a base character yesterday, exactly as I would have made a level 1 character in D20. I did make some higher ranking characters last year or so in CODA and I had to take something like 12 or 13 advancements to make a Bridge Officer. It just seemed a bit much.
    Sorry to barge in... but on that matter I'd like to point out that 1 advancement in CODA doesn't equal a level in D20. If I remember correctly (don't have my books at hand), it is possible to earn something like 1 advancement per adventure in CODA, so something like 12 or 13 advancements is not that high after all, and certainly not like a level 12 in D20.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    Sorry to barge in... but on that matter I'd like to point out that 1 advancement in CODA doesn't equal a level in D20. If I remember correctly (don't have my books at hand), it is possible to earn something like 1 advancement per adventure in CODA, so something like 12 or 13 advancements is not that high after all, and certainly not like a level 12 in D20.
    What I meant was, you make a level 1 D20 character, then make a beginning level CODA character, then make a beginning level ICON character. CODA characters seem to come out on the shortest end of the stick, while ICON generally are the most skilled.

I think that D20 however, could offer a more balanced progression if it was done say, similar to D20 Future or Star Wars D20 Saga.