Thread: TrekRPG 004-A, B, C, D, E, F, etc.

TrekRPG 004-A, B, C, D, E, F, etc.

What if the TrekRPG license were to be divided up next time? What if several companies each did a separate d20 game, one each for TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and/ or the movies? Or a separate new system for each series? I imagine the latter is particularly unlikely, but would it make any kind of marketing sense to do either one? Vulcans from each company with separate stats... argh! At least you could pick and choose which d20 version you wanted. Methinks a division would have been likely before LUG, but has anything been said indicating that it won't happen in the future?

Interesting concept, but I prefer one system/one game for the whole universe. Here's why:

For my games (and I think for many GMs), I want to be able to pick and choose from the different shows. Perhaps I want a game where a Klingon ship gets thrown into the Delta Quadrant, or where the USS Exeter from makes first contact with, say, the Cardassians... during the movie era... or maybe even the Betazoids during the TOS time period.

It's all one universe... I don't think that it needs more than one game.

IMNSHO... YMMV

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

For a short time the comic book licenses were done like that.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    What if the TrekRPG license were to be divided up next time? What if several companies each did a separate d20 game, one each for TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and/ or the movies? Or a separate new system for each series?
    Well, it would be one hell of a major confusion.

Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Yeah, I never said it would be a good thing over all.

As I recall, it was also common for computer games to be licensed like that, particularly for Trek.

I remember specifically because the Dominion Wars computer game could only use the ships feature in the DS9 shows - it wasn't a big deal since most of the main starships showed up there at least once, but still - if the Akira and the Galaxy had shown up in at least one ep. Simon and Shuster would not have been able to include it in their game.

Its a rather evil way for company to license their IP, especially in the field of comic books.

Its the main reason I have avoid licensed products like the Authority game by Guardians of Order. I want a Wildstorm game, not just an Authority game.

If Viacom started licensing a Enterprise, Next Generation, etc games to different companies then I would pass on the whole thing. I mean, its not like I don't have CODA and ICON to fall back on...
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

I say.. PASS too. I'm not going to buy 5 different versions .. when I already have 2! Surplus to requirements!

If Decipher thought sales were low for the game before, doign that would kill them, and fracture if not completelly disintergrate the market.
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by prophetsteve
    As I recall, it was also common for computer games to be licensed like that, particularly for Trek.

I remember specifically because the Dominion Wars computer game could only use the ships feature in the DS9 shows - it wasn't a big deal since most of the main starships showed up there at least once, but still - if the Akira and the Galaxy had shown up in at least one ep. Simon and Shuster would not have been able to include it in their game.
    Simon and Shuster is the publishing arm of Viacom, even owns the Pocket Book imprint that Star Trek books are published under.

Quote Originally Posted by prophetsteve
    Its a rather evil way for company to license their IP, especially in the field of comic books.

<snip>

If Viacom started licensing a Enterprise, Next Generation, etc games to different companies then I would pass on the whole thing. I mean, its not like I don't have CODA and ICON to fall back on...

As I do recall it being mentioned that FASA was slapped on the wrist by Paramount by publishing the Next Generation Sourcebook since the where not licensed for it, thus rumored to be one of the reasons that they lost the license.

It has been mentioned in the media that Paramount tries to keep each show stand alones. Perhaps for licensing reasons or their way to justify a new show. It seems that was carried through with Last Unicorn Games publishing format for each series to have a core book, possibly contributing to LUG's problems. While I do not know everything that happened with Last Unicorn Games, why would Paramount farm it out to just one RPG company like that again as RPG companies are prone to failure? On the fipside, we have Decipher not making enough profit thus halting publication (probably a stronger company finanical than LUG to be able to do that or atleast more diversified).

With five companies agreeing to a common systems, it might work, whether it was d20 Systems, Coda, another licensed system or new one. (D20 or Coda would be most preferable for logical reasons of likely hood of current marketability.) There would be the combined strength of the five companies putting out sourcebooks and the like, with possibly of joint publication of a core rule book. The core book could be bundled in some fashion with the primary show sourcebook for each company to sell. A lot more supplements could hit the market quicker. Of course, the company licensing Voyager would have the "short end of the stick". As the series takes place in the Deta Quadrant and not the most popular series, it would be the least likely have reasonable sales.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Maybe there would be one company for each of the three centuries, or divide the 23rd into TOS and the movies? Or have everything separate except bundle VOY with TNG? Maybe the VOY series would be the only one allowed to use the Borg, or people would buy some of their stuff just so they could use Intrepid (and Nova?) class ships? Or Voy would be the only game with time travel? Or the only one covering anything from the 25th century on? Or the only one with a worldbuilding system? Delta quadrant stuff would certainly be worth having, but I agree it would have poor sales. But do you really think they'd use Coda? Multiple companies?