Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West End - Star Trek D6 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace
    From what I've seen, REG, it will be a stand alone game. You shouldn't have to buy anything else to play it.
    I wonder if that is a good thing for WEG, unless they gave up on promoting their d6 Space rulebook, and just billed a much higher royalty payment to ADB.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Well, since it's not being put out by WEG specifically, I don't think it's a matter of what game is being billed for it. The subsidiary company of Final Sword Productions will be the company putting it out, and they have the clearance to use the D6 system. With Final Sword getting the go-ahead to do the Prime Directive conversion to D6, it's up to Scott Palter to decide how best to do it and which "version" of D6 he wants to focus on. He could use the new D6 Space, but at the same token, he had nothing to do with D6 Space. He's had more to do with the old Star Wars D6 and some side ventures with Psibertroopers, as well as a hand in some of the Metabarons stuff, so he's probably going to go with what is more familiar to him, rather than to what is best for WEG, which he is not really a part of.

Hopefully that clears some things up.

Perhaps, but WEG must have some say regarding the use of their rules system in PD6 during the licensing negotiation. I'm just curious as to what the WEG's state of [business] mind regarding this matter ... not that I'm overly concerned about the state of their business.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Scott has mentioned on the list that the release date is June 2005 and that he was going to use The Metabarons version as it was what he used in Psibertroopers. That may change in the coming months but that's what was last mentioned by him.
    I don/t believe WEG had any say as he is a licencer from them. So as long as he abides by the agreement he has with WEG in regards to the use of their system, they would have no say in what "version" he would use as he was the one that got the PD licence.
    That's my opinion and my impression from the way scott has talked about it, and that Niki (the line developer for the "new" D6 system) hasn't said anything contrary on the list.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Question

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant
    I don/t believe WEG had any say as he is a licencer from them. So as long as he abides by the agreement he has with WEG in regards to the use of their system, they would have no say in what "version" he would use as he was the one that got the PD licence.
    But that's the thing. What sort of agreement he has with WEG? What's WEG incentive for allowing PD6 using their rules system as a standalone core rulebook, rather than being a "GURPS-like worldbook" supplement to their own d6 Space that came out last year (which if I believe what I have heard on the internet, they didn't launch well as expected, sales-wise)? Higher royalty payments? If so, how much will that passed onto their customers in the form of the increased retail price per PD6 book?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    So how much of the Metabarons material (is that line still continuing?) are now in the new d6 System, mainly that book called d6 Space?
    "The Metabarons and the Metabarons logo, Humanoids Publishing and the Humanoids Publishing logo are trademarks of Les Humanoïdes Associés S.A., Geneva (Switzerland), " from West End Games website. As the original West End Games had problems keeping up with royalities to Humanoid that Humaniod acquired them from bankruptcy and merged them with Yeti as D6 Legend, Inc. It is therefor highly unlikely that they will relicense it until Purgatory Publishing, Inc. gets some what stable and has some history behind it.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

This is interesting. I didn't know the d6 system was still around. I had heard that it and West End were dead.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by ds9guy View Post
    This is interesting. I didn't know the d6 system was still around. I had heard that it and West End were dead.
    The original West End Games has been gone. The 2nd was D6 Legends, Inc. DBA (doing Business As) West End Games then sold the WEG to Purgatory Publishing, Inc., which is again DBA West End Games. Purgatory Publishing is now having trouble causing him to put WEG IPs up for sale.

Now that ADB has gone throw several writers for Prime Directive D6 and now have put the project in limbo pending resolution of WEG sale.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting