Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West End - Star Trek D6 ?

West End + Amarillo Design Bureau = Star Trek D6 ?

from http://gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=16453

West End also informs us that they are producing with Amarillo Design Bureau a D6 System book for Star Trek. The volume will be called D6 Prime Directive and is expected out in July. Subsequent sourcebooks are possible, although specifics are not fully confirmed at this time.

edit: apparently this is based on the Starfleet Battles universe based on discussion elsewhere
    Last edited by jened; 04-01-2005 at 11:02 AM.

What if West End were to also get the license for True Trek? I hadn't quite thought of that specific possibility yet, maybe because West End wouldn't be able to afford it? With Prime Directive spreading out to multiple systems, would Paramount/ Viacom/ Nickelodeon even care anymore (if they ever did) if True Trek was in the exact same system as PD? It would be cool to have True Trek in the old Star Wars system. I actually remember seeing an old WEG Star Trek adventure game that looked like a quasi RPG once.

West End Games licensed the d6 System to ADB/Starfleet Games for Prime Directive RPG. Scott Palter, the original founder of West End Games and a new company, Final Sword Productions, is providing the d6 Stats for Prime Directives.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Moved to Prime Directive forum.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

so why isnt Prime Directive considered "Star Trek"?
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Ever hear of the Star Fleet Technical Manual? Apparantly the owners of Star Trek at the time didn't have much faith in the value of Trek, and made a stupid deal (for them any way) which gave Franz Joseph too many rights. He was able to sublicense elements of Trek for the Star Fleet Battles game, from which came the Prime Directive RPG. At some point there was a court battle defining these rights that the lucky guys could use elements from the Tech Manual but not actual specific characters from the show. They wound up being able to do stuff from the original series and TAS, but not the movies or anything outside of the 23rd Century.

Somewhere on my CDs are my Star Trek d6 conversions, based on a mixed universe (yes I know, me and my inability to run canon Trek :P ) I will try and dig them out and post them if there is any interest.

If it is like the old west end game star wars that is great . you can make up a character in ten minutes or so . You get roll lots of dice .

Talking

Of course. Which is why some of us dubbed d6 as the "bucket o' dice" system.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    Somewhere on my CDs are my Star Trek d6 conversions, based on a mixed universe (yes I know, me and my inability to run canon Trek :P ) I will try and dig them out and post them if there is any interest.
    Yea, I'd like to see that Aslan!

Hello all .

It was a slow day at work . Here is my thoughts for WEG starwars phasers . Trek is higher tech than Star Wars from my point of view . On the shows phasers are used in many different ways .

The West End games Starwars 2nd edition is what i am basing the phasers on . I am skipping the tech-o-babel on how phasers work . The internet and other books has many views on this detail . A google search for images of phaser will turn lots and lots .

TOS era Weapon for W.E.G. Starwars RPG 2nd .

Starfleet Hand held weapons

Phaser type one
    Character scale
    damage range
    +3 – 3d+1 / 3-10 30 60
    setting modes
    stun , prolong firing

power cell = 20 charges

Phaser type two
    Character scale
    damage range in meters
    +3 – 6d / 3-25 50 120
    setting modes
    stun , prolong firing , pulse and area effect ( stun only )

power cell = 50 charges

Phaser rifle
    Damage range
    low power (character scale)
    2d – 8d / 3 – 75 200 500
    hi power ( speeder scale )
    1d – 4d /10 – 500 1,000 2,000
    setting modes
    low power – stun , prolong firing , pulse and area ( stun only )
    hi power - prolong firing , pulse

power cell = 200 ( hi power shots x3)

prolong firing cost one extra charge each round of combat . The shooter still has to roll to hit . The first round of combat no extra damage but the second round one extra damage die , third round adds two dice and so on . No extra charges are paid for added damage .

If you fire a phaser on prolong mode for 5d . it cost 6charges each round . First round will cause 5d damage , 2nd will cause 6d , thrid will cause 7d but still cost 6 charged each round . You have to roll it hit each rounds .

Pulse mode makes to easier to hit . The cost is one extra change . A shooter can take one or two dice from damage and add to hit roll .

Area stunning is one meter per each dice . The stun damage is cut in half . The range is out to 30 meters . One extra cell for this mode settings.

one charge is spent per dice of damage or +3 . other setting have change cost to them .

Quote Originally Posted by toadmage
    The West End games Starwars 2nd edition is what i am basing the phasers on .
    Wait a minute. Isn't there already a new version of d6 released last year? It may differentiate from WEG-Wars.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Final Sword Productions is doing PD D6. It's headed by an ex-WEG staffer and he posted on the D6 list that he would be using the metabarons version of D6 which is essentally 2nd edition/2nd edition revised.
    And Reg, yeah West End did put out a new sysytem, It basically uses the old D6 mechanic but adds the adds/disadds from their masterbook system. They released it in 3 genres. Adventure, Fantasy, and Space.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Question

So how much of the Metabarons material (is that line still continuing?) are now in the new d6 System, mainly that book called d6 Space?

Will PD6 be a standalone, or will you be required to have WEG's d6 Space rulebook?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

From what I've seen, REG, it will be a stand alone game. You shouldn't have to buy anything else to play it.