View Poll Results: Favorite Trek TV series?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Original Series

12 25.00%
  • The Next Generation

13 27.08%
  • Deep Space Nine

21 43.75%
  • Voyager

1 2.08%
  • Enterprise

1 2.08%
  • The Animated Series

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Been a while since we had one o' these

The TCW was poorly executed, meaning it took them too long.

Seriously, I had no problem with the TCW, at least not with its presence, but I guess it coulda been done better. And I wouldn't have minded if it lasted four (or seven) years.

Rather hard choice here...

TNG and DS9 are a really close tie. DS9 had better episodes on the whole than TNG IMHO (bar the Ferengi episodes in the last seasons), and a better internal continuity (better is putting it mildly, since TNG had none at all).
    OTOH, since I'm an idealist, I prefer the TNG Federation to the grittier, more cynical DS9 one. And I absolutely hated the Maquis in both series (but it was more present in DS9). Mind you, I found Section 31 a very good idea (it explained how the TNG Federation could survive).

All in all, this would make TNG first with DS9 an extremely close second.

ENT and VOY I have not seen enough to be sure, but I rather liked them.

The movies : I like Kirk better in these than in TOS (which is not very hard given how I hate him - sorry guys ). My favorite remains First Contact, although I loathe the idea of a Borg Queen, followed by TVH - I just love time travel and humour too much.
    Insurrection and ST:V are my less loved ones (I hate stories about "we dropped all technology and are much happier than you, thank you very much", and watching the 5 first minutes of a movie and wondering whether I'm not watching Star Wars instead is a bad sign). I'd have to watch Nemesis once again to finally decide where to put it, since there were lots of thing things I liked and disliked in this movie.

TOS is the worst for me - sorry, but discovering this series in the 2000s is really too hard. There were good episodes in there indeed, but Kirk never managed to grow on me.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Balok
    DS9 / TOS: DS9 is the best of the modern series, in my view, and TOS is the series that started it all, and the one I remember from childhood, and the one without which there would be no others. These things count, with me, for at least as much as story quality and acting, either of which, by themselves, are inferior to DS9 and perhaps even TNG (later seasons). These two periodically switch places on my ranking, right now, DS9 *just* edges out TOS because I've seen it more recently.

TNG: A well done reinvention with generally interesting characters and stories, and decent acting. But generally inferior to DS9.

ENT: A good try, but marred by too many poor episodes in the early seasons. The temporal cold war was poorly executed, and there were too many serious deviations from canon.

VOY: Just my least favorite series. Mulgrew never impressed me as a captain, although that's more about the usually bad writing than about her. The other characters were bland and featureless to me. The bright spot was the holographic doctor, a role enhanced by Picardo's charm and wit.
    undefined

I can't add or improve on these observations.......spot on!
    We Fight To Enrich The Spirit. (qa' aIje'meH maSuv):House Motto.

1. DS9-- the writing remained strong from the beginning (although seasons 1 & 2 stumbled a bit in direction). I think it lost some direction during the seventh season, but still was my favorite.

2. TNG-- seasons 1 & 2 were a bit dodgy, but still manage to produce Q, The Borg, and "The Measure of Man."

3. ENT-- seasons 1 & 2 were off and on, season 3 & 4 excellent 90% of the time.

4. VOY-- I loved Voyager up until Dark Frontier (middle of Season 5). After that, only a dozen episodes are actually worth watching.

5. TOS-- Seasons 1 & 2 were pretty good, setting the tone for the rest of Star Trek, but they suffered a little bit from "just like Earth syndrome" (It's another planet... just like Earth...) Season 3 was bad except for a few.

6. TAS (Haven't had a chance to see it)

The Movies:

The Trilogy (2, 3, 4)-- These three movies really capture all the values of Star Trek. I like them all, even "Spock"

Star Trek 6-- An excellent allegory, this film is wonderfully directed and acted, on par with the trilogy

First Contact-- A wonderful film to introduce people to Star Trek and a treat for existing fans of the series too.

Generations-- Plot holes put this one farther down then it would otherwise be.

TMP (Director's Cut)-- greatly improved this movie with DC. A little slow at times, but a classic story (if a little bit of a TOS re-hash) and beautifully shot.

Insurrection-- Bad effects and some holes in the plot lower this one, but it's still a good movie.

Final Frontier-- Could have been much better, had it been re-written once more and actually given money by Paramount.

Nemesis-- I am just not drawn to this film like the other nine. Clumsy writing shows even when Patrick Stewart is saying the lines.

TOS, by a longshot. Paramount could never reproduce the chemistry, and the stories were more fantastic. Fantastic not as a personal critique, but, the scope of the stories. TOS was written like a "Twilight Zone in Space", something that the later series lacked more and more. TNG managed recreate the magic at times, I suppose, but TOS was lightning in bottle. Maybe I'm just a soft, old, nostalgic romantic. On the other hand, if ENT was written more like BSG I would've enjoyed it more.